Islamic Forum
The Shrew

Reliable Source

I have been doing further research and study on Islam. I the following link a reliable source? I do not want bad or faulty information or only the fluff.

Thankyou for any input in advance.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamuncovered(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamuncovered(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html[/url]

PropellerAds

I do have a question that does not seemed to be addressed. MY wife and I make herbal tinctures and to make this for medicinal perposes requires the use of some alcohol. Now I understand that consuming alcohol is forbidden, but what of its necesity in medicinal properties? Is this allowed?

I ask this because I was reading the scientific and medical contributions of Islam.

Edited by workingman

According to the scholars, if the alcohol in the medicine is intoxicating either in small or large quantities (meaning if you drink the whole medicine, you can become intoxicated), then it is unlawful.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam (forbidden)" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530)

But if the medicine has alcohol in it, but does not cause intoxication if consumed in small or large quantities, then it is permissible.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110): It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

But it is not permissible to drink alcohol for medicinal purposes.

Salam.

[at]redeem...the phrase, "DRUNK"..is not used in the hadeeth you qouted..

?(i think)..'sakhar'..is used...

please make sure and then let us know too..

sakhar means intoxicated in the general sense but in deeper meanings it refers to "disturbed cognition/cognitive ability deranged"...

[at]workingman, where she says "it is not permissible to drink alcojhol for medicinal purposes"..she means "pure alcoholic drinks..like whiskey or beer or vodka etc.,...since some people make any ailment a pretext for imbibing alcohol..

...have you tried 'vinegar'..to replace alcohol...in the herbal potions that you make?

my guess is that 'vinegar' may serve the same purpose in those potions...i would try that

salaam

[at]redeem...the phrase, "DRUNK"..is not used in the hadeeth you qouted..

?(i think)..'sakhar'..is used...

please make sure and then let us know too..

sakhar means intoxicated in the general sense but in deeper meanings it refers to "disturbed cognition/cognitive ability deranged"...

Brother "writewhite", the Hadith was quoted from Islamqa. If you have questions about the context they used this, please free to contact Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid.

[at]workingman, where she says "it is not permissible to drink alcojhol for medicinal purposes"..she means "pure alcoholic drinks..like whiskey or beer or vodka etc.,...since some people make any ailment a pretext for imbibing alcohol..

There is no need to put the word "pure" in front of "alcohol". When someone drinks alcohol, that means they drank alcohol alone. When someone wants to make a distinction that they drank alcohol along with something else (i.e. when it's in medicine), that's when they make the clarification.

Salam.

According to the scholars, if the alcohol in the medicine is intoxicating either in small or large quantities (meaning if you drink the whole medicine, you can become intoxicated), then it is unlawful.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam (forbidden)" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530)

But if the medicine has alcohol in it, but does not cause intoxication if consumed in small or large quantities, then it is permissible.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110): It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

But it is not permissible to drink alcohol for medicinal purposes.

Salam.

Thankyou for the clarification. So to make sure I am understanding so long as the medicine willnot make you drunk it is ok.

I see in the Fataawa above one is not suposed to handle it either if one can get drunk from it. Now the tinkture that is made now requires Vodka a ingredient for preservation ect.... is one allowed to handle the alcohol due to the fact the vodka by it self would make you drunk.

Thankyou for the information.

...have you tried 'vinegar'..to replace alcohol...in the herbal potions that you make?

my guess is that 'vinegar' may serve the same purpose in those potions...i would try that

salaam

Thankyou for the clairification. No I have not tried vinegar yet. I might have to look into it. The biggest problem might be the smell or taste due to the vinegar. It is something I will have to research and exparament with though.

I have thought of a second question. I was reading on the source that I listed in the OP. It mentioned that each person is assigned two angels. Now these angels record but do they also opperat in a guardian aspect? I ask because in RCC teaching we a taught that we have a guardian angel. This angel acts as a protector of us to a extent.

I do have a question that does not seemed to be addressed. MY wife and I make herbal tinctures and to make this for medicinal perposes requires the use of some alcohol. Now I understand that consuming alcohol is forbidden, but what of its necesity in medicinal properties? Is this allowed?

I ask this because I was reading the scientific and medical contributions of Islam.

Possible answer using the Qur'an.

2:219. They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah make clear to you His Signs: in order that ye may consider

47:15. (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible: rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits, and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?

47:16. And among them are men who listen to thee, but in the end, when they go out from thee, they say to those who have received Knowledge: "What is it he said just then?" Such are men whose hearts Allah has sealed, and who follow their own lusts.

Since the Qur'an does not specifically prohibit alcohol or any specific drink with it in, there is still the acknowledgment that wine has much more sin than profit. Even then, wine is described as being something of a joy to those who drink it, in the Parable of the Garden. In the first context, it is that of an imperfect human being, dominated by the body, not necessarily of the spirit. In the second context, it is that of a human being who is dominated by the spirit, not the body. If the body rules us, our spirit will suffer. If alcohol is used and it negatively effects our body and negatively affects our spirit, or inhibits our natural ability to think, make righteous decisions, or follow the Commandments of God, then it is probably best to avoid alcohol. As we know, the consequences of those whose minds and spirits are altered by alcohol cause a great problem. Thus they are ruled not by God, but by the alcohol.

Also, since you are a Christian, the book of Timothy directly prohibits drunkenness. I personally recommend being careful. Do not use much alcohol, especially to any degree which may alter your senses. Ensure its use does not cause a greater sin than the possible reward in which you seek. If there is that risk, perhaps there could be a different way to make the herbal remedy, such as with the vinegar described. Many blessings in your healing.

Wesley, Thankyou for your responce. I apreciate the verses quoted and the thought put in behind them with the explanation.

I agree alcohol can be very detrimental to ones decision making process. And yes drunkenness is a sin I completely agree. I am trying to formulate thing so they do not violate any moral principal. The amounts of alcohol are miniscule but none the less I am looking at other alternatives to use also. Thankyou again.