Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joker37

Status Of Women In Saudi Arabia

Asalamualaikum.

I heard in the news a few days ago that women will be allowed to vote in elections in the future in Saudi Arabia.

My question is, why did Saudi Arabia prohibit women from voting in the first place? Was there anything in the Koran/Hadith which made the Arabs not allow their women to vote?

Also, I have heard that women in Saudi Arabia are not allowed to drive cars. Is this true? If so, why not?

Thanks!

PropellerAds
Asalamualaikum.

I heard in the news a few days ago that women will be allowed to vote in elections in the future in Saudi Arabia.

My question is, why did Saudi Arabia prohibit women from voting in the first place? Was there anything in the Koran/Hadith which made the Arabs not allow their women to vote?

Also, I have heard that women in Saudi Arabia are not allowed to drive cars. Is this true? If so, why not?

Thanks!

Wow.

If that's true (Women aren't allowed to vote, or drive.), then Saudi Arabia is a backwards, primitive country, with twisted and disgusting laws. But then, what else is new?

Wouldn't suprise me if even uttering the word "equality" over there was punishable by death.

I mean, if what you say is the case, then they don't even enjoy freedom of gender, much less the freedom of speech, sexuality, religion or thought.

Edited by Cruorem_Deus

I don't know about these laws but Saudi is a very good place to be for women. Because they aren't raped every few minutes like in America.

In a monarchy I don't see how giving women the right to vote will have any real effect it's more like Saudi trying to prevent a revolution. I will be supporting my saudi sisters when they do get the chance to speak out against the corrupt and hypocritical monarchy that exists today in Saudi. And also it is not like Saudi openly engages with international institutions by giving reports about the statistics of domestic violence/rape. Crimes like these can be very shaming for any woman to report and so we can never really know the data of how many women are abused in public but especially in their own homes.

In a monarchy I don't see how giving women the right to vote will have any real effect it's more like Saudi trying to prevent a revolution. I will be supporting my saudi sisters when they do get the chance to speak out against the corrupt and hypocritical monarchy that exists today in Saudi.

Not defending the Saudi regime, I'm either don't like that,

but, The life is more than voting and driving……, safty, stability and happiness in this life and in the eternal life are more valiable

The Saudi society is mostly tribal society. it's not more than 3-4 decades ago where they had the towns, electricity, governmental education, …..

Some habits and traditions are still strongly controlling the persons, families and groups.

We have to know too, the Moslem ruler or ruling system have some allowance to work in, and have the right to legislate (in which is not pre-legislated by Allah and his messenger (p)). Allah tells in the Quran " Y: O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination." 4-59

May be the change must come but gradual and controlled , keeping an eye over every social, economical and political critical points to secure the society safety and priorities.

And also it is not like Saudi openly engages with international institutions by giving reports about the statistics of domestic violence/rape.

The Moslem have to fear "Allah" in the first and last, not any other person or organization. Do you really care about what is called "international ….. whatever". Do you think any of it cares about the Moslems, tell me what it did for the Moslems women, men or even children who are being killed every where in Kashmir, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Palestine. Where it was sleeping for 6 successive years while 400,000 were killed and 120,000 women were being raped in the middle of Europe, in Bosnia and Kosova,……..

we have to defend the women rights because of Allah and non but Allah.

Crimes like these can be very shaming for any woman to report and so we can never really know the data of how many women are abused in public but especially in their own homes.

About these crimes rates in Saudi, I've been to Saudi for a while and like to calm you down. All these crimes number in Saudi is less than what occurs on one street in one small town in the States.

if you like to help, then the soft, nice and Islamic proved advises, no more

Allah is All-Knowing

Ahmad you talk about happiness being more important in life than voting and being able to drive but if saudi women want change then they are clearly unhappy with the current situation that exists. You also talk about the hypocrisy of international organisations - yet you don't talk about the hypocrisy of Saudi who claims to live by the law of Allah yet at the same time being involved in clearly corrupt situations with other countries in the world. Also you say the crimes of domestic violence/rape is much lower in Saudi ( and it may well be) but my point is how can anyone ever claim this - these are things we can't know for sure because a lot of things that happen behind doors in many countries stays behind the door and Saudi is not an exception, so I wouldn't take your advise on that one. To think that violence towards women only exists outisde the home is not realistic.

In a monarchy I don't see how giving women the right to vote will have any real effect it's more like Saudi trying to prevent a revolution. I will be supporting my saudi sisters when they do get the chance to speak out against the corrupt and hypocritical monarchy that exists today in Saudi. And also it is not like Saudi openly engages with international institutions by giving reports about the statistics of domestic violence/rape. Crimes like these can be very shaming for any woman to report and so we can never really know the data of how many women are abused in public but especially in their own homes.

Ahmad you talk about happiness being more important in life than voting and being able to drive but if saudi women want change then they are clearly unhappy with the current situation that exists. You also talk about the hypocrisy of international organisations - yet you don't talk about the hypocrisy of Saudi who claims to live by the law of Allah yet at the same time being involved in clearly corrupt situations with other countries in the world. Also you say the crimes of domestic violence/rape is much lower in Saudi ( and it may well be) but my point is how can anyone ever claim this - these are things we can't know for sure because a lot of things that happen behind doors in many countries stays behind the door and Saudi is not an exception, so I wouldn't take your advise on that one. To think that violence towards women only exists outisde the home is not realistic.

Alsalamo 3lykom, sister

All what you mentioned is great, although it's relative.

Even Saudi regime have to compromise his actions and assistance to the Moslems, due the international situations. They have some treaties with the Americans, they afraid of the She'a Iran and israel. They can't give open support to the Moslem minorities every where. Although all of these obstacles Saudi is the main supporter to Islam every where.

The Moslems will suffer more with a wek Saudi, sister

What kind of hypocrisy the Saudi committed, in your opinion, compared with what had UN did in Bosnia alone?

Any abrupt change in any society either political, social or even economical mostly will lead to the collapse of this society.

One abrupt political change led to the collapse of the USSR, while the controlled one led china to be CHINA

I didn't say there is no need to reforms, while I said it have to be gradual and controlled. And that's exactly what Islam did to stop "slavery" which was more sever than voting.

What could be the "other" solution from your point of view?