Islamic Forum
missjupiter

Racism Against Black People In Islam

This is quite a sensitive topic and I hope that no one is offended. I would just like some clarity after my black friend said that there were some racist Hadiths. I did research and I was surprised to find that there were some indeed. In theory, Islam supposedly does not support racism, however why do so many hadiths (globally accepted or not) and writings by Islamic scholars seem to be against black people portraying them in a negative light? I would suppose that such attitudes are the root of racism towards black people in the Arab world today, as well as centuries of slavery. Please correct what is right and what is wrong as I got this information from ask

Thank you.

Dr. Azumah in his book: The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa provides several examples of Islam’s hatred of Blacks. There is the example in the hadith in which an Ethiopian woman laments her racial inferiority to Muhammad, who consoles her by saying, "In Paradise, the whiteness of the Ethiopian will be seen over the stretch of a thousand years."

Another hadith quotes Muhammad thus: "Do not bring black into your pedigree."

In fact, the Arabic word for slave, “Abd,†became equated with Africans and Blacks with the advent of Islam.

Classical Islamic law allows a light-skinned Muslim man to marry a black woman, but a black Muslim man is restricted from marrying a light-skinned woman. As the literature of the time put it, "only a whore prefers blacks; the good woman will welcome death rather than being touched by a black man."

up until the 20th century, Mecca served as the gateway to the Muslim world for slaves brought out of Africa. "It became a custom for pilgrims to take slaves for sale in Mecca or buy one or two slaves while on Haj as souvenirs to be kept, sold or given as gifts."

Muslim Arab and Persian literature depicts Blacks as "stupid, untruthful, vicious, sexually unbridled, ugly and distorted, excessively merry and easily affected by music and drink.â€

Nasir al-Din Tusi, a famous Muslim scholar said of Blacks: "The ape is more capable of being trained than the *****.â€

Ibn Khaldun, an early Muslim thinker, writes that Blacks are "only humans who are closer to dumb animals than to rational beings."

Ibn Sina (Avicenna 980–1037), Arab’s most famous and influential philosopher/scientist in Islam, described Blacks as “people who are by their very nature slaves.†He wrote: “All African women are prostitutes, and the whole race of African men are abeed (slave) stock.†He equated Black people with “rats plaguing the earth.â€

Ibn Khaldum, an Arab historian stated that “Blacks are characterized by levity and excitability and great emotionalism,†adding that “they are every where described as stupid.â€

al-Dimashqi, an Arab pseudo scientist wrote, “the Equator is inhabited by communities of blacks who may be numbered among the savage beasts. Their complexion and hair are burnt and they are physically and morally abnormal. Their brains almost boil from the sun’s heat…..â€

Ibn al-Faqih al-Hamadhani painted this no less horrid picture of black people, “…..the zanj (the blacks) are overdone until they are burned, so that the child comes out between black, murky, malodorous, stinking, and crinkly-haired, with uneven limbs, deficient minds, and depraved passions…..â€

Arabs are the most noble people in lineage, the most prominent, and the best in deeds. Al-Tabari, Vol. 9, p. 69

when A'isha (Muhammad's wife) had a maid-slave who was an Arab, Muhammad said to A'isha, `Set this maid free because she is from the children of Ishmael.'" Ibn Timiyya, Vol. 31, pp. 376-377

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Apostle said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

Sahih Bukhari 9:89:256

Shem, the son of Noah was the father of the Arabs, the Persians, and the Greeks; Ham was the father of the Black Africans; and Japheth was the father of the Turks and of Gog and Magog who were cousins of the Turks. Noah prayed that the prophets and apostles would be descended from Shem and kings would be from Japheth. He prayed that the African’s color would change so that their descendants would be slaves to the Arabs and Turks. Al-Tabari, Vol. 2, p. 11, p. 11

"I have heard the Apostle say: 'Whoever wants to see Satan should look at Nabtal.' He was a sturdy black man with long flowing hair, Ishaq:243

It is your folly to fight the Apostle, for Allah’s army is bound to disgrace you. We brought them to the pit. Hell was their meeting place. We collected them there, black slaves, men of no descent. Ishaq:450

The black troops and slaves of the Meccans cried out and the Muslims replied, ‘Allah destroy your sight, you impious rascals.’

