Islamic Forum
Younes

In Nigeria, Boko Haram Is Not The Problem

From what I read, they were arming and training people, but didn't start attacks until the government moved to stop them from these activities, at which point they began their attacks, initially against the police and government forces if I recall correctly. I think the church attacks are a relatively new thing for them, although I could be wrong about that.

Yes that's true that is why I was wondering why they would attack Christians all of a sudden. Now we know why..

Did someone disagree with you or say that boko haram was the name they called themselves?

No I was just pointing out that I was right that boko haram is not their name as I previously thought. Which is a big deal because that proves they are not against education as that name implies.

PropellerAds
Exactly. And no one claimed that they are attacking Christians for the killing of their leader. That is why I said that something is missing. They are saying they are fighting for their defence and revenge so there must be someone attacking them from the Christians which is not being shown on the news. That was my point. To know why all of a sudden they would start fighting with Christians when they had no problems with them before. Anyway, I found an update: here is why they say they are fighting Christians. NOTE: Before you start accusing me again I do not condone any fighting and violence. I seriously hope people can live in peace over there. Fighting and war and killing is NOT a joke and none of us should wish it on anyone.

They turned to violence after their leader was killed. You should provide evidence to back up your claim, or you should just accept that they are terrorists. Even if a Christian/Christian group attacked them, is it fair for them to kill Christians indiscriminately? I am not saying you support them, but to me it seems like you are looking for excuses for their behaviour - in this case to suggest that the victim asked for it.... Not all Muslims are good people - just as with any religion there are good and bad. It is very concerning when we look for excuses for people who kill indiscriminately. "Yeah, well someone must have made them do it..." seems like what you are saying.

I don't know what ideology this group follows. But are you suggesting that Islamic law and constitution is filled with "hate"?

"The virus of Islamic jihad is now spreading it’s tentacles within Nigeria. Extremist group Boko Haram have given Christians living in Northern Nigeria notice to leave the area.

Boko Haram is demanding the imposition of Islamic sharia law across Nigeria. It should be remembered that Nigeria has almost equal numbers of Christians and Muslims. "

They also refuse to interact with non-Muslims. They are intolerant bigots - they are filled with hatred. Wanting to spread Sharia in Nigeria against the will of the people - whether Muslim or non-Muslim is totally unjustifiable.

There you have it. My entire point was to get a full picture of events. Both sides have been fighting and it is not only this group who is doing the killing but the Christians as well. So now maybe you, missjupiter, can explain to us why you are sympathising with those from amongst the Christians who's hateful actions are causing this.

**So Masjids were attacked as well. Places of worship should not be attacked whether a Masjid or a Church but the interesting thing to note is NO ONE bothered reporting the attack on the Masajids but the attack on the Church is getting headlines all over the world.

Perhaps I can shed light on this for you as someone who lives in Africa with Nigerian friends of both religions and I have also travelled to the country. If I am not mistaken, Jos and other cities lie on the frontline between Northern Nigeria (predominantly Muslim) and Southern Nigerian (predominantly Christian). There is a law which some states have adopted which will only provide services to members of a community if they are indegenious to that community and not originally from another state. Therefore, people from the Northern ethnic groups who reside and the more developed southern cities will not qualify for benefits there - only in their home communities. Some politicians have been trying to capitalise on the tensions and make them more about religion in order to gain politically. I do not deny that Muslims AND Christians have been involved in clashes in Nigeria - however you can't compare it with Boko Haram. Boko Haram was arming and training its members as militants whereas the clashes in Jos and other towns are between Muslim and Christian civilians. Boko Haram wants to establish sharia in Nigeria whereas the Christian and Muslim civilians have clashed over ethnicity and resources and religion is part of the mix as well. It's not just about religion - it's ethnic and socio-economic as well!

NB: Many of the Southern cities are more developed financially as colonialists were not permitted the same access in Northern parts.

Anyone with any corrections or further input is welcome to respond.

Edited by missjupiter

I'm not going to continue discussing this quiet frankly. You call the Muslims terrorists but not the Christians. Even though in this situation the Christians were the aggressors. Personally, I have not supported any violence nor do I do so now against any innocent person. I don't know what the goals of this group are nor do I care but Islamic Shariah is supported and wanted by every Muslim on the planet so you will not get much sympathy from us on that issue.

From the information I have read so far it seems this group was only fighting against the government until Christians started killing and in some cases even eating Muslims. So they can blame themselves now. If you can admit that the Christians that are fighting there are terrorists and hateful individuals then maybe we can continue this discussion but since you are already bias there is no point.

When did I say that Muslims are terrorists? I said Boko Haram are terrorists. The clashes in towns like Jos are between Muslim and Christian CIVILIANS over economic, ethnic and religious issues.

From the information I have read so far it seems this group was only fighting against the government until Christians started killing and in some cases even eating Muslims. So they can blame themselves now. If you can admit that the Christians that are fighting there are terrorists and hateful individuals then maybe we can continue this discussion but since you are already bias there is no point.

:sl: Of course not all Christians are perfect and there are those who have participated in the clashes. Even so, I don't want to continue this with you. You ignore the root of the clashes and how they differ from Boko Haram. And you seem to be saying Christians who haven't participated in the violence deserve what they get because of the actions of other Christians...

Groups of bad people doing anything wrong in the name of religion is bad. Evil.

Boko Haram is bad. Evil.

Bad people doing anything wrong, but not in the name of religion, is bad, not necessarily Evil.

