Islamic Forum
islamgirl

Who Has Ever Been Inside A Church Or Syngage

who has ever been inside a church or syngaoge  

2 members have voted

1. 1. I have been inside a church only once

• I have been insdie a church but didnt like it
    • i have been inaside a synagaoge but hated it prefer more the mosque masallah
    • i have been inside both and it gave me the creeps prefer more a mosque
  2. 2. I have been inside a jewish syngaoage but a long time ago only once

• i have been inside both and would never ever return to thos eplaces again
  3. 3. i have been insdie both long a time ago

• I have been inside a church only wit my school we were on a trip
    • i have never ever been insdide and would never visist them only mosques

Asalamu Alkueim Wa-rhmtuh-allahi-wa-baraktuh

dear brotehr and sisters

just curious who has ever been inside a church or syngaoage

PropellerAds

Well as I was a Christian before I have been in many churches but I have never been in a synagogue. And as I live in Ireland churches are just about everywhere so they don't give me the creeps..its just a building.

lol for some people it give the creeps

I accidentally went to a church once; I call it an accident because the building didnt look like a church from outside; it looked like a business. The reason me and my agnostic friend went there was they had advertised in the news papers that there was a UFO discussion to be held in that location. When we got in the place, we grabbed the front chairs; what a surprise it was when the preacher walked in..we were stuck for almost an hour in there...it felt weird being there; both of us were very annoyed..looking back at it now, I find it amusing. :sl:

I've visited a synagogue, cathedral and monastery, and Orthodox church.

It was nice experience to me, but I feel much much better when I'm in Masjid :sl: :sl:

I've been in many churches and I have been in a synagogue once for a school project. There just buildings to me nothing creepy about them and if I had to go back I would.

• Like 1

Oh, churches can be very creepy at night--but then again they tend not to be open at night. Due to the holdover of designs of old that were mostly rejected by modern builders elsewhere, there's something very ancient and otherworldly about their architecture, as though they're the ghosts of another time. Then again, back in the age of Gothic design they were not only mundane but downright cheerful, the eerily tall windows letting in a lot more light than most pre-electricity types of buildings could allow for. Which of course meant that they had to go and muck that up too with stained glass.

I went to church for years and years. To a Christian it's a pretty everyday thing, and feels no different from going to school or work. I didn't mind it. You didn't give us enough poll options for me to say this above, though.

• Like 1

sorry i ran out of questions :sl:

Gothic cathedrals can be very creepy, because of the sculptures and they feel like haunted places, especially at night. You can see the evil of the witch delusion from the middle ages in the paintings and artwork. I don't wanna know how many women and men died cruelly in those churches because they were deemed witches. Cathedrals are actually creepier than graveyards, in fact their are actually graveyards itself.

Edited by Kai Thaabit

THE ONLY THING THAT R BEAUFTIUEL ITS ONLY Masjids WALLAH

BETETR THEN THOSE SYNGAGOES AND BLOODY CHURCHES

salam alaykum,

this poll does not give options to vote in a proper way, still i want to write my thoughts about the subject.

since i raised in a country which has a muslim population, i had never been in a church before. however, when my age was around 16-17, i started to wonder what it was like inside. i and my cousen decided to go the one in Kadıköy (a district in Istanbul that a lot of non-practising muslim go or live). there are a lot of churches in istanbul, but this one was the closest to where we live. Anyway, we were so shy, and stepped into the yard of the church, a watchman was just in the entrance of the church. although he saw us, he didnt come to us and ask if we needed help. then we went by his side, he was sulky, and acted like we were a bug or something disgusting. we were surprised to be treated like that, because we were respectful. he didnt welcome us and didnt let us go inside which made me sick. i think this was because we were "hijabi" girls. 

after this experience, i was even more curious. after some time i went to the one in Taksim (a touristic place). it was only interesting to me, thats all. and when i was in birmingham, i also went to see how a church was like in England.

i've never been in a synagog before, because i am so scared of jews lol.

Edited by muzur

Assalamu alaikum. 