Ishaq:374

Ahmad ibn Abi Sulayman, the companion of Sahnun said, “Anyone who says that the Prophet was black should be killed.

Ibn Musa al-Yahsubi, Qadi ‘Iyad, p.375

Narrated 'Abdullah: The Prophet said, "I saw (in a dream) a black woman with unkempt hair going out of Medina and settling at Mahai'a, i.e., Al-Juhfa. I interpreted that as a symbol of epidemic of Medina being transferred to that place (Al-Juhfa)."

Sahih Bukhari 9:87:161

"Therefore, the Negro nation are, as a rule, submissive to slavery, because [Negroes] have little [that is essentially] human and have attributes that are quite similar to those of dumb animals, as we have stated."[3]

Ibn Khaldun, Muqaddimah, 14th century

"beyond [known peoples of black West Africa] to the south there is no civilization in the proper sense. There are only humans who are closer to dumb animals than to rational beings. They live in thickets and caves, and eat herbs and unprepared grain. They frequently eat each other. They cannot be considered human beings."[3]

Ibn Khaldun, Muqaddimah

"If (all types of men) are taken, from the first, and one placed after another, like the Negro from Zanzibar, in the Southern-most countries, the Negro does not differ from an animal in anything except the fact that his hands have been lifted from the earth -in no other peculiarity or property - except for what God wished. Many have seen that the ape is more capable of being trained than the Negro, and more intelligent."[3] Grand Ayatollah Nasir al-Din al-Tusi, Tasawwurat (Rawdat al-taslim):

"Galen says that merriment dominates the black man because of his defective brain, whence also the weakness of his intelligence."[3]

Al-Masudi, Muruj al-dhahab

"Like the crow among mankind are the Zanj [African Blacks] for they are the worst of men and the most vicious of creatures in character and temperament."[3]

Jahiz, Kitab al-Hayawan, vol. 2

PropellerAds

Well I can tell what I know. The Prophet (pbuh) said on his Farewall Pilgrimage in front of 100 000 people that a white person is not superior to a black person nor an Arab to a non-Arab. Furthermore, the Prophet (pbuh) had close Companions (ra) who were black. The most famous is Bilal (ra) who called the Adhan (call for prayer). The other two are Barakah (ra). She was a black slave of the Prophet's (pbuh) mother. The Prophet's (pbuh) mother died when he was young so Barakah (ra) used to look at after him. That's why he called for, "Mother". The Prophet (pbuh) had set her free long before he became a Prophet. Furthermore, she had a son, Usamah (ra). The Prophet (pbuh) used to hold Usamah (ra) and al-Hasan (ra), the Prophet's (pbuh) grandson, on his lap and supplicate to God for them, saying that he loved them both. Moreover, Prophet (pbuh) ordered Usamah (ra) to lead an army against the Byzantines. Thus one of the first Abu Bakr (ra), the successor of the Prophet (pbuh), did as a leader was to send Usamah (ra) as the head of the army. Once a man came to the Prophet (pbuh) complaining that his wife had given birth to a black child and accused her of adultery because neither he nor his wife were black. Furthermore, he had disavowed the child. The Prophet (pbuh) forbade him to disavow the child. In addition, the Prophet (pbuh) had sent his followers to Abbyssinia when the Muslims were persecuted in Makkah, telling that they had a good king.

As for the rest, there is no really no need to go in to all of that, but I will address a few points. For example, the article attributes the following to the Prophet (pbuh): "In Paradise, the whiteness of the Ethiopian will be seen over the stretch of a thousand years.", "Do not bring black into your pedigree." The first thing that comes to mind is why is there no source given for these. This cannot be addressed without knowing the source. Also, one thing to take into consideration is that articles like these will try to pass off some things as hadiths although there exists no such hadith because they know the audience is not really intrested in checking things. This hadith was quoted without giving a reference while the rest were quoted with references. I wonder why. In fact, one of the the hadiths, the one about not bringing blacks into your pedigree, goes against the advice of the Prophet (pbuh). He said that whoever wants to marry an inhabitant of Paradise should marry Barakah (ra).

