Sign in to follow this  
Joker37

Can Muslims Befriend Non-muslims?

PropellerAds
Asalamualaikum.

Can Muslims befriend non-Muslims?

Thanks

Wa Alaikum As Salaam

You should read surah 60 (Al-Mumtahana) its only 12 verses and it will give you a clear answer, here are verses 7, 8 and 9 which give important points in answering your question.

Perhaps Allah will make friendship between you and those whom you hold as enemies. And Allah has power (over all things), and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity. It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allah forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Zalimun (wrong-doers - those who disobey Allah). (60:7-9)

Vice versa – well we are called to love and bless those that persecute us, so of course we could be friends :sl:

God bless,

Augustine it is always good to back up what you say with evidence from the bible.

Do not be yoked* together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? (2 Corinthians 6:14-15)

Yoked refers to being close/joined together and has its origin with the latin word jungere which means to join.

Why wouldn't you?

If a muslim came up to me and offered their hand in friendship, I wouldn't reject that based on their religion. Ultimately, a friend is a friend, regardless of their religion.

Though, if a Muslim wished to isolate themselves like that, then go for it, I'm not gonna stop them. Don't particularly want to be friends with someone as shallow as that, anyway.

Why wouldn't you?

If a muslim came up to me and offered their hand in friendship, I wouldn't reject that based on their religion. Ultimately, a friend is a friend, regardless of their religion.

Though, if a Muslim wished to isolate themselves like that, then go for it, I'm not gonna stop them. Don't particularly want to be friends with someone as shallow as that, anyway.

Ah but that is to have the idea that, basically religion is a personal matter. Many Muslims do not have that idea however.

Salaam,

ron

As-salamu alaikum

The verse sister Lost in Paradise is the guideline. You don't want to be friends with people who hold animosity towards Islam and mock it. You also shouldn't befriend people who invite you to sin, whether Muslim or non-Muslim. Be cordial with everybody. "A thousand friends is a little, one enemy is too much".

Why wouldn't you?

Very nice. :sl:

I too wouldn't particularly wish to be friends with someone so shallow as to reject me because of my religion.

So is no1 going to post the verses from the koran that state you cant take non muslims as friends?

Asalamualaikum.

Can Muslims befriend non-Muslims?

Thanks

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/21530/friends"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/21530/friends[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/26118/friends"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/26118/friends[/url]

Pretty sure I answered this clearly a while ago. Basically, unlike the concept of friendship non-Muslims, Islam's concept is taking close to you those who will make you a better Muslim; one who fears Allah, who prays on time, who avoids evil talk, who engages in discussions about the Hereafter, the prophets, the Shari'ah, and what have you.

Two people who will be shaded under the throne of Allah on the Day of Judgment: The two friends, who love each other for the sake of God, when they meet they meet for the sake of God, when they separate they separate for the sake of God.

If someone says, hey, I can't be friends with you because I want to form bonds with those who will help me become a better Christian/Jew/Hindu/etc, I would respect them for caring more about their religious affairs than worldly gains.

Salam.

Islam: Stoping people becoming friends since ~600AD.

No wonder Islam has so many enemies.

It's like me saying "I don't want to be your friend because you don't listen to metal and being your friend won't make me a better metalhead.", or "I don't want to be your friend because you don't play 40k and being your friend won't make me a better 40k player.".

And honestly? If I was chillin' with someone and they told me that they didn't want to hang out with me anymore, because I'm not a Muslim, I'd quite happily tell them where they can stick it. Why would anyone want to be friends with someone so stuck up, anyway?

You don't want to be friends with people who hold animosity towards Islam and mock it.

Islam is political.It's not reasonable to expect all your friends to respect your political opinions.

Asalaamu Alaykum,

QUOTE(Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz [at] Sep 27 2011, 07:44 PM)

You don't want to be friends with people who hold animosity towards Islam and mock it.

Islam is political.It's not reasonable to expect all your friends to respect your political opinions.

Islam is a way of life, its becomes part of a muslims life. If someone was to mock Islam they would in turn be mocking him, would anyone stay around a person who continued to mock him, the people he cares and his way of life.

Also i would like to draw a point to stefans point, if you disagree with Islam and want to discuss it in a civilised manner then as a muslim there would be no reason not to befriend you, as it would be a peaceful dialouge in which two people are discussing what they believe to be the truth.

however if discussions turnt sour then it would be better to leave it, before enemity or hatred grows between the two.

before anyone says anything I do have non muslims friends, we do discuss religion and at all times are respectful to each others beliefs.

It's like me saying "I don't want to be your friend because you don't listen to metal and being your friend won't make me a better metalhead.", or "I don't want to be your friend because you don't play 40k and being your friend won't make me a better 40k player.".

And honestly? If I was chillin' with someone and they told me that they didn't want to hang out with me anymore, because I'm not a Muslim, I'd quite happily tell them where they can stick it. Why would anyone want to be friends with someone so stuck up, anyway?

Be friends with everyone indiscriminately, right? If you're going to use horrible, completely unrelated analogies, then allow me to turn the tables.

It's like me saying, "I think everyone should be a prospective friend, even if they happen to be murderers, psychopaths, rapists, pedophiles, bigots." That's the gist of your argument right there. And if a rapist, pedophile, and/or psychopath is rejected by you, that makes you stuck up.

Cruorem_Deus: Oversimplifying things since July 30th, 2011.

You hit a new low there, comparing an entire faith to an interest in metal.

Salam.

Islam is not political alone. There is no area of life that Islam does not touch on. Which means Islam is a way of life.

Salam.

Not that my friend,

Theoretically and practically there will be no problem to have a good relation whatever the names, colleagues, classmates, neighbors, ….

Allah tells in the holly Quran:

"Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious;-" 4-36

You know, if you sits next to me in the bus, I'm ordered, as Moslem, to be "Mohsen, to give without expecting the reward" which is steps more than fair.

While the practical problems will pops up, in friendship, since I, as a Moslem have different habits and many limitations for actions, saying and thoughts which you don't have.

If you like the metal music while I love to hear the Quran, what we can do. You have no obligations not to hear the Quran while I have a higher power (God) obligation not to hear the metal.

you know, If you gonna scarify every difference for my sake, I'll be your eternal friend. which is so diffecult !!!!

Islam is not political alone. There is no area of life that Islam does not touch on. Which means Islam is a way of life.

Salam.

Yes, Islam guides the Moslem life since the day s/he is formed in his mother's womb to the day when s/he returns to the earth womb. And since s/he opens his eye in the morning to the moment he closes it.

While the Moslem also, can bear queries and questions about his religion. He can himself ask why/ what/ where /….. But with the polite, honest, and positive criticizing character.

We have no thing to hide or to be afraid of.

Allah is the all-knowing