Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SaracenSoldier

Imperial History Of The Middle East

This is pretty awesome. Check it out:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmapsofwar(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ind/imperial-history.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmapsofwar(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ind/imperial-history.html[/url]

Also check this out:

History of Religion:[using large font size is not allowed]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmapsofwar(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ind/history-of-religion.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmapsofwar(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ind/history-of-religion.html[/url]

PropellerAds

Those are some great tools to illustrate the broad sweep of history. My only complaint, if it be that, is that the map only reflected imperial Christianity, i.e., Christianity that developed within the Roman Empire. For the first thousand years of Christianity, there were actually more Christians in Asia than in Europe. Christians who lived in the Parthian empire were very active in sending missionaries as far as China. Unfortunately, you wouldn't know this if you were to simply look at the map this website offers.

True. In addition to imperialism Christianity has a wide reach of missionary work from India to China, to the Koreas all of which never involved violence or force. In Korea Christianity was looked at as the primary bulwark against Japanese imperialism

True. Missionary work from Europe really took off after the 15th century. From what I have read, I don't think Asian Christians had reached Korea. It was the missionary work from Westerners in China that finally brought Christianity to Korea, at least this is what I have read.

The religious one I did not like that much. It left out some of the major religions of the world past and present, such as Zoroastrianism in Persia and Jainism in India, and it overlooked the fact that the spiritual crib of Buddhism was in India, not the Far East.

As an educational tool I would say that it is quite lacking. Do we really want to teach childern that the only religions that are worth studying are the ones that expanded across the world by warfare and conquest?

I understand the point you're making but give the video some credit.. its a minute or so long video. Can't expect it to show every tiny detail.

The religious one I did not like that much. It left out some of the major religions of the world past and present, such as Zoroastrianism in Persia and Jainism in India, and it overlooked the fact that the spiritual crib of Buddhism was in India, not the Far East.

As an educational tool I would say that it is quite lacking. Do we really want to teach childern that the only religions that are worth studying are the ones that expanded across the world by warfare and conquest?

Those were both good points. I hadn't thought to consider Zoroastrianism, which really should have been on there. Thanks for speaking up.