Marrying a black man is not disallowed according to classical Islamic thought.

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Apostle said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

This hadith is not racist. Actually it is the opposite. quite disingenious.

Another thing to take into account is that authors, such as at-Tabari collected every single hadith, they heard. Everything. So, he collected a hadith even if he knew it was false or fabricated because he decided he would collect absolute everything.

As for other authors, well, for example, Avicenna doesn't represent Islam. Some of his views go against Islam. For example, his notion of God is based on Greek philosophy and it goes against the Islamic view. If he thought that blacks were inferior, he would have gone against the Islamic scholarship.

A lot more could be, starting from the beggining. For example, "In fact, the Arabic word for slave, “Abd,” became equated with Africans and Blacks with the advent of Islam." The Prophhet (pbuh) forbade to use the word "abd" in reference to a slave. However, I don't think that the author would be interested in such minor details because it is quite obvious from the beggining of that article that he wanted to build a case where racism has been a part of Islam since its founding by the Prophet (pbuh).

Thank you for your response. I still think it is sad though that negative attitudes against black people reflected in the hadiths and the writings of the scholars. My friend discussed with me the Arab/Muslim slave trade, and it is sad that there was a racial bias. If he forbade the word "abd", what is the correct word for a slave? Is this true?

Ahmad ibn Abi Sulayman, the companion of Sahnun said, “Anyone who says that the Prophet was black should be killed.

Perhaps in your view the comment about an Ethiopian ruler was not racist, however some feel that it highlights or promotes prevelant thoughts at the time of black inferiority and mocks African features.

Edited by missjupiter

Muhammad never taught us to be racist.

Firstly in the quran, Allah tells us that the best of us are those who are the most righteous:

"O Mankind, we created you from a single pair of a male and a female, and made you in to tribes and nations so that you may know each other (not that you despise each other). Verily, the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is he who is most righteous of you." (Al-Quran, Chapter 49, Verse 13)

Narrated Abu Huraira: A black man or a black woman used to sweep the Masjid and he or she died. The Prophet asked about her (or him). He was told that she (or he) had died. He said, "Why did you not inform me? Show me his grave (or her grave)." So he went to her (his) grave and offered her (his) funeral prayer." (Bukhari Book8, Hadith 448)

Even in Muhammad's last sermon he said no white is superior to a black and vice versa. Muhammads wife Sauda bint Zama was from Abysinnia (todays ethiopia) which shows it is ok to marry someone from a different race. Millions of Muslims today are black people.

The following lecture by Dr Bilal Phillips is really good

Also this

Thank you for your response. I still think it is sad though that negative attitudes against black people reflected in the hadiths and the writings of the scholars.

If you put things into perspective, it is not really sad. First of all, hadiths come in all sorts of categories. There are those which are fully authentic, good ones, acceptable ones, weak ones, fabricated ones. There are hadiths which reflect badly on the Prophet (pbuh) himself even and they are rejected by the Muslims. And by reflecting badly, I don't mean hadiths which non-Muslims consider to reflect badly on the Prophet (pbuh) because there certainly are hadiths which the non-Muslims don't accept but Muslims affirm.

Another thing to take into consideration is that there are thousands of scholars! If blacks were hated in Islam, you would find a consensus on this matter. Quoting a mere few does not really mean anything if you want to look at the big picture. I think you said in the beggining that there a many scholars who says. Well, if you look at the big picture, there really is not that many. If there were only 10 scholars or 20, that might be the case. But when there are thousands, then there really is no case. Furthermore, this goes against the consensus of the scholars which is, as the Prophet (pbuh) stated on his Farewell pilgrimage in front of thousands of witnesses, that a white person doesn't have superiority over a black one nor an Arab over a non-Arab. This hadith of the Prophet (pbuh) which he said on the Farewell Pilgrimage has been mass-narrated and it is agreed upon by consensus.

