Islamic Forum
Younes

In Nigeria, Boko Haram Is Not The Problem

Meanwhile, Boko Haram has evolved into a franchise that includes criminal groups claiming its identity. Revealingly, Nigeria’s State Security Services issued a statement on Nov. 30, identifying members of four “criminal syndicates” that send threatening text messages in the name of Boko Haram. Southern Nigerians — not northern Muslims — ran three of these four syndicates, including the one that led the American Embassy and other foreign missions to issue warnings that emptied Abuja’s high-end hotels. And last week, the security services arrested a Christian southerner wearing northern Muslim garb as he set fire to a church in the Niger Delta. In Nigeria, religious terrorism is not always what it seems.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/02/opinion/in-nigeria-boko-haram-is-not-the-problem.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/02/opinion/...;pagewanted=all[/url]

PropellerAds
Meanwhile, Boko Haram has evolved into a franchise that includes criminal groups claiming its identity. Revealingly, Nigeria’s State Security Services issued a statement on Nov. 30, identifying members of four “criminal syndicates†that send threatening text messages in the name of Boko Haram. Southern Nigerians — not northern Muslims — ran three of these four syndicates, including the one that led the American Embassy and other foreign missions to issue warnings that emptied Abuja’s high-end hotels. And last week, the security services arrested a Christian southerner wearing northern Muslim garb as he set fire to a church in the Niger Delta. In Nigeria, religious terrorism is not always what it seems.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/02/opinion/in-nigeria-boko-haram-is-not-the-problem.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/02/opinion/...;pagewanted=all[/url]

Has Boko Haram, or its official leadership, released any statement which does the following

1) Condemn the actions of these criminals

2) States the actions of these criminals are not from them.

Yeah let's believe everything the media says. Do you know that 'boko haram' is not even their name? Exactly, you didn't know that. This is just some name the media gave them. I don't know who is behind the recent attacks, etc but there has been fighting in Nigeria for years between Muslims and Christians. Ofcourse the world now wants to pay attention because a group stands for Islam.

I don't even think this group carried out the recent attacks against Christians because they have always been against the goverment because the gov. Of Nigeria killed their leader and arrested their members . I won't be surprised if this is just more propaganda against yet another Islamic group.

The article you posted is by a Jean Herskovits and notice the article is in the "opinion" section of the New York Times. Editorials are not usually based on fact. Still, let us dig a little deeper.

I found a biography of Jean Herskovits here (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnewsafrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/about-us/editorial-board.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnewsafrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/about-us/editorial-board.html[/url]

It says Jean is currently chairs the international advisory board of the "Shehu Shagari World Institute."

Here is a wikipedia article about Shehu Shagari (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Shehu_Shagari"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Shehu_Shagari[/url]

Shehu Shagari is an ex-President of Nigeria and an honorary member of the Sokoto Caliphate. Shagari was overthrown due to accusations of corruption and other issues. Shegari also supported ex-President President Umaru Yar’Adua’, whom the current President Johnson replaced. Yar'Adua was successful in establishing Shari'a law in the northern state of Katsina. Shegari has not supported Johnson and restarted the Shehu Shagari World Institute.

The Sokoto Caliphate is led by Sultan Sa'adu Abubakar, a well respected leader in Nigeria.

Here is an article by (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_allafrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/stories/201112300822.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_allafrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/stories/201112300822.html[/url]

LEADERSHIP checks revealed that the idea originated from the meetings the President held with the Sultan of Sokoto, and the leadership of the CAN as an aftermath of last Sunday's attacks in four different states in the North.

The Sultan was said to have disowned the sect as anti-Islamic and asked the Federal Government to do whatever it could to contain them, describing the sect as "an embarrassment to Islam".

Even the Sultan of the Sokoto Caliphate, which represents a majority of Muslims in Nigeria, recognizes Boko Haram and that they are anti-Islamic and responsible for the church attacks. This seems to discredit Jean.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_myondostate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/w3/jean-herskovits-american-woman-employs-half-truths-to-alter-the-boko-haram-narrative-against-southerners-she-is-a-buddy-of-danjuma/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_myondostate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/w3/jean-herskovits-...ddy-of-danjuma/[/url]

This article is a response to the Jean article, which seems to show various other ties Jean has, as well as the misrepresentation of Boko Haram and its leader.

