Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joker37

Are Muslims Allowed To Speculate?

It's just that I heard that we are not allowed to speculate the meanings of the Koran or why certain things are forbidden/permissible.

Is it okay to speculate on philosophical questions for why the Koran says that men have higher status than women etc.

Thanks

PropellerAds

It says that the husband has a degree higher status than the wife, not men over women. However, Adam was the first man and what created by Allah Own Hands. His wife Hawwah was created from Adam's rib.

The guardianship of the husband is not a right, but an obligation. It is a burden on the husband to provide for the wife and female relatives. The wife is allowed to provide for herself, but she does not have to provide for he husband or other male relatives.

This little higher status is because the husband pays the wife her dowry. This makes the husband the amir of the household, but the wife is the ameera of the affairs inside the house.

We don't need to speculate because scholars already found out the reasons. And if there is not reason mentioned in the sources of Sharee'ah then we don't speculated. We just take what we know and leave what we don't know. We just try to be content with Allah's Wisdom.

It's just that I heard that we are not allowed to speculate the meanings of the Koran or why certain things are forbidden/permissible.

Is it okay to speculate on philosophical questions for why the Koran says that men have higher status than women etc.

Thanks

Hi, From my own perspective which is based upon the teachings of Ibn-el Arabi who says that ( I think it was on the chapter on Mohammed from the 'Fusus-al-Hikam) that 'Man is superior over woman by one degree'. This, to my mind comes from the simple fact that a man has superior physical strength over a woman and also has had, since the beginning of the human species, the 'superior role' of hunting and supporting his family. The woman being mainly concerned with childbirth and looking after the home. These are the ancient and traditional roles of men and women.

Salaam,

ron

Speculate is not the right word, The right word is Maqasid(Goals/True Purpose) .

There are whole books written on the topic . Just use google