Having a couple of dissenting voices makes no difference at all. One thing to take into consideration is that even these people didn't say, "Well, the Prophet (pbuh) said it, too". The reason is because there are no authentic narrations concerning that. However, what we do know for a fact is whom the Prophet (pbuh) was close to. He made a black person the first caller to prayer, which is a great position in Islam. He called a black person "Mother". He appointed a black person, young one at that, as the head of an army.

My friend discussed with me the Arab/Muslim slave trade, and it is sad that there was a racial bias. If he forbade the word "abd", what is the correct word for a slave? Is this true?

The correct word would be "boy" instead of "slave". Is what true?

First of all, we don't know what is the context of that quote, nor do we know the discussion around that quote. Secondly, it is agreed upon that the Prophet (pbuh) was white in complexion, so this might be simply a case of saying that somebody should be killed for lying about the Prophet's (pbuh) features, not that it has anything to do with being black. I don't think it would be any different than saying that the Prophet (pbuh) looked Chinese because that would be an outrageous lie. Not that looking Chinese is bad. If you are Chinese, please don't get offended. This arguement goes for almost every other race. In the same vein, I feel it would be outrageous if somebody said that Bilal (ra) was in fact white or was not actually black.

Perhaps in your view the comment about an Ethiopian ruler was not racist, however some feel that it highlights or promotes prevelant thoughts at the time of black inferiority and mocks African features.

The hadith says if you're leader is black, you should follow him. I don't see anything about promoting black inferiority. If a black person is your leader, surely he can't be inferior. As for African features, I don't see anything in the hadith that mocks African features. It doesn't say that blacks are raisin heads or something. What it says that you should obey your leader no matter race he is, no matter what he looks like and no matter what background he is from, i.e. a slave. If the hadith truly was racist, it would say, "Don't obey your ruler if he is an Ethiopian" or something to that effect. I think a lot of people are oversensitive or just grasping at straws.

Muhammads wife Sauda bint Zama was from Abysinnia (todays ethiopia) which shows it is ok to marry someone from a different race.

As-salamu alaikum

What is the source for that? The reason why I am asking is because a book that I have with me says that she was from Quraish. Another book that I have says that she was dark. However, that in itself does not mean that she was from Abbysinnia.

As-salamu alaikum

What is the source for that? The reason why I am asking is because a book that I have with me says that she was from Quraish. Another book that I have says that she was dark. However, that in itself does not mean that she was from Abbysinnia.

wa alykom alsalam brothers

what i know, yes our mother Soudah bint Zamaa is Arab woman from Quraish. while she immegrated to Abbysinnia with here husband along with many Moslems, by the permission of Allah to avoid Quraish persecution. she returned alone, after her husband death . now the prophet (pbuh) married here to provide her protection and love, since she have no safe place in Quraish.

while by the way there were and still many dark colored (nearly black) Arab tribes in the Arabian penensula,

Bilal ben Rabah (may Allah be pleased with him), the former black slave, was very welcommed to marry the most honored beautiful, nearly white, free Arab rich lady from quraish. she was also the sister of one of the most honered rich successeful merchants in Arabia, the great companion Abd_Alrahman bin Awff.

the plain reality, Islam melted down the differences between races.

Allah tells in the Quran, why he, Almighty differentiate our races, although of the same parents,

049.013 Y: O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

the prophet tells "Allah don't look to your figures and forms (beuty, color, strength,..) but he, almighty looks at your hearts"

Allah knows best,

As-salamu alaikum

Wa alaikum as salaam

jazakallah khayrun , my mistake I read my source wrong - she went to Abysinnia later on in life, I mistakenly understood - thanks for pointing this out

(can you edit my previous post to remove this mistake)

Edited by Lost_In_Paradise

None of the Abrahamic religions promoted or condoned racism. You can not find it in any of the Scriptures that are God's Word. Unfortunately human tradition didn't always follow that guidance. To disunite based on nationality, skin color, ethnicity, gender, or even religion is ridiculous.

