Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

Prophet Muhammad And Love.

As Salaam Alaykum

I wana use this thread to share the qualities of Muhammad peace be upon him. I wana focus on the quality of love. The meaning of love in this sense not just restricted to the romantic type of love, but the type of love that includes caring for the poor, showing mercy, helping others etc. The more we know about Muhammad, the more we can behave like he did afterall he is our example.

How Muhammad behaved in his life should be an extremely important aspect for us in daily life because by learning about how he treated others can help us in day to day life. Allah commands us in the quran to do righteous deeds and how else do we know what these righteous deeds are other than looking at the righteous deeds of the Prophet.

Please post things that show the love of Prophet Muhammad so that we can all learn to become more like him and so that we can become closer to Allah.

I wana start with the following hadith which can help us do something simple that shows love:

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: You shall not enter Paradise so long as you do not affirm belief (in all those things which are the articles of faith) and you will not believe as long as you do not love one another. Should I not direct you to a thing which, if you do, will foster love amongst you: (i. e.) give currency to (the practice of paying salutation to one another by saying) as-salamu alaikum. (Sahih Muslim Book1, Hadith 96)

It is just so common practice that we say as salamu alaikum that at times we may not realise what we are saying. We should reflect on the words and say it sincerely from the heart!

Edited by Lost_In_Paradise

PropellerAds

Salam

I do Not recall the Hadith related on the prophet Mohammed sallahu Allehi wa sallam in witch meaning : We will not belive till we wish for our brothers what we wish for ourselves

A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Who is more entitled to be treated with the best companionship by me?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man said. "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man further said, "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man asked for the fourth time, "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your father." [bukhari]

Salam

I do Not recall the Hadith related on the prophet Mohammed sallahu Allehi wa sallam in witch meaning : We will not belive till we wish for our brothers what we wish for ourselves

Wa alaikumu salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

The Prophet said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself." [bukhari]

'Aayeshah Radiyallahu 'Anha reports, that:

It was not the nature of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam to talk indecently, nor did he engage himself in the use of obscene language. Nor did he shout and talk in the bazaars (which is against dignity). He did not avenge a bad deed with a bad one, but forgave it, and thereafter did not even mention it

[il Tirmidhi. Chapter 47. No. 5]

Also in the commentary of the hadith a story is shared. Please read on, there is a beneficial lesson to be learnt in this story[using large font size is not allowed].

Prophet Muhammad pbuh had taken a loan of money from zaid bin sanah who was then a jew. They made an agreement and a few days later Zaid saw the prophet:

''Rasulullah was sitting near a well while returning from a funeral with the Sahaabah, among whom were Abubakr, 'Umar, and 'Uthmaan. I came and caught the hem of the kurtah and sheet of Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam and cynically said: 'O Muhammad, you do not want to pay my debt. I swear by Allah, that I know all the children of 'Abdul Muttalib very well. You are very poor payers'. 'Umar looked at me in anger and said: 'O enemy of Allah! what are you mumbling? I swear by Allah, that if I did not fear (the presence of Rasulullah) I would have severed your head'. Rasulullah was looking at me very calmly, and said smilingly to 'Umar: ''Umar, This person and I are in need of something more. He should have told me to take care in fulfilling his rights and should have advised in a better manner when putting forward his claim. Go take him and fulfil his rights, and for having scolded him give him in lieu twenty saa' (approximately two mann approx 66,5 kg) dates extra in excess of his right'. Umar took me and fulfilled my rights and gave me the twenty extra saa'. I asked: 'For what are these twenty extra saa'? ''Umar replied: 'This is the command of Rasulullah'. Zayd Radiyallahu 'Anhu said: ''Umar do you know me? 'Umar replied: No' I said: I am Zayd bin Sa'nah. He asked: 'The Allaamah (great learned) of the Jews? 'I replied: 'I am that very person'. He said: 'Being a man of such calibre, why did you behave before Rasulullah in such a manner?'. I replied: 'Two signs from the signs of prophethood were left, which I was not able to test. The first is the hilm (gentleness) of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam supersedes his anger. The second is that, the more one acts foolishly towards him, the more he will tolerate it. Now I have tested these two also, therefore I make you witness to my acceptance of Islam.''

Things to learn from this:

1. Zaid said to Muhammad he was a poor payer , to which Muhammad did not respond negatively - now this may have been insulting for another person as we can see from the reaction of Umar.

2. Muhammad actually criticised the behaviour of Umar in front of Zaid which showed that Muhammad was consistent in his teachings and did not excuse his close friends from being aware of these teachings. (How many times do we ourselves excuse the behaviour of our friends even though we know it is wrong?)

3. Muhammad was aware of his responsibility and said that Zaid was right to come and remind him. This also shows that Muhammad did not allow pride to overcome him in matters as he was a humble character. (Imagine how would you react if someone you owed money to came and asked you to pay up in front of your close friends.)

