Islamic Forum
Wesley

Questions Of Umayyad Geography

I was doing some research into the Battles of Badr, Uhud, and the Trench which led me down some interesting paths. Here are my observations.

The battle of Badr was a campaign led by Abu Sufyan, who was the leader of a caravan from Syria to Mecca. If Abu Sufyan was a Quraishi, why was he the leader of a caravan from Syria, far to the north of Medina?

The battle of Khaibar, which is located to the northwest of Medina,

The battle of Uhud was a campaign led by Abu Sufyan, who organized the forces from Mecca, south of Medina. Uhud is north of Medina. Why would Abu Sufyan attack from the north if he came from the south?

The battle of the Trench was also fought primarily from the north of Medina, although the forces came from the south of Medina. Why?

Abu Sufyan's son, Muawiyah I, was assigned to be the governor of Syria. Later, Muawiyah I, upon becoming Caliph, moved the capital to Damascus. All of this is to the north of Medina, not south.

Why do all influences of the Ummayyad's, who were Quraishi, focus north of Medina?

PropellerAds

The campaign of Badr was led by Abu Jahl from the Quraishi side. The reason why Abu Sufyan (ra) came from the north of Medina is rather simple. He is a Quraishi. He lives in Mecca so when he wants to go to Syria with his caravan for business, he has to go to the north of Medina by default.

The reason why those battles were fought from the north of Medina is because Medinah is protected by mountains from the other sides.

The reason why Muawiayh (ra) moved the capital to Damascus is because that's where he was situated and had his power-base. Ali (ra) also moved the capital to Kufa, which is to the north of Medina as well.