Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the sad clown

Syria And The World

What should the international response be to the events occurring in Syria? Moral support seems appropriate, but I was wondering if anything else ought to be done. What are your opinions about what is happening in Syria and the international response to it?

PropellerAds

What is happening in Syria is definately sick. The goverment is butchering and attacking its own people - not with riot police but with heavy military force! The Syrian goverment is one of the most evil goverments out there. It is a dictatory that will do anything to maintain power, considering that it attacks armless people.

I think it is good that the US has not gotten involved because Syrians want to sort this out themselves. They don't want to be occupied and don't want to own a favour. But I think it is good that the US and other Western countries along with the Arab league and Turkey have imposed sanctions. The only way for this regime to be overthrown is if you cut out its money supply. The reason why they are in power is because they have the financial means. The sanctions will hit the population but it will force those who are comfortable watching at the side lines to get involved.

I think Iran's and Hezbollah's response has been pathetic. Both were very happy when the Arab spring hit countries like Tunisia, Egypt, Libya etc., but now that the spring has hit their only ally in the region it is a Western conspiracy. Syrians in particular are angered by the fact that Hezbollah has supported the regime and labelled the protestors as Western agents and terrorists because Syrians (most of them those who are protesting now) provided shelter for them during 2006 when they fought israel. That must feel like a real slap in the face. Both Iran and Hezbollah have been exposed.

I think the situation is messed up. Honestly I don't know what the international response should be. I think that applying sanctions is good.

Both Iran and Hezbollah have been exposed.

They were always exposed.. problem is that the people get emotional. One battle with israel and everyone wants to jump on their bandwagon.

I don't really know what the international response should be because I don't think that sanctions alone make any real difference. It is sad because our brothers and sisters in faith are being killed. But then there is another side to the story because Assad does have a lot of support himself from his own people so the country is really divided. The current international system is based on a system of sovereign states. A sovereign state has a right to deal with their own internal matters but at the same time this system of sovereign states goes against what Islam teaches. It is a difficult one to judge because if people are being killed for no reason should we sit by and watch like what happened in Bosnia..like how many people need to be killed before someone steps in? But then when someone steps in you don't know what their intentions are, while they want to protect the people it isn't the priority.

The current international system is based on a system of sovereign states. A sovereign state has a right to deal with their own internal matters

But surely the current system doesn't sanction the slaughter of the populace. I'm not saying military forces should be sent in, since that has been shown to have a lot of negative effects, but at least sanctions against the government ought to be considered.