Islamic Forum

Are you saying that the Atlantic ocean looked like a muddy (or murky) spring to Dhul Qarnayn? Why is it interpreted this way instead of just understanding that he saw the sun appear to set in a dark or muddy spring?

It's possible that, because of the position of the sun in the sky, the clouds and the fading sunlight reflecting on the water, the color of the water was not blue and clear as he gazed into the horizon.

Salam.

PropellerAds
It's possible that, because of the position of the sun in the sky, the clouds and the fading sunlight reflecting on the water, the color of the water was not blue and clear as he gazed into the horizon.

But aren't springs generally smaller than an ocean? And again, I just can't help wondering why someone would interpret the passage as meaning the Atlantic ocean when there are plenty of muddy springs to choose from. Is there something that I am missing that will lend credence to this interpretation you are mentioning?

But aren't springs generally smaller than an ocean? And again, I just can't help wondering why someone would interpret the passage as meaning the Atlantic ocean when there are plenty of muddy springs to choose from. Is there something that I am missing that will lend credence to this interpretation you are mentioning?

The ocean is a wide expanse, but the specific area that he was looking at, which the sun seemed to be setting into, was small.

Salam.

The ocean is a wide expanse, but the specific area that he was looking at, which the sun seemed to be setting into, was small.

Is there some context in the Qur'an or a hadith that clarifies this?

Is there some context in the Qur'an or a hadith that clarifies this?

There might be a Hadith, but for now, we use the writings of great scholars like Ibn Kathir and Qurtubi, who have done their research.

Salam.

There might be a Hadith, but for now, we use the writings of great scholars like Ibn Kathir and Qurtubi, who have done their research.

I see. Do you know of anyway I could perhaps look up this hadith? Perhaps a searchable database or some other resource?

Should this topic, which is totally legitimate but a tad advanced for me, be broken into another, separate thread?

Should this topic, which is totally legitimate but a tad advanced for me, be broken into another, separate thread?

sorry about that,

i believe you have control now,