4. Muhammad pointed out that Zaid could have said what he did in a better manner - like the hadith said Muhammad did not avenge a bad deed with a bad deed. Muhammad probably knew that by engaging in name calling etc would have made the situation worse so he looked for a better way to solve the situation.

5. Muhammad gave Zaid his rights, ordered Umar to to give Zaid some extra for having talked in bad way.

The lesson: see how the behaviour of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him had influence on Zaid a Jewish man who then decided made to become a Muslim. That is why as Muslims we should be aware of how we behave towards others because we could be influencing their view of Islam.

Abu Huraira reported that al-Aqra' b. Habis saw Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) kissing Hasan. He said: I have ten children, but I have never kissed any one of them, whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said:

He who does not show mercy (towards his children), no mercy would be shown to him.

[using large font size is not allowed]

[sahih Muslim:Book 30: No.5736]

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:

Look at those who stand at a lower level than you but don't look at those who stand at a higher level than you, for this would make the favours (conferred upon you by Allah) insignificant (in your eyes).

[sahih Muslim: Book 42: No.7070]

This hadith reminds me of a video I watched about Lauren Booths reversion to Islam. She had travelled to Gaza before she was a Muslim and it was during the month of Ramadan so the Muslims were fasting. She talked with a Muslim woman and said that she didint understand why God makes the people of Gaza go without food and water for a month when their life is already so hard and do you know what that woman replied to Lauren? The woman said we fast in Gaza to remember the poor. Alhamadulilah can you imagine this? This womans words really influenced Lauren on becoming a Muslim because she spent a month in Gaza and saw the horrible conditions these people lived in yet somehow they managed to have a smile on their face - this is faith. I hope we can all be so thankful for what we have now.

Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet, said, "

Whenever I start the prayer I intend to prolong it, but on hearing the cries of a child, I cut short the prayer because I know that the cries of the child will incite its mother's passions."

(Sahih Bukhari Book11, No.678)

While roaming around in Sahih Bukhari, I found the following beautiful hadiths.

Volume 1, Book 8, Number 345:

Narrated Abu Dhar:

...So the gate was opened and we went over the nearest heaven and there we saw a man sitting with some people on his right and some on his left. When he looked towards his right, he laughed and when he looked toward his left he wept. Then he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' He replied, 'He is Adam and the people on his right and left are the souls of his offspring. Those on his right are the people of Paradise and those on his left are the people of Hell and when he looks towards his right he laughs and when he looks towards his left he weeps.'

I like this one very much; it is a very ancient reference and can be found very early in apocalyptical literature. We should weep for those in hell, not gloat over them for being 'sinners' or 'not like us'.

book 12 I guess, the reference did not copy over!

Narrated 'Uqba:

I offered the 'Asr prayer behind the Prophet at Medina. When he had finished the prayer with Taslim, he got up hurriedly and went out by crossing the rows of the people to one of the dwellings of his wives. The people got scared at his speed . The Prophet came back and found the people surprised at his haste and said to them, "I remembered a piece of gold Lying in my house and I did not like it to divert my attention from Allah's worship, so I have ordered it to be distributed (in charity)."

Selfless giving and a devotion to not being burdened by the love of this world (e.g. money).

Volume 2, Book 23, Number 331:

Narrated Al-Bara' bin 'Azib:

Allah's Apostle ordered us to do seven things and forbade us to do other seven. He ordered us:

to follow the funeral procession. to visit the sick, to accept invitations, to help the oppressed, to fulfill the oaths, to return the greeting and to reply to the sneezer: (saying, "May Allah be merciful on you," provided the sneezer says, "All the praises are for Allah,"). He forbade us to use silver utensils and dishes and to wear golden rings, silk (clothes), Dibaj (pure silk cloth), Qissi and Istabraq (two kinds of silk cloths).

The first ones 'visit sick' and 'help the oppressed' I see obviously as the noble soul in humanity. Not quite sure why wearing silk and using silver and gold is bad. Presumably my golden wedding ring is safe?

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 282:

Narrated Abu Musa:

The Prophet said, "Free the captives, feed the hungry and pay a visit to the sick."

Amen.

Volume 9, Book 93, Number 473:

Narrated Jarir bin 'Abdullah:

Allah's Apostle said, "Allah will not be merciful to those who are not merciful to mankind."

A lesson for us all.

I pray these will inspire us for love of Allaah, which can only be expressed via love for all humanity, independent of religion etc.

Richard

Thanks for sharing those beautiful hadiths with us Richard

The reference about the hadith that mentions the gold is: (Sahih Bukhari Book #22, Hadith #312)

I like this one very much; it is a very ancient reference and can be found very early in apocalyptical literature. We should weep for those in hell, not gloat over them for being 'sinners' or 'not like us'.

Richard

Exactly

Thanks for the hadiths

Narrated Iyad ibn Himar (al-Mujashi'i): The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said:

Allah has revealed to me that you must be humble, so that no one oppresses another and boasts over another.[using large font size is not allowed]

(Sunan Abudawud Book 41, Hadith 4877)

Prophet Muhammad always encouraged people to be humble and avoid arrogance. Afterall how many people like to be around an arrogant person? And remember pride comes from Shaitan.

