Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bornagainmoslem

Why Muslems Have To Be Fearful Of Allah

While it is possible, I doubt you will argue me into belief that there is a God. From your perspective, I think it would be more effective to simply pray that God opens my eyes to the truth.

I feel like a sad clown; now that touched my heart profoundly! Will do!

Edited by BurningLight

Muslims fear Allah because Taqwa (God-consciousness) is two-fold: Fear of His wrath, and hope for his mercy. Have too much fear and one becomes discouraged from ever being forgiven for one's sins, and therefore might give up. Too much hope will make one take His mercy and forgiveness for granted, and he or she will fall into sin.

Salam.

That was a good reply. I think the same thing holds for just about any relationship that is important to us. Like with my wife, I know there is sometimes fear that I will anger her, but that is not the only dynamic in the relationship, obviously. There is also love, joy, and, as you said, hope.

Muslims fear Allah because Taqwa (God-consciousness) is two-fold: Fear of His wrath, and hope for his mercy. Have too much fear and one becomes discouraged from ever being forgiven for one's sins, and therefore might give up. Too much hope will make one take His mercy and forgiveness for granted, and he or she will fall into sin.

Salam.

Fear of his wrath I can understand especially if we are not living up to our convictions and doing god's will, but too much hope; I don't get it. How can someone have too much hope? Isn't it a virtue? It is like saying someone had too much trust, peace, faith or love.

Let me be gulity of too much faith, hope and love if such a thing is possible. IMO, what takes god's mercy and forgiveness for granted is to live a life of pleasure and sin thinking god will forgive you because Jesus died on the cross (this is not hope)! How does one sin by virtue of hope???//??

Edited by BurningLight

Fear of his wrath I can understand especially if we are not living up to our convictions and doing god's will, but too much hope; I don't get it. How can someone have too much hope? Isn't it a virtue? It is like saying someone had too much trust, peace, faith or love.

Let me be gulity of too much faith, hope and love if such a thing is possible. IMO, what takes god's mercy and forgiveness for granted is to live a life of pleasure and sin thinking god will forgive you because Jesus died on the cross (this is not hope)! How does one sin by virtue of hope???//??

There are many people who walk this Earth, and who sin frequently but still say, "God is merciful. He will forgive me for my human flaws" as justification for their wrongdoings. They take God's mercy for granted because they have too much hope that He will overlook their shortcomings, always. And as a result, they become less inclined to ask for forgiveness or to put more effort into worship.

When I say "too much hope", I'm talking about hope that is disproportionate to the caution and concern one has in preparing for the afterlife. Hope is a good attribute--but only if that hope is balanced by sensibility and care. If, for example, Jack has high hopes that he will pass an upcoming test, so much hope so that he will think he's prepared for it and doesn't need to study for it, then hope is not a good characteristic.

In Islam, hope should be balanced by fear. One scholar described Taqwa (God-consciousness) as a bird, with hope being one wing and fear being the other. If one wing dips too low, it will affect the bird's ability to fly.

Salam.

That was a good reply. I think the same thing holds for just about any relationship that is important to us. Like with my wife, I know there is sometimes fear that I will anger her, but that is not the only dynamic in the relationship, obviously. There is also love, joy, and, as you said, hope.

Definitely, I think it's a good example to liken it to relationships with others. Of course, I'm sure you don't fear for your life with regards to your wife, but you probably fear upsetting the relationship, but at the same time you have a desire to uphold good relations with her, and it also brings you joy when things go well. So there are a lot of feelings that are at work.

Yes, Muslims fear Allah's wrath, but there is more to it as well. We also love Him and humble ourselves because we believe He is worthy of our worship.

Salam.

There are many people who walk this Earth, and who sin frequently but still say, "God is merciful. He will forgive me for my human flaws" as justification for their wrongdoings. They take God's mercy for granted because they have too much hope that He will overlook their shortcomings, always. And as a result, they become less inclined to ask for forgiveness or to put more effort into worship.

When I say "too much hope", I'm talking about hope that is disproportionate to the caution and concern one has in preparing for the afterlife. Hope is a good attribute--but only if that hope is balanced by sensibility and care. If, for example, Jack has high hopes that he will pass an upcoming test, so much hope so that he will think he's prepared for it and doesn't need to study for it, then hope is not a good characteristic.

In Islam, hope should be balanced by fear. One scholar described Taqwa (God-consciousness) as a bird, with hope being one wing and fear being the other. If one wing dips too low, it will affect the bird's ability to fly.

Salam.

I think I understand what you're saying. Your talking of a false hope. No amount of false hope does anyone good, but we can never have too much true hope, It's a godly virtue and an attribute of god.

I think I understand what you're saying. Your talking of a false hope. No amount of false hope does anyone good, but we can never have too much true hope, It's a godly virtue and an attribute of god.

Yes, false hope is a good way to put it, since it's unreasonable hope that only results in one's downfall. Such a distinction doesn't translate across languages, which must have been the cause of our confusion.

Salam.

Yes, false hope is a good way to put it, since it's unreasonable hope that only results in one's downfall. Such a distinction doesn't translate across languages, which must have been the cause of our confusion.

Salam.

Agreed

Thank you