It is good that Islam in the overall history is, even in the traditions, devoid of racism.

Good job copying and pasting bigotted stuff, especially when you lied about doing any self research.

Just for the sake of it, i'll expose your mistakes.

And for the record, you never proved or showed anywhere how the Prophet(pbuh) or Islam is racist, nor did you prove any racism in Early periods of Islam. You only pasted a text which quote mines a few scholars (most of them known for holding deviant views/others misrepresented) throughout a 14 century history in which there have been thousands of scholars.

Before I begin to refute this thread, let me break it down for you in regards to what "racism" there is in Islam.

---------------

Musa(pbuh) was considered dark sinned.

---------------

Sulayman (pbuh) was black

--------------

One of the Prophet (pbuh)'s closest companian, Bilal(ra) was a black slave, who was freed by Muhammad(pbuh). Today, he is an inspiration to every Muslim, he was the first man say the Azaan (call to pray), which is heard 5 times a day till this very moment. He was also one of 2 people, who first entered the Ka'ba with the Prophet(pbuh).

Maulana Muhammad Taqi Usmani - Ma'ariful Quran - Volume 8 - Pages 143-144:

Circumstances of Revelation

This verse was revealed on the occasion of the conquest of Makkah. When it was time for prayer, the Holy Prophet asked Sayyidna Bilal to call the adhan. One of the pagan Quraish cynically remarked: "Thank God that my father died before this happened, and he did not have to see this bad day. Harith Ibn Hisham remarked: Could Muhammad not find anyone better than this black crow to sound the adhan in the Sacred Masjid! "

The immediate application of the verse was to Sayyidna Bilal, and therefore the Holy Prophet said to those people: "You are empty (i.e. you have no moral leg to stand on.) Sayyidna Bilal, on the other hand, is equipped (with high moral qualities); and he is better and more honourable than any of you." [baghawi, as cited in Mazhari].

Non Muslim academics state -

, himself a black man and former slave, wrote in 1874:
The eloquent Adzan or Call to Prayer, which to this day summons at the same hours millions of the human race to their devotions, was first uttered by a Negro, Bilal by name, whom Mohammed, in obedience to a dream, appointed the first Muezzin or Crier. And it has been remarked that even
is in Asia an unknown personage by the side of this honoured Negro.

-------------

The Prophet(pbuh)'s adopted son in law, was black. His name was Zayd ibn Haritha(ra).

------------

His nanny, who he considered as his own mother, was black.

Barakah Umm Ayman (Radhiyallahu Anhu), the Prophets nanny from birth and the woman he desribed as ''the mother after my own mother''. She was there for the Prophet when his mother and grandfather died, raising him and being a key influence on his life and character from age 8. She tended to the wounded soldiers at the Battle of Uhud and after trekking from Makkah to Medinah to be with the Prophet (saw) he said to her "Ya Umm Ayman! Ya Ummi! (O Umm Ayman! O my mother!) Indeed for you is a place in Paradise!". This, black woman is one of the most beloved people of the Prophet (saw) and one of the most respected people to Muslims.

-------------

The Prophet(pbuh) was married to a black woman, the ethiopian Ramla Ommu Habiba. She was one of the Prophets most faithful wives, going on to write Bukhari and Muslim authenticated ahadith relating to marriage.

--------------

-------------

Prophets statement regarding Najashi (black man), the Abyssinian King, upon whose death the Prophet said:

- Today a righteous leader has died.

and

- A brother of yours has died

'Imran b. Husain reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A brother of yours has died; so stand up and offer prayer for him, i.e. Negus. And in the Hadith transmitted by Zubair (the words are): "Your brother."

------------

Hadiths -

"The Prophet (saws) once reprimanded Abu Dharr for derisively calling Bilal, 'son of a black woman', then he went on to say, "Look! Surely you are not better than a brown man nor a black man except by fearing Allah more than them." (Declared Sahih By Sheikh Albani - Source, here and Source, here and here).

