Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyJ

When Did Green Become The Color Of Islam?

I wasn't sure where to post this one. But seeing as there is no history section, I figured I would put it here under politics.

Whenever I pick up an historical atlas, I notice that the color used to represent the territories conquered by Muslims is usually shaded in green. Green also features quite prominently on a number of Islamic nation's flags (Saudi Arabia for example), whilst black, red, green, and white are used by Arab Nationalists (Syria, Iraq, Egypt, etc.)

But green appears to be the color of choice to represent Islam as a faith.

So my questions are: 1) When did green first get associated with Islam? Did Muhammad's armies use green banners? What about the banners of the armies of the Rashidun Caliphates?

PropellerAds
I wasn't sure where to post this one. But seeing as there is no history section, I figured I would put it here under politics.

Whenever I pick up an historical atlas, I notice that the color used to represent the territories conquered by Muslims is usually shaded in green. Green also features quite prominently on a number of Islamic nation's flags (Saudi Arabia for example), whilst black, red, green, and white are used by Arab Nationalists (Syria, Iraq, Egypt, etc.)

But green appears to be the color of choice to represent Islam as a faith.

So my questions are: 1) When did green first get associated with Islam? Did Muhammad's armies use green banners? What about the banners of the armies of the Rashidun Caliphates?

Muhammad's (pbuh) armies didn't use green banners. They used a white banner with "laa ilaaha illa Allah"/"no god but Allah" written on it in war. I don't know for sure about the Rashidun Caliphate, but I would guess they continued the tradition of their Prophet (pbuh).

I don't know excactly when gree got associated with Islam. Maybe the following article will provide some insight: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_seekersguidance(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ans-blog/2011/11/11/the-green-turban-and-the-prophet%E2%80%99s-peace-be-upon-him-favorite-color/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_seekersguidance(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ans-blog/2011/1...favorite-color/[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Green_in_Islam"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Green_in_Islam[/url]

It apparently started with the Fatimid Caliphate.

Thanks for the link, that is very interesting that green was first used on the banners of the Fatimids and then it was associated by Europeans as Islamic during the Crusades. I did wonder if the green association was partly a Western interpretation.

I think there is some mutually reinforcing interpretation going on with this. But yes, I wasn't aware of how strongly Europeans associated the color with Islam until I read that where it said they intentionally avoided the color in their own heraldry.

The answer to the question "Why green is associated with Islam" can be found in the Quran.

By looking at these verses below, It make sense why these leaders used green colour, because the garments in Paradise are of green colour.

[18.31] Those, they shall live in the Gardens of Eden, underneath which rivers flow. They shall be adorned with bracelets of gold and arrayed in green garments of silk, and brocade, reclining therein on couches; how excellent is their reward and how fine is their resting place!

[55.76] Reclining on green cushions and fine carpets.

[76.21] Upon them there will be garments of green silk, rich brocade, and they will be adorned with bracelets of silver. Their Lord will give them a pure beverage to drink.

The answer to the question "Why green is associated with Islam" can be found in the Quran.

By looking at these verses below, It make sense why these leaders used green colour, because the garments in Paradise are of green colour.

[18.31] Those, they shall live in the Gardens of Eden, underneath which rivers flow. They shall be adorned with bracelets of gold and arrayed in green garments of silk, and brocade, reclining therein on couches; how excellent is their reward and how fine is their resting place!

[55.76] Reclining on green cushions and fine carpets.

[76.21] Upon them there will be garments of green silk, rich brocade, and they will be adorned with bracelets of silver. Their Lord will give them a pure beverage to drink.

That is definitely true. There are references to green in the Qur'an. I think it was more a question about when it became commonly used in banners and flags. Of course I could be wrong, and you are definitely right in your comment about a general association of green with Islam, although I wonder if one couldn't find similar verses mentioning other colors as well.

although I wonder if one couldn't find similar verses mentioning other colors as well.

Yes you can for example it is said that the believers have a white complexion while disbelievers have a black complexion

On the Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) when some faces will become white and some faces will become black; as for those whose faces will become black (to them will be said): "Did you reject Faith after accepting it? Then taste the torment (in Hell) for rejecting Faith."

(Surah 3, Verse 106)

Ibn 'Abbaas (R.A) says that Rasulullah (S.A.W) used to say: "Choose white clothing, as it is the best clothing. White clothing should be worn whilst living, and the dead should be buried in white."(il Tirmidhi Chapter 008, Hadith Number 013)

Yes you can for example it is said that the believers have a white complexion while disbelievers have a black complexion

The Quran means that in the spiritual sense, but the way you word it here sounds racial????? You don't believe that its racial I trust.

The Quran means that in the spiritual sense, but the way you word it here sounds racial????? You don't believe that its racial I trust.

It is about the colour of faces on the day of Judgement - read the verse in context. It doesn't say anything about our race in the life we live in now.

It is about the colour of faces on the day of Judgement - read the verse in context. It doesn't say anything about our race in the life we live in now.

That is true. The verse you posted did say "become". I'm curious, there is much use of the colors white and black as being symbolic. Is this one of them or is it expected that this change of color will be literal?

That is true. The verse you posted did say "become". I'm curious, there is much use of the colors white and black as being symbolic. Is this one of them or is it expected that this change of color will be literal?

The verses about Judgment Day in the quran are not metaphorical or symbolic but rather they are literal - however if I am wrong I am sure another Muslim on this forum will correct me. There are other verses that reinforce the idea that disbelievers faces will be dark on Judgement day and believers will be light. Here are some others.

For those who have done good is the best (reward, i.e. Paradise) and even more (i.e. having the honour of glancing at the Countenance of Allah Ìá ÌáÇáå). Neither darkness nor dust nor any humiliating disgrace shall cover their faces. They are the dwellers of Paradise, they will abide therein forever. And those who have earned evil deeds, the recompense of an evil deed is the like thereof, and humiliating disgrace will cover them (their faces). No defender will they have from Allah. Their faces will be covered as it were with pieces from the darkness of night. They are the dwellers of the Fire, they will abide therein forever. (Surah Yunus:26-27)

The Mujrimun (polytheists, criminals, sinners) will be known by their marks (black faces), and they will be seized by their forelocks and their feet. (Surah Ar Rahman: 41)

Well, while I'm not sure that the passage you quoted established the literal nature of the matter, I will trust your judgement on the matter as having a superior foundation than anything I could bring to bear on the subject.

It is racial.

It is racial.

It isn't racial at all because it refers to the day of judgement not right now. Islam is clearly against racism as Muhammad pbuh told us an arab has no superiority over a non arab because we all come from Adam and Eve. God doesn't judge us by our skin but by our deeds we do and that is clear throughout the quran.

black complexion is associated with evil or hell. it is racial. white complexion is associated with heaven and purity. it is racial. arabs have preferred lighter skin even before Islam.

black complexion is associated with evil or hell. it is racial. white complexion is associated with heaven and purity. it is racial. arabs have preferred lighter skin even before Islam.

How is it racial when it has nothing to do with race?? It is about the day of judgement hence the phrase ''will become''. You seem to have limited knowledge on the stance of racism in Islam so if you want to know more we can start a new thread as it is going a bit off topic with the original topic. If it was racist it would beg the question why so many people of a darker skin colour are Muslim! Being a Muslim doesn't require you to be part of a certain race for Islam is for all of mankind regardless of race.

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (49:13)