Islamic Forum
the sad clown

Mohamed Bouazizi

I was recently reading the wikipedia article on Bouazizi, and it said that there was a division of opinion regarding him. I'll quote the section:

Since suicide is forbidden in Islam, Bouazizi's self-immolation created controversy among scholarly Muslim circles. While al-Azhar, the most prestigious religious institution in the Sunni Muslim world, issued a fatwa ("directive") stating "suicide violates Islam even when it is carried out as a social or political protest," influential Egyptian cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi spoke sympathetically of Bouazizi.

Does Islam condemn his action, and how do most Muslims view him and his action?

PropellerAds

the law of Islaam states that self killing is a sin without compromise. Only Allaah knows the intention of his actions.

So Bouazizi is looked upon poorly in the Muslim community because of this?

So Bouazizi is looked upon poorly in the Muslim community because of this?

I wouldn't want to comment on the individual who carried out the act, but as brother al-amiyr mentioned suicide is forbidden in Islaam.

I wouldn't want to comment on the individual who carried out the act, but as brother al-amiyr mentioned suicide is forbidden in Islaam.

Why do you not want to comment on Bouazizi?

Why do you not want to comment on Bouazizi?

I don't feel as if it's my place to say anything, and it's not going to make a difference anyway because he has returned to his Lord.

I don't feel as if it's my place to say anything, and it's not going to make a difference anyway because he has returned to his Lord.

Do mean pending the day of judgment or are you saying that he will probably still go to heaven even though he committed suicide?

Do mean pending the day of judgment or are you saying that he will probably still go to heaven even though he committed suicide?

I have absolutely no idea whether he will go to Heaven or Hell, as Muslims we don't say that such and such person is going to Hell or such and such person is going to Heaven -- Allaah knows best.

I thought it was interesting that his act was seen negatively by Muslims. I think he might be viewed more positively as an inspirational figure in the West. It seems that westerners are not getting a very good understanding about how Muslims view him.

I thought it was interesting that his act was seen negatively by Muslims. I think he might be viewed more positively as an inspirational figure in the West. It seems that westerners are not getting a very good understanding about how Muslims view him.

Well I'm not sure how true that is... you have to remember that the people protesting aren't necessarily the most religiously devout, so I do believe he had support from Tunisian protesters and perhaps other Arabs involved in protesting too.

Well I'm not sure how true that is... you have to remember that the people protesting aren't necessarily the most religiously devout, so I do believe he had support from Tunisian protesters and perhaps other Arabs involved in protesting too.

Do you think the lack of religious devotion in the people leading these protests will have an effect on my question about the connection between (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=737621&hl="]the Arab Spring and a restored Caliphate[/url]?

Do you think the lack of religious devotion in the people leading these protests will have an effect on my question about the connection between (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=737621&hl="]the Arab Spring and a restored Caliphate[/url]?

Well I don't want to say that the people protesting lack religious devotion, because I'm not there so I really don't know. As for the protests themselves... again I really don't know what to make of them.