"Narrated Uqbah Bin Aamir: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: These lineages of yours do not make you superior to anyone. You are all sons of Adam. No one has superiority over another except in piety and consciousness. It is sufficient shame for one to be foul, evil, or stingy." (Declared Hasan By Sheikh Arna'oot In Musnad Ahmad, #17351 - Source & #17482 Source, & Sheikh Arna'oot's Tahqeeq - Footnote 3 Of #17313 - Source. Also Declared Sahih By Sheikh Albani In: Sahih At-Targhib, #2962 - Source And Declared Sahih In Silsila As-Sahiha - Volume 3, #1038 - Source. Also Found In: At-Tabarani's Mujam Al-Kabir, #14252 - Source).

"Narrated by Abu Dharr Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him, "You are not better than people with red or black skins unless you excel them in piety." (Musnad Ahmad - Classed As Weak But Strengthened By Witnesses - Source. Classed Sahih By Shiekh Arna'oot, Number 23536 - Source. Also In Bayhaqi (slight difference in wording) - Declared Sahih By Albani - Source).

------------

Hadith -

“Abu Dharr, the leader of the tribe of Ghifar, and one who accepted Islam in its early days, narrates:

Once I was conversing with Bilal. Our conversation gave way to a dispute. Angry with him, the following insult burst from my mouth: ‘You cannot comprehend this, O son of a black woman!’

As Islam expressly forbade all kinds of racial, tribal and color discrimination, Bilal was both upset and greatly angered.

Some time later, a man came and told me that the Messenger of God, upon him be peace and blessings, summoned me. I went to him immediately. He said to me:

‘I have been informed that you addressed Bilal as the son of a black woman.’

I was deeply ashamed and could say nothing. God’s Messenger continued his reprimand: ‘This means you still retain the standards and judgements of the pre-Islamic days of ignorance. Islam has eradicated all those false standards or measures judging people by blood, fame, color or wealth. It has established that the best and most honorable of men is he who is the most pious and upright in conduct. Is it right to defame a believer just because he is black?’

Abu Dharr felt profound remorse. He went straight to Bilal’s house and, putting his head on the threshold, said: ‘This head will not rise from here until the blessed feet of Bilal tread on the face of foolish, impolite Abu Dharr.’

Bilal responded: ‘That face deserves to be kissed, not trodden upon,’ and forgave Abu Dharr.â€

-------

Quran/sermon -

"O Mankind, We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily
the most honored amoung you in the sight of Allah is he who is the most righteous amoung you
"
(Al-Hujurat 49:13)

"

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab;
also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action[using large font size is not allowed]
". -
Prophets farewell sermon in Ninth Day of Dhul-Hijjah, 10 A.H. (632 CE)

--------------------

Hadiths -

This black man is our leader (Year 634)

When the Muslims conquered Egypt at the time when Omar ibn al Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) was Khalifa, a Muslim leader who happened to be a black man named Ubaydah ibn Thamit, took a party of the Muslims to meet Muqawqis, the Christian leader of Egypt.

When the Muslims came to Muqawqis, with Ubaydah in the lead, Muqawqis was frightened by the color of his skin.

‘Get this black man away from me and bring someone else,' he demanded. The Muslims refused. They insisted that Ubaydah was the best among them and was their leader who they obeyed and whose judgment they deferred to. They told Muqawqis that the color of a person does not matter to them. Finally Muqawqis had no choice but talk to the leader of that Muslim delegation.

These Muslims were practicing an Islamic principle that individual character is the base of preference not color of skin.

-------------------------

A whole Quran chapter was revealed on Luqman(pbuh) who was black.

-------------------------

There's alot more, but the above should be enough to prove Islam is colorblind.[using large font size is not allowed]

Now to refute -

Dr. Azumah in his book: The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa provides several examples of Islam’s hatred of Blacks. There is the example in the hadith in which an Ethiopian woman laments her racial inferiority to Muhammad, who consoles her by saying, "In Paradise, the whiteness of the Ethiopian will be seen over the stretch of a thousand years."

Please post the hadith, because I'll be honest with you; I already have a feeling your going by hadiths which have are fabricated/weak.