Overall, I believe Shagari supports the development of Shari'a, at least in parts of Nigeria. Jean, as a more public spokesperson, is a supporter of this and has attempted to place blame on the "Christian government" of Johnson, which opposes Shari'a. Boko Haram, which also supports Shari'a, has a comparable goal as that of Shagari. I do wonder why the Sultan of the Sokoto Caliphate and the Shagari organization are at a difference about Boko Haram, but perhaps each has a different approach in the promotion of political Islam in Nigeria.

I noticed it was in the opinion section as well, but didn't bother mentioning it since Younes should have done so. Instead, he just copied and pasted as if it were fact. The truth is that Boko Haram is an extremist group and they have carried out some attacks. Presenting them as a scapegoat when they have stated that they want to attack the West, the US in particular etc. is an injustice.

Well first of all, I didn't copy and paste it as if it was fact. I posted it to generate discussion. It is a view which is that the situation in Nigeria is more complex than it seems.

Yes, it is more complex than it seems as both you and Wesley have pointed out. Your post seems to generate sympathy or a scapegoat rather than....

You can't read things such as "sympathy" and "spacegoat" into my post, considering that I didn't write anything.

Your post consists of snippets of a one-sided article that seems to imply that Boko Haram are scapegoats and wrongly accused of extremism or terrorism.

You can't read things such as "sympathy" and "spacegoat" into my post, considering that I didn't write anything.

Spacegoat ?

r

Spacegoat ?

I realize that the situation is quite complex in Nigeria (I noted as much (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=737624&view=findpost&p=1250478"]here[/url]). But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to quote Spacegoat.

I immediately thought of Space Ghost. Nothing should be assumed by this association. I am merely reporting the occurrence of a synthesis of Space Ghost with a goat's face in my head.

I realize that the situation is quite complex in Nigeria (I noted as much (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=737624&view=findpost&p=1250478"]here[/url]). But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to quote Spacegoat.

I immediately thought of Space Ghost. Nothing should be assumed by this association. I am merely reporting the occurrence of a synthesis of Space Ghost with a goat's face in my head.

A 'Freudian slip' perhaps?

ron

"Boko Haram is not the problem" seems to imply that it is not a problem at all. Perhaps Younes would view things differently if he was bombed in the street or forced to follow a brand of Islam/a religion he does not adhere to.

Article on the latest video by the sect's leader:

The leader of Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamist militants has defended recent attacks on Christians, saying they are revenge for killings of Muslims.

In his first video message, posted on YouTube, Abubakar Shekau referred to attacks on Muslims in recent years in several parts of northern Nigeria.

Boko Haram militants attacked several churches on Christmas Day, killing dozens of worshippers.

This has led to some revenge attacks on Masjids in the mainly Christian south.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation with 160 million people, is divided between a largely Muslim north and a south where most people are Christians and some animists.

Thousands of people have fled their homes following the recent attacks, leading some people, including Nigeria's president and the leader of the country's main Christian organisation, to make comparisons with the 1967-70 civil war when leaders of the south-eastern Igbo ethnic group tried to secede.

Religious cleansing'

Mr Shekau, wearing a red and white turban, a bullet-proof vest and sitting in front of two Kalashnikov rifles, said he was responding to recent statements from Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan and the leader of the country's main Christian organisation, the Christian Association of Nigeria.

He warned President Jonathan that Nigeria's security forces would not be able to defeat the group.

Mr Jonathan, a Christian, has declared a state of emergency in some northern states but the attacks have continued.

On Tuesday night, gunmen opened fire on a bar in the northern state of Yobe, killing eight people, including several police officers.

The president recently said that he suspected some officials, politicians and members of the security forces sympathised with Boko Haram.

Defending the latest spate of violence, Mr Shekau referred to the killing of Muslims in places like Jos, Kaduna, Zangon Kataf, Tafawa Balewa in recent years.

Some of these places have seen bitter communal clashes but correspondents say they are often based on long-standing disputes over resources such as land, or are whipped up by politicians, rather than being based on religious differences.

Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, president of the Christian Association of Nigeria, said on Saturday that his members would protect themselves against the attacks, which he said suggested "systematic ethnic and religious cleansing".