Mutual fighting of various groups for economic reasons, irregardless of religion. Bad. Not necessarily Evil.

Any justification given to an evil act should only be done out of the hope for understanding. Justification does not change evil to good.

I would go out on a limb, but I am fairly certain God would never authorize the bombing of an active place of worship while people are worshipping Him. Nor would God authorize a Messenger/Prophet to do so. God is very pro-worship.

Once again, Boko Haram is bad. Evil.

Exactly. And no one claimed that they are attacking Christians for the killing of their leader. That is why I said that something is missing. They are saying they are fighting for their defence and revenge so there must be someone attacking them from the Christians which is not being shown on the news. That was my point. To know why all of a sudden they would start fighting with Christians when they had no problems with them before. Anyway, I found an update: here is why they say they are fighting Christians.

Actually, I still don't know why they are attacking Christians. The article quotes the man saying:

"We are also at war with Christians because the whole world knows what they did to us," Mr Shekau said in the video, speaking in Hausa.

But unfortunately, what the Christians did to them is still unknown to me. Does anyone have any information on what the Christians did to them that then provoked the bombing of the churches?

**So Masjids were attacked as well. Places of worship should not be attacked whether a Masjid or a Church but the interesting thing to note is NO ONE bothered reporting the attack on the Masajids but the attack on the Church is getting headlines all over the world.

Yes, masjids were attacked after the bombings of the churches, in the sort of retaliation that Mr. Shekau is claiming motivated the attacks on the churches. Here is a quote from the same article:

Boko Haram militants attacked several churches on Christmas Day, killing dozens of worshippers.

This has led to some reprisals in the mainly Christian South.

Masjids in two states have been attacked.

This still leaves me wondering what the Christians did to spark the attacks on the churches.

Yes that's true that is why I was wondering why they would attack Christians all of a sudden. Now we know why..

Unfortunately, I am still a little in the dark on why.

"They killed our fellows and even ate their flesh in Jos," he said, referring to reports last year of isolated cases of Christian youths burning and eating their rivals in Plateau state, where more than 1,000 people have been killed in a series of clashes over the past two years.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510929[/url]

The leader of Boko Haram also defended recent attacks on Christians, saying they were revenge for killings of Muslims.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetzimbio(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Nigeria/articles/ZsLiKFTn4nn/killing+Christians+Boko+Haram"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetzimbio(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Nigeria/articles/ZsL...ians+Boko+Haram[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_blogs.cfr(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/campbell/2011/09/08/conflict-in-jos-a-letter-from-norma/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_blogs.cfr(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/campbell/2011/09/08/c...ter-from-norma/[/url]

Apparently lots of horrible things are going on in Jos for well over two years now, perpetrated by Christians and Muslims. As far as I can tell, this is an unconfirmed report of cannibalism. Were the church bombings in Jos? How has the action punished anyone for the alleged atrocity?

Thank you though for linking to the BBC article, I hadn't seen it before.

Apparently lots of horrible things are going on in Jos for well over two years now, perpetrated by Christians and Muslims. As far as I can tell, this is an unconfirmed report of cannibalism. Were the church bombings in Jos? How has the action punished anyone for the alleged atrocity?

Thank you though for linking to the BBC article, I hadn't seen it before.

I don't know where the bombings were or who this group is "punishing" nor does it matter to me because I am not trying to justify this groups actions. I was merely trying to get to the bottom of this issue because in recent days the threads being posted on this forum about Nigeria are squarely blaming this group only and it was portraying a picture that somehow this group just started attacking people for no reason. When in reality blame lies with Christians as well. Something some members here are unwilling to admit(not you sad clown).

To me it just looks like this group has been dragged into the religious/civil unrest that has been going on for quiet a while now in Nigeria.

To me it just looks like this group has been dragged into the religious/civil unrest that has been going on for quiet a while now in Nigeria.

Quoted for truth, although I wish it wasn't so.

I don't know where the bombings were or who this group is "punishing" nor does it matter to me because I am not trying to justify this groups actions. I was merely trying to get to the bottom of this issue because in recent days the threads being posted on this forum about Nigeria are squarely blaming this group only and it was portraying a picture that somehow this group just started attacking people for no reason. When in reality blame lies with Christians as well. Something some members here are unwilling to admit(not you sad clown).

This group is not participating in the civilian clashes. They are terrorists - they even armed their own militia. And I have already stated several times that the sectarian violence by civilians in Jos and other places has been on both sides. Some people just can't seem to accept that. Where I disagree with you is that this group falls in that category. They seem to be punishing Christians for the death of their leader. Again, I ask you is it fair for them to attack Christians anywhere in Nigeria for what some Christians in limited areas have done?

This group is not participating in the civilian clashes. They are terrorists - they even armed their own militia. And I have already stated several times that the sectarian violence by civilians in Jos and other places has been on both sides. Some people just can't seem to accept that. Where I disagree with you is that this group falls in that category.

Arming themselves and forming a 'militia' inside a country would make them insurgents not terrorists.

In another thread someone said this wa the definition of a terrorist:

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

According to this almost every country is committing terrorism.

They seem to be punishing Christians for the death of their leader. Again, I ask you is it fair for them to attack Christians anywhere in Nigeria for what some Christians in limited areas have done?

Their leader died in 2009. SO they waited two years before attacking Christians for it? When Christians did not even kill their leader? Are you even reading anything from the news article that have been posted?