This poll doesn't really offer enough fair options for me to share my opinion on the subject... But regardless, I've been inside many churches. I was a Christian in the past, so of course I attended church, and never once did I find church scary or creepy. I just didn't believe Christians were worshiping God the true way (the Islamic way.) I never believed Jesus and God were one, nor did I believe Jesus was the son of God; I believed in him as a prophet, even when I called myself a Christian. 

• Like 2

:sl:

I agree with Amber. Options are not enough. I didn't find one to click.

I did visit several churches around the world, mostly historical sites, like the Vatican for example.

I hold high respect for religious buildings. I liked the paintings that tell detailed stories. I also appreciate the music, Organ and chorus. I watched in owe and respect how people light candles and how their eyes shine with hope.

I've also visited several Buddhist shrines in south east Asia, and a Hindu temple. The last one was sooo funny to watch, specially when people bath their stone-made huge belly gods with milk and other colored liquids, then someone passes with a tray of fire, and people would put their hands inside the fire and cry in joy!.

It all makes me think that: everyone around the world hold deep in heart the longing for their creator. I feel sorry for all of them, for , even though we all have the same goal, they are all going into the wrong direction, and I pray that they are guided to the true path of Islam.

• Like 2

I did visit several churches around the world, mostly historical sites, like the Vatican for example.

Mashallah uncle, you had a chance to visit many around the world. I am just curios: have you been in Istanbul and visited the Masjids? if so, what is your opinion about them when comparing the ones in Misir?

Edited by muzur

I won't do the poll because none of those choices apply to me. I was a Catholic before, and have been to hundreds of churches of all sects of Christianity. I never felt uncomfortable there.

I can't do the poll either as it's not applicable to me.

I've never been inside a synagogue. I have however been inside a church while on a school trip back in my single digit years. It was small quaint and creepy. This was because it had a graveyard on the property. We went there because some historic person was buried there (don't remember who...).

On a tangent, I've always liked gothic churches. They look so beautiful :rolleyes: !

• Like 1

Mashallah uncle, you had a chance to visit many around the world. I am just curios: have you been in Istanbul and visited the Masjids? if so, what is your opinion about them when comparing the ones in Misir?

Yes sister, I've been to Istanbul, but that was long ago (30 years)

The masajid there are amazing, The Sultan Ahmed Masjid and many others.

In here, the historic Masjids are much simpler than in Istanbul. Yours are more luxurious.

I've been inside churches before, and it was kinda boring. The only reason why I did that was because my school said that we had to. But I had no religion and didn't care about the religious aspect of it.

However, this year I managed to skip school when we were supposed to go to two churches. I don't think I want to go to a church again inshallah

In addition to my previous comment in this thread - I visited a synagogue for the first time while I was in Poland. It was very nice, and the people there were welcoming. It wasn't very interesting so I don't plan to go again - but will continue to visit churches sporadically.

Salaam alaiykum,

I didn't vote because I didn't like the options.  I have been inside several churches.  Was trying to find a church that was close to what the Bible taught before I finally came to Islam.  I was raised in the Bible belt so not going to church is very unusual.  never been inside of a synagogue though.  Have to admit was a bit afraid when I first went to the masjid, admittedly thought I might be killed or something.  Now I realize the ignorance of my mindset back then but that is what the American people are being taught. 

I am Muslim that was born into a Muslim family so there was never need to go to a church, and this subject of a Muslim going into a church is a very touchy subject in Malaysia for some reason.

The first time I was in a church I was in Paris. At Montmarte, the sepulcher on that hill, the one with the 300 steps things. So yeah I went inside the base and was like okay, Churches sell candles for prayer, I think it was 2 Euros per candle. I saw the inside of it, a lot of candles and judging images of the sculptures and the pictures on the windows. It was my first time and I was like are they looking at me? Do they know I am a Muslim? 

I went to the panoramic view which make you take like 300 steps of stairs and this was during the winter, and I was carrying all this heavy jackets. However you get to see the whole of Paris. and it was almost worth it taking the steps up but they made you pay for that. Then I went down into the crypt as well and they made you pay for that too. I was circling around and there was this very angry sculptures and they look scary. There was one statue of a pope I think or was it a priest, I don't know a guy, the body had no head, it was decapitated, The left hand of the body was holding the head.