It Is narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. Mas'ud that the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him), observed:

He who has in his heart the weight of a mustard seed of pride shall not enter Paradise. A person (amongst his hearers) said: Verily a person loves that his dress should be fine, and his shoes should be fine. He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: Verily, Allah is Graceful and He loves Grace. Pride is disdaining the truth (out of self-conceit) and contempt for the people.

(Sahih Muslim: Book 1: No.164)

Narrated Sahl bin Sa'd:

The Prophet said, "I and the person who looks after an orphan and provides for him, will be in Paradise like this," putting his index and middle fingers together.

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 34

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

Allah's Apostle said, "You see the believers as regards their being merciful among themselves and showing love among themselves and being kind, resembling one body, so that, if any part of the body is not well then the whole body shares the sleeplessness (insomnia) and fever with it."

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 40

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbor, and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should entertain his guest generously and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should talk what is good or keep quiet. Volume 8, Book 73, Number 47

Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said:

Avoid envy, for envy devours good deeds just as fire devours fuel or (he said) "grass." [using large font size is not allowed]

(Sunan Abudawud Book 41 No.4885)

This reinforces a previous hadith that we should wish for our brother what we wish for ourselves. Envy of others will only lead to our own destruction

Narrated Anas ibn Malik: A man was with the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and a man passed by him and said: Apostle of Allah! I love this man. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) then asked: Have you informed him? He replied: No. He said: Inform him. He then went to him and said: I love you for Allah's sake. He replied: May He for Whose sake you love me love you!

(Sunan AbuDawud Book #41, Hadith #5106)

550. `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man asked Messenger of Allah (PBUH), "Which act in Islam is the best?'' He (PBUH) replied, "To feed (the poor and the needy) and to greet those whom you know and those you do not know.''

[Riyadh Us Saliheen #550].

Commentary: The provision of food to somebody may signify almsgiving or offering or an act of hospitality. It may also be interpreted as meeting the want of a needy person: If he is hungry, he should be fed; if he lacks clothes, the same should be given to him; if he is sick, medicine should be provided to him; and if he is under debt, he should be helped to pay off his debt, and so on. As for greeting (saying `As-Salamu `alaikum'), it is meant to be popularized because it brings hearts closer to each other and is an antidote to hatred and hostility.

-‘Amr bin Shu’aib Allah be pleased with him on the authority of his father who heard it from his father reported:

Messenger of Allah peace and blessings of Allah be upon him said: “He is not one of us who shows no mercy to younger ones and does not acknowledge the honour due to our elders.” .

”

[ At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]

I post more on Muhammad (God rest his soul) here:

My emotional attachment to Muhammad (God rest his soul)

Richard

I did find another nice hadith about Muhammad (God rest his soul), although I first raised it because of a mistranslation in it leading to a rather curious statement regarding the Quran.

Volume 6, Book 60, Number 362:

Narrated Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As:

This Verse:

'Verily We have sent you (O Muhammad) as a witness, as a bringer of glad tidings and as a warner.' (48.8)

Which is in the Qur'an, appears in the SurahTorah thus: 'Verily We have sent you (O Muhammad) as a witness, as a bringer of glad tidings and as a warner, and as a protector for the illiterates (i.e., the Arabs.) You are my slave and My Apostle, and I have named you Al-Mutawakkil (one who depends upon Allah). You are neither hard-hearted nor of fierce character, nor one who shouts in the markets. You do not return evil for evil, but excuse and forgive. Allah will not take you unto Him till He guides through you a crocked (curved) nation on the right path by causing them to say: "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah." With such a statement He will cause to open blind eyes, deaf ears and hardened hearts.'

Richard

:sl:

Abu Huraira reported it was said to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him): Invoke curse upon the polytheists, whereupon he said:

I have not been sent as the invoker of curse, but I have been sent as mercy."

(Sahih Muslim: Book #032, Hadith #6284)

MashAllah.

“Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” (Tirmidhi)

• Like 1

Narrated Al-Ma'rur: At Ar-Rabadha I met Abu Dhar who was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, "I abused a person by calling his mother [using large font size is not allowed]with bad names." The Prophet said to me, 'O Abu Dhar! Did you abuse him by calling his mother [using large font size is not allowed]with bad names You still have some characteristics of ignorance. Your slaves are your brothers and Allah has put them under your command. So whoever has a brother under his command should feed him of what he eats and dress him of what he wears. Do not ask them (slaves) to do things beyond their capacity (power) and if you do so, then help them.' " [using large font size is not allowed]

(Sahih Bukhari Book (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsearchtruth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/book_display.php?book=2&translator=1&start=0&number=29"]2[/url], Hadith (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsearchtruth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/book_display.php?book=2&translator=1&start=0&number=29#29"]29[/url])[using large font size is not allowed]