Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Noora.

H.w. Help: Economic Crisis In The U.s.

Economic Crisis in the U.S.

How are the elite dealing with it? How are the working class/poor dealing with it?

Need some ideas/articles. Thank you for any help!

Economic Crisis in the U.S.

How are the elite dealing with it? How are the working class/poor dealing with it?

Need some ideas/articles. Thank you for any help!

I'm not sure the division lies precisely in economic class. There are poor and working class people in the Tea Party and there what I would consider elites in agreement with the 99% movement. I don't believe anyone has a good idea for how to handle the economic and fiscal crisis we are experiencing (don't forget that a large part of this problem is fiscal). Thus, people are resorting to what is familiar to them, and that is the traditional American political division between small government private institutions vs large government public institutions. I believe the former is likely more beneficial to economic elites and the latter beneficial to the political elites. What about the working class and poor? They have to decide what would benefit them more, the success of the economic elites or the political elites. Either that or rise up in rebellion and overthrow both elites. This of course would only result in the development of new elites unless they could somehow manage to create a purely democratic and communal society. While that would be a hypothetical solution, I have not seen it achieved in real life.

Hmm. Thanks for the reply. Isn't the Tea Party also controlled by a small group of elites? My professor showed us a video about that. The poor/working class are (supposedly) a part of the Tea Party under one impression but (supposedly) they are being duped by the people in control of it.

I think the poor/working class are dealing with it by having multiple jobs, not being able to give as much time to their family, having others (family or babysitters) watching their children, etc. I'm not sure exactly how the elites are 'dealing' with it. I mean they've lost money but compared to how much they have, they haven't lost much.

Hmm. Thanks for the reply. Isn't the Tea Party also controlled by a small group of elites? My professor showed us a video about that. The poor/working class are (supposedly) a part of the Tea Party under one impression but (supposedly) they are being duped by the people in control of it.

I think the poor/working class are dealing with it by having multiple jobs, not being able to give as much time to their family, having others (family or babysitters) watching their children, etc. I'm not sure exactly how the elites are 'dealing' with it. I mean they've lost money but compared to how much they have, they haven't lost much.

I am inclined to agree with your professor, but I also do not underestimate the ability of people to delude themselves into thinking something is beneficial for them when in fact it is not. Conservatism has very successfully associated itself with Christianity here in the United States. Thus, there are many Christians who are under the mistaken notion that they too must support the conservative agenda if they are to be good Christians.