From a far I was like, "what is that?" As I leaned in for a closer look, the service in the chapel behind it was beginning. So they priest and the guys beside him started to chant those slow latin chants, just as I was leaning in. In out of fright (not fear) just made me jump for a while. My heart did raced for a while as I thought the Christians were after me, and I started the ayah Kursi while my head was really trying to process what is going on.

After I knew what was happening, I exhaled and high tailed out of there. The other churches I went to were not as freaky for me. I am not used to it. The others was just okay. It would be more comfortable if they'd just stop making so many angry sculptures you know. 

• Like 1

The poll is a little bit biased!

I've been to churches, hindu temples and sikh gurdwaras each of them have their own unique features. I really enjoyed the Sikh gurdwara's communal eating and feeding commitment which was very heartening to see and something we can all learn from. Purpose built Gurudwara's also feel like Indian/Pakistani masaajid because of similar architecture and layouts. Old English churches are very awe-inspiring buildings designed to incite wonder and an appreciation of the "heavens".

By contrast masjids are much for functional unless you go to an ornate and lavish masjid in Istanbul or the Middle East for example where again the idea is to impress others and encourage people to marvel at it's beautification of the worship of Allah.

I am Muslim that was born into a Muslim family so there was never need to go to a church, and this subject of a Muslim going into a church is a very touchy subject in Malaysia for some reason.

The first time I was in a church I was in Paris. At Montmarte, the sepulcher on that hill, the one with the 300 steps things. So yeah I went inside the base and was like okay, Churches sell candles for prayer, I think it was 2 Euros per candle. I saw the inside of it, a lot of candles and judging images of the sculptures and the pictures on the windows. It was my first time and I was like are they looking at me? Do they know I am a Muslim? 

I went to the panoramic view which make you take like 300 steps of stairs and this was during the winter, and I was carrying all this heavy jackets. However you get to see the whole of Paris. and it was almost worth it taking the steps up but they made you pay for that. Then I went down into the crypt as well and they made you pay for that too. I was circling around and there was this very angry sculptures and they look scary. There was one statue of a pope I think or was it a priest, I don't know a guy, the body had no head, it was decapitated, The left hand of the body was holding the head.

From a far I was like, "what is that?" As I leaned in for a closer look, the service in the chapel behind it was beginning. So they priest and the guys beside him started to chant those slow latin chants, just as I was leaning in. In out of fright (not fear) just made me jump for a while. My heart did raced for a while as I thought the Christians were after me, and I started the ayah Kursi while my head was really trying to process what is going on.

After I knew what was happening, I exhaled and high tailed out of there. The other churches I went to were not as freaky for me. I am not used to it. The others was just okay. It would be more comfortable if they'd just stop making so many angry sculptures you know. 

I'm just going to say, I enjoyed your story.  While I was Catholic I would frequent the Latin services - I can definitely see how they would freak someone out!

• Like 1

Did you feel the same way when you entered a Masjid for the first time Amna4? Nothing controversial I only ask because I respect and love the most is a revert. You were not born into Islam yet Alhamdulillah, Allah SWT gave you the light. I am from Malaysia and I can tell you for sure that most Muslims here do not really know much about Islam. I feel embarrassed towards reverts because you really get the message, while most born Muslims especially here in Kuala Lumpur have no idea what being an Islam is all about. I was one of them.

Did you feel the same way when you entered a Masjid for the first time Amna4? Nothing controversial I only ask because I respect and love the most is a revert. You were not born into Islam yet Alhamdulillah, Allah SWT gave you the light. I am from Malaysia and I can tell you for sure that most Muslims here do not really know much about Islam. I feel embarrassed towards reverts because you really get the message, while most born Muslims especially here in Kuala Lumpur have no idea what being an Islam is all about. I was one of them.

The first time I went to a Masjid it was a very nice one - the one I still go to. Everyone was very friendly, mashallah, it was bright and open. The second masjid I went to (in my University town) was small and darker - I was much more nervous going there because they have separate doors for men and women, and I knew NONE of the women. It definitely took them a few months to become accustomed to me being there and be friendly. But no, I was never 'freaked out', probably because I am infatuated with languages and was already very familiar with Arabic.