Islamic Forum
the sad clown

Latest Bombing In Iraq

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2011/12/23/world/middleeast/explosions-rock-baghdad-amid-iraqi-political-crisis.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2011/12/23/world/mi...cal-crisis.html[/url]

I am curious what members, especially Muslim members, think needs to be done in Iraq in order to restore peace in the country.

PropellerAds
To achieve peace there needs to be justice. To achieve justice Islamic law and governance must be implemented.

I understand that Sharia can introduce justice and so promote peace, but surely there can be peace without Sharia. There are many countries that do not have daily bombings that lack Sharia.

So, do you believe that all of the violence stems only from corruption and injustice, and not in part from sectarian conflicts?

I understand that Sharia can introduce justice and so promote peace, but surely there can be peace without Sharia. There are many countries that do not have daily bombings that lack Sharia.

I don't think anything else will work especially in the context of Iraq. Under secular rule(whether in the hands of shia or sunni) there will be some sort of oppression, injustice, etc. There were no bombings under Saddam yet there was oppression, right? Under Islam the rights of minorities are protected. The reason why we still see so many Christians, etc in the Muslim world today is because hundreds of years of Islamic rule protected their rights and enabled their communities to thrive.

Secular rule has worked in the West because religion did not offer something better. But for us Muslims our golden age was during the implementation of our religion and whenever we strayed from it we suffered. And it was always religious people from amongst us who took us out of any hole we found ourself stuck into. Throughout our history.

So, do you believe that all of the violence stems only from corruption and injustice, and not in part from sectarian conflicts?

It does stem from that as well but once there is justice sectarian issues are not a major contributor to violence. Egypt was a Shia country under the Fatimids. When Salahudeen(Saladin), a sunni, took over he made the country into a sunni country and no one complained. Why? Because he was a just ruler who ruled with Islam. So, Islam is the best hope for the sectarian issues as well.

I don't think anything else will work especially in the context of Iraq. Under secular rule(whether in the hands of shia or sunni) there will be some sort of oppression, injustice, etc. There were no bombings under Saddam yet there was oppression, right? Under Islam the rights of minorities are protected. The reason why we still see so many Christians, etc in the Muslim world today is because hundreds of years of Islamic rule protected their rights and enabled their communities to thrive.

Why do you think secular rule could not happen without causing oppression and injustice if it was democratic and had protections against the majority trampling upon minorities such as a bill of rights? I'm not saying that there aren't protections for minorities in Islam, but just questioning whether only Sharia can offer such protections. I ask this because it does seem to me that there are secular governments in existence that do strive to protect minority rights.

Secular rule has worked in the West because religion did not offer something better. But for us Muslims our golden age was during the implementation of our religion and whenever we strayed from it we suffered. And it was always religious people from amongst us who took us out of any hole we found ourself stuck into. Throughout our history.

So you are saying not that a secular government couldn't achieve peace and justice, but that it wouldn't work for Muslims because of their religious heritage?

It does stem from that as well but once there is justice sectarian issues are not a major contributor to violence. Egypt was a Shia country under the Fatimids. When Salahudeen(Saladin), a sunni, took over he made the country into a sunni country and no one complained. Why? Because he was a just ruler who ruled with Islam. So, Islam is the best hope for the sectarian issues as well.

While I do not know if Islam is the best solution for what is happening in Iraq (it could be), I did wonder about your example. While the Fatimids were indeed Shia, it seems that the majority of the population they ruled was actually Sunni. I think this might be a contributing factor for the ready acceptance of change to the Sunni administered government implemented by Saladin.

Why do you think secular rule could not happen without causing oppression and injustice if it was democratic and had protections against the majority trampling upon minorities such as a bill of rights? I'm not saying that there aren't protections for minorities in Islam, but just questioning whether only Sharia can offer such protections. I ask this because it does seem to me that there are secular governments in existence that do strive to protect minority rights.

I'm speaking in the context of Iraq and the wider Islamic world. Secular rule will be used to further the agendas of people who are in power just like it is being done across the Islamic world. Forget minority rights, even the majority do not get their rights.

So you are saying not that a secular government couldn't achieve peace and justice, but that it wouldn't work for Muslims because of their religious heritage?

It would not work because our history shows as much but also, although the West has achieved "peace and justice" to some degree, 'justice' in a secular sense is different to justice in the religious or Islamic sense. As an example homosexuality is not tolerated in Islam. To secular people that might be un-just but to Muslims that is being just. Because for us God defines what is 'peace and justice' not us humans.

While I do not know if Islam is the best solution for what is happening in Iraq (it could be), I did wonder about your example. While the Fatimids were indeed Shia, it seems that the majority of the population they ruled was actually Sunni. I think this might be a contributing factor for the ready acceptance of change to the Sunni administered government implemented by Saladin.

You could be right about the example. I still see Islam as being the best solution though.

I'm speaking in the context of Iraq and the wider Islamic world. Secular rule will be used to further the agendas of people who are in power just like it is being done across the Islamic world. Forget minority rights, even the majority do not get their rights.

Pehaps you are right. I just hope for peace and freedom for the people of Iraq. I do not think it matters as much the form it takes.