Mr Shekau said the group could only hold talks with the government in accordance with the teachings of Islam.

He said the group's primary targets remained the security forces, who he said had summarily executed their former leader Mohammed Yusuf after he was arrested in 2009.

After a lull, in 2010 the group started to stage drive-by shootings on government targets in its base in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri.

Last year, it carried out suicide bombings on high-profile targets such as the headquarters of the UN and the police in the capital, Abuja.

Boko Haram: Timeline of terror

2002: Founded

2009: Hundreds killed when Maiduguri police stations stormed

2009: Boko Haram leader Mohammed Yusuf captured by army, handed to police, later found dead

Sep 2010: Freed hundreds of prisoners from Maiduguri jail

Dec 2010: Bombed Jos, killing 80 people and blamed for New Year's Eve attack on Abuja barracks

2010-2011: Dozens killed in Maiduguri shootings

May 2011: Bombed several states after president's inauguration

June 2011: Police HQ bombed in Abuja

Aug 2011: UN HQ bombed in Abuja

Nov 2011: Co-ordinated bomb and gun attacks in Yobe and Borno states

Dec 2011: Multiple bomb attacks on Christmas Day kill dozens

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929[/url]

If they are as innocent as the snippet (and the entire article) that Younes quoted, why on earth would they feel the need to boast about their firepower?

Edited by missjupiter

"Boko Haram is not the problem" seems to imply that it is not a problem at all. Perhaps Younes would view things differently if he was bombed in the street or forced to follow a brand of Islam/a religion he does not adhere to.

If they are as innocent as the snippet (and the entire article) that Younes quoted, why on earth would they feel the need to boast about their firepower?

Well, first of all, I didn't write that "In Nigeria, Boko Haram is not the problem". Secondly, I don't think it that the title implies that Boko Haram is not a problem at all. What I think that the title means is that Boko Haram is not the underlying problem. If I say write, for example, "Gangs in America are not the problem", does this mean that gangs are not a problem? No. Similarly, in this article the author explains that poverty and political corruption are the underlying problem. I don't think the author absolves Boko Haram of what they have done or says that they are innocent. The author states that Boko Haram has resorted to violence. In fact, the "timeline of terror" that you have quoted there actually supports what the author wrote.

"Boko Haram began in 2002 as a peaceful Islamic splinter group. Then politicians began exploiting it for electoral purposes. But it was not until 2009 that Boko Haram turned to violence, especially after its leader, a young Muslim cleric named Mohammed Yusuf, was killed while in police custody. Video footage of Mr. Yusuf’s interrogation soon went viral, but no one was tried and punished for the crime. Seeking revenge, Boko Haram targeted the police, the military and local politicians — all of them Muslims."

LOL! I'm trying to hold back my laughter so as not to wake everyone up.

In the latest update, the group called Boko Haram seems to have put out a video from its ostensible leader claiming that the attacks on Christians was justified:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2012/01/11/nigeria-violence-idUSL6E8CB64A20120111"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2012/01/11/...E8CB64A20120111[/url]

I don't know much about Nigeria. All I have heard in recent years is horrendous violence by Christians, Muslims, the Government forces, etc on each other. This group had its leader killed ad many of its followers killed by the government back in 2009. But what I want to know is what caused this group to now start fighting. Clearly someone did something to them if what they said in that article is to go by. I'm not supporting any violence or this group. But all of a sudden they start to fight like this and they claim it is self defence and revenge so clearly something is missing here. Someone did something to them that has caused this. May Allah stop all unjust fighting and killing.

were justifiable revenge attacks

everyone knows what they have done to us and Muslims ... we were attacked and we decided to defend ourselves

"Everyone knows how our leader was murdered and everyone knows the way the Muslims were killed,

Anyone who attacks us, we will attack him back even if he is a Muslim

There. I was right, their name is NOT boko haram:

The group's official name is People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet's Teachings and Jihad, which is the English translation of Jama'atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda'awati wal-Jihad (جماعة أهل السنة للدعوة والجهاد).

-Wikipedia

better known by its Hausa name Boko Haram -- Immediately following the name you provided on Wikipedia.

It's just a matter of symantics.