Dr. Azumah also is clueless, who quoted fabricated hadiths.

Asalaamu Alaikum/Peace,

Another hadith quotes Muhammad thus: "Do not bring black into your pedigree."

Again, quote the hadith source. If you're a Muslim, then i'd be disappointed you're accepting narrations without source. But maybe you're not.

In fact, the Arabic word for slave, “Abd,†became equated with Africans and Blacks with the advent of Islam.

This is what "abd" means -

Question:

What does the word 'Abd' mean?

Answer:

The word 'Abd' means the subdued or subjugated. This meaning encompasses all the types of creation, higher and lower, rational and reasonless, animate and inanimate, dynamic and static, apparent and hidden, believing and disbelieving, and pious and sinning etc.. All of them are the creation of Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic. They are subjected to Him, controlled and managed by Him alone. All of them have a limit and destination and each one runs (its course) for an appointed term and does not exceed that term by an atoms worth,

“Such is the judgment of the Mighty, the all-Knowing†(YaaSeen: 38)

And if the intended sense is the worshipper, the one who loves Allaah, the one who is humble, then it refers only to the believing men and women who are Allaah's honourable slaves and those who are close to Him, who fear Him and have piety, they the ones who shall not fear, nor shall they grieve.

al-Haafidh al-Hakamee

A‘laam As-Sunnah Al-Manshoorah li I’tiqaad At-Taaifah An-Naajiyah Al-Mansoorah

Translated by Abul-Irbaad Abid Zargar

It's a word Muslims should be proud to call themselves. Now, if down the line someone used the word with a meaning that does not belong to it, then that is certainly not the fault of Islam or the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), who himself was a "Abd".

Classical Islamic law allows a light-skinned Muslim man to marry a black woman, but a black Muslim man is restricted from marrying a light-skinned woman. As the literature of the time put it, "only a whore prefers blacks; the good woman will welcome death rather than being touched by a black man."

Again, provide the source.

I don't know what "Classical Islam" you're talking about, but in the Islam that the Prophet(pbuh) gave and the early Islam with that, this is what happened -

A narration -

“Abu Dharr, the leader of the tribe of Ghifar, and one who accepted Islam in its early days, narrates:

Once I was conversing with Bilal. Our conversation gave way to a dispute. Angry with him, the following insult burst from my mouth: ‘You cannot comprehend this, O son of a black woman!’

As Islam expressly forbade all kinds of racial, tribal and color discrimination, Bilal was both upset and greatly angered.

Some time later, a man came and told me that the Messenger of God, upon him be peace and blessings, summoned me. I went to him immediately. He said to me:

‘I have been informed that you addressed Bilal as the son of a black woman.’

I was deeply ashamed and could say nothing. God’s Messenger continued his reprimand: ‘This means you still retain the standards and judgements of the pre-Islamic days of ignorance. Islam has eradicated all those false standards or measures judging people by blood, fame, color or wealth. It has established that the best and most honorable of men is he who is the most pious and upright in conduct. Is it right to defame a believer just because he is black?’

Abu Dharr felt profound remorse. He went straight to Bilal’s house and, putting his head on the threshold, said: ‘This head will not rise from here until the blessed feet of Bilal tread on the face of foolish, impolite Abu Dharr.’

Bilal responded: ‘That face deserves to be kissed, not trodden upon,’ and forgave Abu Dharr.â€

And another -

This black man is our leader (Year 634)

When the Muslims conquered Egypt at the time when Omar ibn al Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) was Khalifa, a Muslim leader who happened to be a black man named Ubaydah ibn Thamit, took a party of the Muslims to meet Muqawqis, the Christian leader of Egypt.

When the Muslims came to Muqawqis, with Ubaydah in the lead, Muqawqis was frightened by the color of his skin.

‘Get this black man away from me and bring someone else,' he demanded. The Muslims refused. They insisted that Ubaydah was the best among them and was their leader who they obeyed and whose judgment they deferred to. They told Muqawqis that the color of a person does not matter to them. Finally Muqawqis had no choice but talk to the leader of that Muslim delegation.

