Islamic Forum

Ok I am using altafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link) to get some better insight from the verses in the Quran. Right now I'm wondering if there are better sites for tasfirs because I cannot even understand the tafsirs I reading from this site.

In Surah 33:4, it says:

Allah has not put for any man two hearts inside his body. Neither has He made your wives whom you declare to be like your mothers' backs, your real mothers. [AzZihar is the saying of a husband to his wife, "You are to me like the back of my mother" i.e. You are unlawful for me to approach.], nor has He made your adopted sons your real sons. That is but your saying with your mouths. But Allah says the truth, and He guides to the (Right) Way.

The Tafsir goes as follows:

God has not placed two hearts inside any man: [this was revealed] in order to refute those disbelievers who said that they each had two hearts with which they could reason better than Muhammad’s single mind; nor has He made your wives whom (read as allā’ī, or allā’) you repudiate by zihār (read tazzahharūna, or tuzāhirūna; the original tā’ [of tatazāharūna] has been assimilated with the zā’) — a man would say to his wife for example, ‘You are for me as [untouchable as] my mother’s back’ — your mothers, in other words, [He has not made you wives] like [your] mothers, so that they are illicit [for conjugality] in that respect, [a practice] which in pre-Islamic times was considered a [valid form of] divorce. An atonement with [necessary] conditions is necessary in such a case, as mentioned in sūrat al-Mujādila [Q. 58:2-3]. Nor has He made those whom you claim as [adopted] sons (ad‘iyā’, the plural of da‘iyy, which is one claimed as the son of one who is not his [biological] father) your sons, in reality. That is a mere utterance of your mouths, namely, [of] the Jews and the hypocrites. When the Prophet (s) married Zaynab bt. Jahsh, who had been Zayd b. Hāritha’s wife, the adopted son of the Prophet (s), they said, ‘Muhammad married his son’s wife!’, and so God proved them liars in this. But God speaks the truth, in this [matter], and He guides to the way, the way of truth.

Now I'm very confused when it talks about wives being like the mother's back. Is this supposed to mean the wife is unlawful to have like marrying your mother? I dont know why it would be lawful to marry and have a wife and then why it would now be unlawful for her to be like one's own mother... (very frustrated)

Edited by tonnyj

PropellerAds

As-salamu alaikum

The Pagan Arabs used to say to say to their wives that they are as their mothers' backs when they divorced them. God refuted and rebuked them by saying that this a saying from their mouths, i.e. an evil utterance which they came up with.

I hope that helps.

Is there a reason why pagan Arabs would have this saying?

Is there a reason why pagan Arabs would have this saying?

:sl:

The saying, "You are to me as my mother's back" is called Zihar and it is words upon which a man would divorce his wife pre-Islam. What he means is that "You are as unlawful to me as my mother". The wife would be considered divorced as soon as he says this. Islam forbade this method. I don't know the origins of the phrase, but there is a specific case in which a woman complained that her husband pronounced Zihar on her:

A'ishah said, "Blessed is He, Whose hearing has encompassed all things. I heard what Khawlah bint Tha`labah said while some of it I could not hear. She was complaining to Allah's Messenger about her husband. She said, `O Allah's Messenger! He spent my wealth, exhausted my youth and my womb bore abundantly for him. When I be- came old, unable to bear children, he pronounced the Ziharon me! O Allah! I complain to you.'

Allah revealed these verses in response to Khawlah Bint Tha'labah's complaint:

Surah Al-Mujadalah

1. Indeed Allah has heard the statement of her that disputes with you concerning her husband, and complains to Allah. And Allah hears the argument between you both. Verily, Allah is All-Hearer, All-Seer.

2. Those among you who make their wives unlawful to them by Zihar they cannot be their mothers. None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And verily, they utter an ill word and a lie. And verily, Allah is Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving.

3. And those who make unlawful to them (their wives) by Zihar and wish to free themselves from what they uttered, (the penalty) in that case is the freeing of a slave before they touch each other. That is an admonition to you. And Allah is All-Aware of what you do.

4. And he who finds not, must fast two successive months before they both touch each other. And he who is unable to do so, should feed sixty of the poor. That is in order that you may have perfect faith in Allah and His Messenger. These are the limits set by Allah. And for disbelievers, there is a painful torment.

2. Those among you who make their wives unlawful to them by Zihar they cannot be their mothers. None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And verily, they utter an ill word and a lie. And verily, Allah is Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving.

Ahhhh this makes much more sense. Now I just have to re-read this surah to figure it all out. Thank you sister.

Edited by tonnyj

:sl:

Glad we could help you.

Assalam Alaikum

You can try Maarif tafseer also:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_falsehoodgo.webs(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/tafseer.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_falsehoodgo.webs(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/tafseer.htm[/url]

this seems like a pretty good site. Still some tafseer's on it are hard to follow. But I think I found one link out of the others that seem to have alot of good info.

Assalaamo Alaykom

Brother Tonny, congratulations!

You should get a copy of these books:

1.Rough Translation of the Meaning of The Noble Quran In the English Language

A Summarized Version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari

By

Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D.

Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

It's written in easy English and it's better explained. I think you could get a hard copy for free, I don't know where.

2.Imam Nawawi’s forty hadeeth Yahya ibn Sharaf an-Nawawi

Fourty-two selected sayings of the Prophet peace be upon him.

3.Explaining the fundamentals of Faith by Sheikh Muhammad ben Saleh Al-Othaymeen.

A booklet summarizing Islaamic monotheism.

4.Hisn al Muslim.

The shield of the Muslim, a collection of prophetic invocations.

5. Fikh al ibaadaat by Cheikh Muhammad ben Saleh Al-Othaymeen.

How to pray, how to fast, etc..

Now there's a thing I must tell you about: You'll see brothers disobey Allah, you'll be discriminated because of your creed and you'll find a lot of other obstacles: Never be discouraged! Seek help from your Lord and follow your heart!

I'll pray for you!

Salaam.