Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

Turkish -french Argue Over Genocide

(Reuters) - Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan accused France of genocide in Algeria in the 1940s and 50s, in his latest response to a French parliament vote to make it a crime to deny that the mass killings of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey was genocide.

Erdogan also said President Nicolas Sarkozy's father might have direct knowledge about French "massacres" in Algeria.

"In Algeria from 1945, an estimated 15 percent of the population was massacred by the French. This is a genocide," Erdogan said on live television.

"If the French President Mr Sarkozy doesn't know about this genocide he should go and ask his father, Paul Sarkozy.

"His father served in the French Legion in Algeria in the 1940s. I am sure he would have lots to tell his son about the French massacres in Algeria," the Turkish premier said.

Parliamentarians in France's lower house of parliament voted overwhelmingly in favor of a draft law outlawing genocide denial Thursday, which the Senate will debate next year.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to deny the 1915 mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks amounted to genocide. The issue has caused outrage in Turkey, which argues killings took place on all sides during a fierce partisan conflict.

Erdogan condemned the bill shortly after the vote, recalled Ankara's ambassador to France for consultations and cancelled all joint economic, political and military meetings. Friday, he vowed to take more steps.

"We will take gradual measures as long as the current (French) attitude is maintained," he said, without elaborating.

"The vote in the French parliament has shown how dangerous racism, discrimination and Islamophobia have become in France and Europe."

Although nearly a century has passed since the killings in the middle of World War One, successive Turkish governments and the vast majority of Turks feel the charge of Armenian genocide is an insult to their nation.

(Reporting by Jonathon Burch; Editing by Alistair Lyon)

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2011/12/23/us-turkey-france-idUSTRE7BM0M020111223"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2011/12/23/...E7BM0M020111223[/url]

PropellerAds

Let's be honest Turkey, you committed the Armenian Genocide. Accept it and give your reprimands to the Armenian people. France should do the same with the Algerians.

I wonder what the purpose of the French parliament is.

1) I do not agree that any government can force a people to say what something is or isn't. Freedom of speech is violated.

2) It is in history and French governments in history cannot always be looked in a favorable light, for example Napoleon III.

3) The Ottomans of the past is not the Turkish government of today, especially if you look at it from an Islamic perspective of the Caliphate.

Agree with wesley but is this historically correct ?

:"In Algeria from 1945, an estimated 15 percent of the population was massacred by the French. This is a genocide," Erdogan said on live television.

The Algerian War and what happened in Armenia are very different. The figure Erdogan cited is actually correct, but the context he places it in is incorrect.

By 1962, once the war between France and Algeria ended, it is estimated that between 750,000 and 1 million Algerians had died in the fighting. The population then was somewhere between 10-15 million. As this was a full war for the independence of Algeria, most of those who died were enemy combatants, although there were definitely civilian casualties. There are no clear estimates of how many civilians died. Some of the deaths were not 100% French caused as there was some fighting of Algerian rival groups amongst each other. Most though, were in the French-Algerian fighting.

What happened in Armenia, starting in 1915, was much different. After a group of about 20,000 Armenians sided with the Russians, a systematic campaign started to remove Armenians from the region. This included civilians. The Armenians were removed from their lands, sent to detention camps, others were killed, some were raped, and there are pictures of the mass graves of the groups which were killed. These civilians were not combatants nor was there any war or revolution. What happened was most closely resembled the genocide of the Tutsi in Rwanda in 1994 or the genocide of the Jewish by the Nazis during WWII.

No matter how you look at it, history is ugly sometimes. I pray there are no future genocides.

Edited by Wesley

Some great points Wesley. I also wonder at this propensity for making laws against saying things. If people want to be revisionists with grievous incidents of the past, this is not a task for the police, it is rather a matter of proper education and better research and documentation of the truth. It is a job for the scholars pen, not the polices baton.

I can't help but chuckle when I read the article. What if every one, every country starts doing the same thing?

Yasnov

I can't help but chuckle when I read the article. What if every one, every country starts doing the same thing?

Debates about historical events would be rare and brief affairs. Either that or they would be conducted only in prisons.

Debates about historical events would be rare and brief affairs. Either that or they would be conducted only in prisons.

Yeah, I think that all the French people should get together and act immediately, and put all these lawmakers behind prisons for doing this heinous thing. What's an insult to intelligence and independent thinking on international affairs. :sl: *shudder*

They are there not to tell people what to believe, and not to believe..

Yasnov

France is a leader in the war against Turkey. Turkish economy is growing the fastest in Europe. Europe is sinking.

A hundred years ago They called Turkey " The sick man of Europe" but I call Turkey today "The healthy man of sick Europe."

I wonder how the French got started in this business of outlawing the communication of certain ideas.

I wonder how the French got started in this business of outlawing the communication of certain ideas.

I know that in Germany it is illegal to deny the genocide of the Jews during WWII, but this is in the country where his happened.

Why France should bother with Turkey is another thing.

Personally, I would like to thank the Muslims here for calling it a genocide. It does touch me. As an Orthodox Christian, I do have a different view of things, although I try to see other points of view too.

Muslims, thank you. You have touched me.

Richard