Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the sad clown

What Role Do Women Play In An Islamic State?

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/10/world/middleeast/egyptian-women-confront-restrictions-of-patriarchy.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2012/01/10/world/mi...patriarchy.html[/url]

The article details the struggles, successes, and frustrations women have had since the uprising in Egypt, and it got me wondering what the prescribed role of women in an Islamic state, or is there a defined role for women in such a state? Is what is happening in Egypt something to be expected? I don't mean the abuses, clearly those aren't sanctioned, but the concern about being sidelined and dependent on men. I would welcome any comments, but if you could link it to what is being said in the article, that would be even better. Thanks.

PropellerAds

I really don't know if there is a prescribed rule for women in an Islamic State. I think women can play a big role like Aisha (ra), the wife of the Prophet (pbuh), who was a scholar and taught the scholars of Medinah. Another example is a woman named Shifa whom Umar (ra) as Caliph appointed as the supervisor of the Medinan market, probably not the most traditional role in Arab society at the time. Umar (ra) also sought her opinion regarding the state's affairs and Umar (ra) used to consult with women in general. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_arabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/lifestyle/Islam/article525258.ece?service=print"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_arabnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/lifestyle/Islam/articl...e?service=print[/url]

Thus there is no problem with women having an active role in society. I think it is necessary because otherwise their rights, needs, views, can't be taken into account. So, when the article says that under 10 women have been elected out of 500 seats, that's extremely insignificant.

However, the Caliph can't be a woman in an Islamic State.

I read the article you linked. I don't find it that suprising that the Egyptian revolution hinges on men. I mean, after all, I would venture a guess and say that almost all violent revolutions hinge on men. That's just how it is. Females are an easier target than males due to physical reasons.

Thus there is no problem with women having an active role in society. I think it is necessary because otherwise their rights, needs, views, can't be taken into account. So, when the article says that under 10 women have been elected out of 500 seats, that's extremely insignificant.

I don't want to misunderstand you, and I fear I might regarding this statement. What do you mean by extremely insignificant? Do you mean the number of women in parliament is an insignificant number, or that it is insignificant to the operation of a fair and representative state that there are only 10 women in the parliament?

Oh, and thank you for the rest of your response. I found it reassuring to say the least.

I meant the latter. I think there ought to be more women representatives so that women's issues get well represented instead of being ignored.

I meant the latter. I think there ought to be more women representatives so that women's issues get well represented instead of being ignored.

Thanks for clarifying that. I sometimes have trouble tracking the course of someones sentence and don't want to misconstrue what they mean. I hope that things will improve for Egyptian women in the future, as I am sure you do as well. Thanks for talking with me about this.