Islamic Forum
chelsea89

What Did My Fellow Western Muslims Do

Just wondered what my Muslim brothers and Sisters in the West did on their day off today?

PropellerAds

Thanks for this question. I was just going to ask what many Muslims were doing during the Christmas holiday.

As for your average non-Muslim I went to church (yes, I the avowed atheist) and then went home to get some sleep before working tonight. Sadly, my workplace is a hospital and patients don't stop getting sick for the holidays.

Thanks for this question. I was just going to ask what many Muslims were doing during the Christmas holiday.

As for your average non-Muslim I went to church (yes, I the avowed atheist) and then went home to get some sleep before working tonight. Sadly, my workplace is a hospital and patients don't stop getting sick for the holidays.

I feel like I'm quoting you a lot today. But why did you go to church? Family obligations?

As for me, this was no different from any Sunday I've had--although I have no class or work tomorrow, so it was a little more pleasant than usual because of that.

Salam.

I feel like I'm quoting you a lot today. But why did you go to church? Family obligations?

Essentially. It would be an enormous strain on my relationship with my wife if I didn't go. I can't predict the severity of her reaction if I were to refuse.

As for me, this was no different from any Sunday I've had--although I have no class or work tomorrow, so it was a little more pleasant than usual because of that.

What about businesses that would have otherwise been open? Do you not normally go out on Sundays?

Essentially. It would be an enormous strain on my relationship with my wife if I didn't go. I can't predict the severity of her reaction if I were to refuse.

I see. Does she know that you are an atheist?

What about businesses that would have otherwise been open? Do you not normally go out on Sundays?

Unless I have plans to see family or friends, I usually prefer to stay home, especially since I've been so busy lately. Actually, it slipped my mind for a moment that today was Christmas and therefore, the stores would be closed. Note to self: buy groceries the day before a major holiday in the future.

There was an ICNA (Islamic Circle of North America) convention held in Atlanta this weekend and I attended it yesterday. Even though we don't celebrate Christmas, the holidays give everyone the opportunity to arrange and attend Islamic functions such as this.

Salam.

There was an ICNA (Islamic Circle of North America) convention held in Atlanta this weekend and I attended it yesterday. Even though we don't celebrate Christmas, the holidays give everyone the opportunity to arrange and attend Islamic functions such as this.

I don't want to press you, but I would be interested in hearing from you about the conference.

I don't want to press you, but I would be interested in hearing from you about the conference.

It's being held at the Hilton hotel from Saturday to Monday. Speakers from all over North America attend and give lectures in different conference rooms. Some of the speakers are well-known in the Muslim communities, so it's inspiring to meet people who are dedicated to spreading the message of Islam.

Actually, here is the program schedule that I found online: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_web.icnaatlanta(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2011%20Consolidated%20Program.pdf"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_web.icnaatlanta(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-content/uplo...d%20Program.pdf[/url]

It's a very rewarding experience. I can't say I agree with all of the speakers (I tend to be a bit more conservative than most American Muslims), but I still attend every year if I can.

Salam.

Just a normal day. Didn't plan on doing anything but my parents wanted to go on a drive around the city and forced me to go wit them so that's what I did on Christmas day. When we got home my brother put on '28 weeks later' so I just watched that.. Yes I do like a good horror movie once in a while..

It's being held at the Hilton hotel from Saturday to Monday. Speakers from all over North America attend and give lectures in different conference rooms. Some of the speakers are well-known in the Muslim communities, so it's inspiring to meet people who are dedicated to spreading the message of Islam.

Actually, here is the program schedule that I found online: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_web.icnaatlanta(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2011%20Consolidated%20Program.pdf"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_web.icnaatlanta(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-content/uplo...d%20Program.pdf[/url]

It's a very rewarding experience. I can't say I agree with all of the speakers (I tend to be a bit more conservative than most American Muslims), but I still attend every year if I can.

Salam.

Which session was the best for you? Was there a particular speaker you thought was really good?

The really good ones usually get locked up.. usually on made up charges.

Are you talking about ICNA conference speakers?

No, Islamic scholars, shayks, speakers, etc in general.

I just posted (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=737621&hl="]a question about the Arab Spring[/url], and I was wondering, do you think this movement is improving the global situation for Muslims? I know that a lot of scholars ran afoul of authorities in countries like Egypt, so perhaps the situation will be improving for them.

Same as every other day... spent the majority of it studying :sl: I have to say, this Christmas there was nothing worth watching on TV!

I see. Does she know that you are an atheist?

I totally missed this question. Yes, she does know.

"The really good ones usually get locked up.. usually on made up charges."

I think thats a bit unfair, a lot of ppl representing or claiming to represent Islam do tend to say nice things in english, but then in arabic its the anti everything rhetoric.

"The really good ones usually get locked up.. usually on made up charges."

I think thats a bit unfair, a lot of ppl representing or claiming to represent Islam do tend to say nice things in english, but then in arabic its the anti everything rhetoric.

His claim seems fairly vague. How do you know the people he is referring to are the same you are referring to?

We did what my Jewish family did growing up: Go out for Chinese food!

What? sweet and sour chicken vs latkas! lol in my experience Hannukah runs through Christmas alot.

What? sweet and sour chicken vs latkas! lol in my experience Hannukah runs through Christmas alot.

Ha, there's no "versus" -- they go great together!

No, I did the same with my family as I did growing up in a Jewish family. In fact, it can be kind of nice, the feeling of having the movie theaters to ourselves and the excuse to chow on Chinese food.

All in all, though, we still get to experience the feeling of peace and happiness, even if it isn't connected to some religious experience for us.

(But, yes, television program is awful on Christmas Day.)

Just wondered what my Muslim brothers and Sisters in the West did on their day off today?

Oh it was such a boring today because in Ireland everywhere closes on Christmas day so you just have to stay at home! My family are Catholic there's a christmas tree in the house, but they aren't religious so they don't go to church. I think christmas is more about santa in Ireland and getting presents etc.

Dinner was nice though.

Ha, there's no "versus" -- they go great together!

No, I did the same with my family as I did growing up in a Jewish family. In fact, it can be kind of nice, the feeling of having the movie theaters to ourselves and the excuse to chow on Chinese food.

All in all, though, we still get to experience the feeling of peace and happiness, even if it isn't connected to some religious experience for us.

(But, yes, television program is awful on Christmas Day.)

I always ate mine with choreset and applesauce. Or sour cream mmmmm. I eat sour cream on anything though,pizza, spaghetti, even tacos *gasp*

I just meant in general, no1 specific.

And yet we have no way of knowing if your generalization coincides with the class covered by his generalization.