I don't know much about Nigeria. All I have heard in recent years is horrendous violence by Christians, Muslims, the Government forces, etc on each other. This group had its leader killed ad many of its followers killed by the government back in 2009. But what I want to know is what caused this group to now start fighting. Clearly someone did something to them if what they said in that article is to go by. I'm not supporting any violence or this group. But all of a sudden they start to fight like this and they claim it is self defence and revenge so clearly something is missing here. Someone did something to them that has caused this. May Allah stop all unjust fighting and killing.

From what I read, they were arming and training people, but didn't start attacks until the government moved to stop them from these activities, at which point they began their attacks, initially against the police and government forces if I recall correctly. I think the church attacks are a relatively new thing for them, although I could be wrong about that.

Did someone disagree with you or say that boko haram was the name they called themselves?

"were justifiable revenge attacks

everyone knows what they have done to us and Muslims ... we were attacked and we decided to defend ourselves

"Everyone knows how our leader was murdered and everyone knows the way the Muslims were killed,

Anyone who attacks us, we will attack him back even if he is a Muslim"

Many people are killed in police custody in Nigeria - including Christians. How is bombing a church justifiable when the Church did not arrest and kill their leader? They espouse extremist ideology which is why they were founded in the first place though they did not begin fighting then - 'peaceful' is not the word since their ideology was filled with hate. You are treading a fine line here - do not sympathise with them.

Younes, you gotta admit spacegoat was funny. Not trying to be mean or laughing at you, and I don't think anyone here was... We all make mistakes. :sl:

Edited by missjupiter

Many people are killed in police custody in Nigeria - including Christians. How is bombing a church justifiable when the Church did not arrest and kill their leader?

That is not the justification they gave for it. Re-read the article the sad clown posted.

They espouse extremist ideology which is why they were founded in the first place though they did not begin fighting then - 'peaceful' is not the word since their ideology was filled with hate.

Explain why their ideology is filled with hate. What is their ideology?

You are treading a fine line here - do not sympathise with them.

How did you come up with that?! Can you show me where I was being sympathetic? This is really offensive. Try re-reading my post. Questioning and trying to see the 'entire picture' now means I sympathise? This is the exact disgusting attitude many people in America faced just because they dared to ask "WHY were we attacked on 9/11?" So trying to know the truth now becomes a bad, frowned upon thing. What are you afraid of? That you will find out that Christians in Nigeria have been killing as much as the Muslims? Or are you trying to hide it?

How did you come up with that?! Can you show me where I was being sympathetic? This is really offensive. Try re-reading my post. Questioning and trying to see the 'entire picture' now means I sympathise? This is the exact disgusting attitude many people in America faced just because they dared to ask "WHY were we attacked on 9/11?" So trying to know the truth now becomes a bad, frowned upon thing. What are you afraid of? That you will find out that Christians in Nigeria have been killing as much as the Muslims? Or are you trying to hide it?

I mean by the quotes from them that you posted. I am not suggesting that you support or condone their actions, but it seems that in your statement you harp on revenge or retaliation or victimisation of boko haram:

"But what I want to know is what caused this group to now start fighting. Clearly someone did something to them if what they said in that article is to go by. I'm not supporting any violence or this group. But all of a sudden they start to fight like this and they claim it is self defence and revenge so clearly something is missing here. Someone did something to them that has caused this. May Allah stop all unjust fighting and killing. "

Their killing of civilians is without cause, whether the state or anyone else did anything to them.

The ethnic-religious clashes over land and resources are different from Boko Haram.

They began killing when the state investigated their activities:

"in 2009 when the Nigerian government launched an investigation into the group's activities following reports that its members were arming themselves.[37] Prior to that the government reportedly repeatedly ignored warnings about the increasingly militant character of the organisation, including that of a military officer.[37]

When the government came into action, several members of the group were arrested in Bauchi, sparking deadly clashes with Nigerian security forces which led to the deaths of an estimated 700 people. During the fighting with the security forces Boko Haram "fighters reportedly "used fuel-laden motorcycles" and "bows with poison arrows" to attack a police station.[38] The group's founder and then leader Mohammed Yusuf was also killed during this time while still in police custody.[39][40][41] After Yusuf's killing, a new leader emerged whose identity is still not known.[42]

After the killing of M. Yusuf, the group carried out its first terrorist attack in Borno in January 2010. It resulted in the killing of four people.[43] Since then, the violence has only escalated in terms of both frequency and intensity."

