Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

10 Years Of Abuse - Guantanamo

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2012/01/11/us-usa-guantanamo-prison-idUSTRE80A1CN20120111"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetreuters(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/article/2012/01/11/...E80A1CN20120111[/url]

This is the 10th anniversary of Guantanamo. Where is the justice for these people? These people are stripped of basic rights yet the hypocritical nature of the US government seems to think it can criticise the human rights records in other countries. It is time Guantanamo is shut down and these people are given a fair trial set up by the judiciary and not a military commission.

I know not all of you support Amnesty International but sign the petition to close Guantanamo because it is an international concern : (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_amnesty(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/appeals-for-action/End-detentions-at-Guantanamo-Bay"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_amnesty(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/appeals-for-action/E...-Guantanamo-Bay[/url]

PropellerAds

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetaljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/programmes/insidestoryamericas/2012/01/201211171414173881.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetaljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/programmes/inside...1414173881.html[/url]

Thanks Ron for the link i copied and pasted the facts they contain about Guantanamo.

Guantanamo facts

A total of 779 prisoners have been held in Guantanamo since January 11, 2002

About 600 have been released without charges, many after being detained for years

Six detainees have been convicted by military commission

Only one has been prosecuted in a US civilian court

171 detainees remain at Guantanamo

And I want to add the military commissions are fundamentally wrong, they are not independent. They do not give a fair trial.

This is the 10th anniversary of Guantanamo. Where is the justice for these people? These people are stripped of basic rights yet the hypocritical nature of the US government seems to think it can criticise the human rights records in other countries. It is time Guantanamo is shut down and these people are given a fair trial set up by the judiciary and not a military commission.

I agree. I was listening to the radio about it while driving and was yelling at the radio for most of the report (probably shouldn't be driving while that angry). It is certainly one of more outrageous and shameful parts of modern American history and it isn't even finished becoming history yet.

I agree. I was listening to the radio about it while driving and was yelling at the radio for most of the report (probably shouldn't be driving while that angry). It is certainly one of more outrageous and shameful parts of modern American history and it isn't even finished becoming history yet.

Yeah but still people are manipulated into believing it is better for the security of the US. I am really disappointed in many Americans because they have a good education system and yet some of them are easily fooled by the lies of politicians who play with the fear emotion knowing that after 9/11 American citizens have high fears of terrorism. I don't believe Guantanamo strengthens US security, in fact it weakens it...even countries in Europe are against Guantanamo and European countries are considered allies of the US.

Obama and we can change lol funny

Obama and we can change lol funny

I wish I could support Obama on this and say that his efforts to close it were stymied by the cowardice of Congress and state politicians, but the truth is he gave in to their resistance way too easily and the failure is his, although he isn't alone in the blame. The country as a whole failed in this matter.

What do we really know about Guantanamo? Any documentary that was made, every image that comes out of there has to be seen by a military censor that will approve what can be broadcast.

After reading through the Amnesty Report here are some interesting points.

- Detainees have access to habeas corpus, but if a judge orders release on the grounds that the detention is unlawful, this can still mean indefinite detention, possibly for years, if the government says it is unable to find any country willing to take the detainee (because the USA continues to refuse to allow any Guantánamo detainee to be released into the USA).

- Where no trial is deemed possible – which the administration concluded in 2010 was the case for 48 Guantánamo detainees – indefinite detention without any prospect of criminal trial in any form is the order of the day

- Three detainees die in June 2006 reportedly by suicide.

May 2007, a detainee dies reportedly by suicide.

December 2007, a detainee dies reportedly by cancer.

June 2009, a detainee dies reportedly by suicide.

February 2011, a detainee dies reportedly from natural causes.

May 2011, a detainee dies reportedly by suicide.

Total deaths:8

It took 7 weeks to get the prison up and running so Amnesty asks an interesting question: The country that was first to put a human being on the moon apparently cannot find its way to closing a prison its last two presidents have said does the country serious harm. Surely this is not rocket science, so what on earth is the problem?

Here is a quick statement by Dr. Ron Paul, the only one that advocates closing down Guantanamo, about this topic.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyoutube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=qUAobbbmjtc"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyoutube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=qUAobbbmjtc[/url]

Edited by Wanderer

It took 7 weeks to get the prison up and running so Amnesty asks an interesting question: The country that was first to put a human being on the moon apparently cannot find its way to closing a prison its last two presidents have said does the country serious harm. Surely this is not rocket science, so what on earth is the problem?

It is born of the same sort of irrational fear that drives israel to perform its atrocities. A shocking and admittedly terrible event occurs that so dominates the minds of the populace that they cannot bring themselves to look beyond it to the human costs exacted by their drive for a level of security that is not realistic. It is, in essence, the cowardice of the strong, the form of which is a mistrust of others which it does not dominate.

What is needed is not military or economic strength, but moral strength, the moral strength to build peace with mutual respect and not oppression and the fortitude to trust without intimidation.

It is born of the same sort of irrational fear

Yea its really interesting...there is a really good documentary about the politics of fear the bbc made, anyone interested in it should watch it - it is called the power of nightmares:the rise of the politics of fear. Really an eye opening documentary.

Yea its really interesting...there is a really good documentary about the politics of fear the bbc made, anyone interested in it should watch it - it is called the power of nightmares:the rise of the politics of fear. Really an eye opening documentary.

Very nice. I found a wikipedia article on it that has links to the whole series. I thought I would post it for others to see as well:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares[/url]

Military attorneys representing detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, will stop communicating in writing with their clients because the commander of the military detention center has authorized officials to review mail coming from detainees’ lawyers.

The chief military defense counsel for Guantanamo Bay has instructed the military attorneys in his office not to comply with the commander’s order that they sign an agreement allowing material marked attorney-client privilege to be inspected for possible “contraband” information.

Source:you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetwashingtonpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/world/national-security/guantanamo-bay-lawyers-to-halt-written-communication/2012/01/11/gIQAW23yrP_story.html

Another thing...10 years on and I haven't seen any news article this week from the government of any Muslim majority country condemning Guantanamo Bay - its a disgrace.

Hunger strikes in Guantanamo...lets pray for our brothers in faith who are left with nothing but continue to fight with the only way they can. 

• Like 1

Gitmo is a paradox , the prisoners will never be released into the US , and none of their countries wants them either . This is a left-over side effect of 9/11 , in addition to several others . 9/11 changed the world , nothing good will come of it .

This institution is downright outrageous. We can but pray for these victims of unjust persecution and detention.