Islamic Forum
the sad clown

Unbelievable Pollution

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_blogs.reuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fullfocus/files/2011/12/16EditorsChoiceRTR2V9PP.jpg[/img]

Here is the caption: "A journalist takes a sample of the red polluted water in the Jianhe River in Luoyang, Henan province December 13, 2011. According to local media, the sources of the pollution are two illegal chemical plants discharging their production waste water into the rain sewer pipes. REUTERS/China Daily"

I thought it was some stunt with Jell-O or Kool-Aid before I clicked on the image and saw the caption. I don't even know how a river could start to look like this, nevermind allowing it to get to that point.

PropellerAds

This story reminds me of another river that turned an interesting color. Green Kool-Aid!

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_nationalpostnews.files.wordpress(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/12/river.jpg[/img]

Not sure what really caused it, and the article doesn't reveal anything, either.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.nationalpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/12/30/victoria-river-mysteriously-turns-bright-green/"]Victoria River Mysteriously Turns Bright Green[/url]

I also remember another story about Noctiluca Scintillans emitting bright blue light when disturbed.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetdailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350686/Glowing-dark-Eerie-phenomenon-turned-swimmers-brighter-shade-blue.html"]Glowing in the dark: Eerie phenomonon turned waters (and swimmers) a luminous blue[/url]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/26/article-1350686-0CEA7849000005DC-181_964x605.jpg[/img]

It makes me wonder what sorts of chemicals or organisms would have caused these waters to change colors so dramatically.

Not sure what really caused it, and the article doesn't reveal anything, either.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.nationalpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2010/12/30/victoria-river-mysteriously-turns-bright-green/"]Victoria River Mysteriously Turns Bright Green[/url]

It was apparently a prank: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Goldstream_River_%28Vancouver_Island%29#December_2010_Prank"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Goldstream_Ri...mber_2010_Prank[/url]

Unfortunately, I don't think the chemicals being poured into the Chinese river are quite as harmless as fluorescein.

It was apparently a prank: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Goldstream_River_%28Vancouver_Island%29#December_2010_Prank"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Goldstream_Ri...mber_2010_Prank[/url]

Unfortunately, I don't think the chemicals being poured into the Chinese river are quite as harmless as fluorescein.

I am really curious as to what is causing this reddening of the water. I doubt it's iron oxide in the case of the (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Blood_Falls"]Blood Falls in Antarctica[/url].

I am really curious as to what is causing this reddening of the water. I doubt it's iron oxide in the case of the (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Blood_Falls"]Blood Falls in Antarctica[/url].

Wow, that really does look like the glacier is just bleeding out into the ocean.

China is known to have a water polluting problem. They are actually running out from all of it. The government is trying to stop it but to no avail. I really hope they fix this problem because China's population is humongous and needs all the clean water they can get.

China is known to have a water polluting problem. They are actually running out from all of it. The government is trying to stop it but to no avail. I really hope they fix this problem because China's population is humongous and needs all the clean water they can get.

I think there has been a lack of willingness to go far enough to be effective in monitoring and regulating this sort of activity. There is too much corruption in mid and low level bureaucracy to properly handle the situation (I don't know how high such corruption actually goes), and there seems to be an unwillingness to grant the sort of accountability for public officials that would be necessary to effectively curtail it. There might be other ways of doing it, but one of the most effective will be to just implement democratic reforms so that there would be political consequences for such behavior. This would motivate opposition politicians to police each other. That and a press free from state entanglement.

If China enacts environmental protection measures strong enough to protect the water, as like what has happened in the USA and Europe, the cost of economy there will increase. China would lose its advantage in the exportation of its goods as its goods would cost closer to the production costs of the less polluting economies. The only remaining difference would be the cost of labor.

Yeah third world sewerage engineers think that all sewerage should go to the river.

Whenerever there is some development, the first question is there a river nearby - then it's just a matter of constructing a drain .

This has been going on for centuries.