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Boko_Haram"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Boko_Haram[/url]

The death of their leader in police custody seems to be an extra-judicial and illegal killing, yet bombing churches and civilians is the wrong action since the churches and civilians did not arrest and kill their leader...

Explain why their ideology is filled with hate. What is their ideology?

To impose Sharia in Nigeria even among Christians and Animists.

"the organisation is a Muslim sect that seeks to "abolish the secular system and establish an Islamic state"[7] and "establish Sharia system of government in the country."[8] The members of the group do not interact with the local Muslim population[18] and have carried out assassinations in the past of any one who criticises it, including Muslim clerics.[15]"

This is from the wiki article as well.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_allafrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/stories/201102030036.html"]allAfrica(contact admin if its a beneficial link): Nigeria: We Are Responsible for Borno Killings, Says Boko Haram[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetaljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/news/africa/2011/12/20111224124241652788.html"]"Dozens killed in Nigeria clashes" - AlJazeera.[/url]

"The virus of Islamic jihad is now spreading it’s tentacles within Nigeria. Extremist group Boko Haram have given Christians living in Northern Nigeria notice to leave the area.

Boko Haram is demanding the imposition of Islamic sharia law across Nigeria. It should be remembered that Nigeria has almost equal numbers of Christians and Muslims. "

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_my.telegraph.co.uk/riteman/riteway/16309789/boko-haram-calls-for-sharia-law-in-nigeria/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_my.telegraph.co.uk/riteman/riteway/...law-in-nigeria/[/url]

[this seems to be an opinion piece by a non-journalist]

I have also read reports and heard from Nigerians (Christian, Muslim and Atheist) that they (and their followers) make non-Muslim women wear hijab in some places. This is intolerance (hatred) and extremism to want to submit the non-Muslims and Muslims to sharia if they do not want sharia.

Edited by missjupiter

The death of their leader in police custody seems to be an extra-judicial and illegal killing, yet bombing churches and civilians is the wrong action since the churches and civilians did not arrest and kill their leader...

Exactly. And no one claimed that they are attacking Christians for the killing of their leader. That is why I said that something is missing. They are saying they are fighting for their defence and revenge so there must be someone attacking them from the Christians which is not being shown on the news. That was my point. To know why all of a sudden they would start fighting with Christians when they had no problems with them before. Anyway, I found an update: here is why they say they are fighting Christians. NOTE: Before you start accusing me again I do not condone any fighting and violence. I seriously hope people can live in peace over there. Fighting and war and killing is NOT a joke and none of us should wish it on anyone.

The leader of Boko Haram also defended recent attacks on Christians, saying they were revenge for killings of Muslims.

"We are also at war with Christians because the whole world knows what they did to us," Mr Shekau said in the video, speaking in Hausa.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetzimbio(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Nigeria/articles/ZsLiKFTn4nn/killing+Christians+Boko+Haram"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetzimbio(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Nigeria/articles/ZsL...ians+Boko+Haram[/url]

Masjids in two states have been attacked.**

"We are also at war with Christians because the whole world knows what they did to us," Mr Shekau said in the video, speaking in Hausa - the most common language in northern Nigeria.

"They killed our fellows and even ate their flesh in Jos," he said, referring to reports last year of isolated cases of Christian youths burning and eating their rivals in Plateau state, where more than 1,000 people have been killed in a series of clashes over the past two years.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929[/url]

There you have it. My entire point was to get a full picture of events. Both sides have been fighting and it is not only this group who is doing the killing but the Christians as well. So now maybe you, missjupiter, can explain to us why you are sympathising with those from amongst the Christians who's hateful actions are causing this.

**So Masjids were attacked as well. Places of worship should not be attacked whether a Masjid or a Church but the interesting thing to note is NO ONE bothered reporting the attack on the Masajids but the attack on the Church is getting headlines all over the world.

To impose Sharia in Nigeria even among Christians and Animists.

I don't know what ideology this group follows. But are you suggesting that Islamic law and constitution is filled with "hate"?