These Muslims were practicing an Islamic principle that individual character is the base of preference not color of skin.

up until the 20th century, Mecca served as the gateway to the Muslim world for slaves brought out of Africa. "It became a custom for pilgrims to take slaves for sale in Mecca or buy one or two slaves while on Haj as souvenirs to be kept, sold or given as gifts."

What has this got to do with Racism?

Muslim Arab and Persian literature depicts Blacks as "stupid, untruthful, vicious, sexually unbridled, ugly and distorted, excessively merry and easily affected by music and drink.â€

Well worded, glad you didn't say Islamic Arabs and Persian Arabs (and glad you didn't say these texts are from Early Islam, as that would be inaccurate), since that would imply a religious influence. That's why today there are Muslim Terrorists, Christian Terrorists, Atheist Terrorists, Racist Jews, Racist White people etc.

Nasir al-Din Tusi, a famous Muslim scholar said of Blacks: "The ape is more capable of being trained than the *****.â€

Congratulations on quoting a Shia scholar, who at the time would've made less than 1% of Muslims.

Ibn Khaldun, an early Muslim thinker, writes that Blacks are "only humans who are closer to dumb animals than to rational beings."

Ibn Khaldun has been cited as a racist, but his theories on the rise and fall of empires had no racial component, and this reading of his work has been claimed to be the result of mistranslations.[16]

Ibn Sina (Avicenna 980–1037), Arab’s most famous and influential philosopher/scientist in Islam, described Blacks as “people who are by their very nature slaves.†He wrote: “All African women are prostitutes, and the whole race of African men are abeed (slave) stock.†He equated Black people with “rats plaguing the earth.â€

Post your source + this doesn't prove Islam/Muhammad(pbuh) is racist + Ibn Sina was known to have deviant views, and was not a Scholar of Islam, he is respected for his scientific works, not religious.

al-Dimashqi, an Arab pseudo scientist wrote, “the Equator is inhabited by communities of blacks who may be numbered among the savage beasts. Their complexion and hair are burnt and they are physically and morally abnormal. Their brains almost boil from the sun’s heat…..â€

This guy doesn't even come up on Google search lol., nor have I heard of him Again, post his proper name and primary source of where he said that.

Ibn al-Faqih al-Hamadhani painted this no less horrid picture of black people, “…..the zanj (the blacks) are overdone until they are burned, so that the child comes out between black, murky, malodorous, stinking, and crinkly-haired, with uneven limbs, deficient minds, and depraved passions…..â€

Another no namer (this is like quoting the guy down the street), this guy was not a scholar of Islam, in fact it doesn't even show him to be a Muslim, just a persian.

Arabs are the most noble people in lineage, the most prominent, and the best in deeds. Al-Tabari, Vol. 9, p. 69

The Prophet(pbuh) never said this, so two things happened here;

1. The quote doesn't exist and if you try to google it, you will find only anti-Islam sites have this quote, no one else.

2. It was the view of Tabari, which would completly kill the point, since Muslims don't find the views of Tabari authentic, and most of the hadiths he narrates are fabricated. He's even been called a liar by some of the great scholars in Islam.

So what you've done here is, used the weakest source possible, of a man who's (own opinion) has no real significance to Islamic teachings to prove a non-existent point.

when A'isha (Muhammad's wife) had a maid-slave who was an Arab, Muhammad said to A'isha, `Set this maid free because she is from the children of Ishmael.'" Ibn Timiyya, Vol. 31, pp. 376-377

I cannot find this hadith or quote, please post the source.

The word "black" is not even used in this hadith

And this doesn't prove "racism". The wording "even if he is an Ethiopian slave whose head looks like a raisin" is used for emphasis, and is not a general description regarding all black people. Nor is it a phrase used to degrade all black people. The way emphasis is placed is dependant on how specific cultures and societies view things. The Arabs in the period of the Jahiliyya looked down upon other non-arabs.

Shem, the son of Noah was the father of the Arabs, the Persians, and the Greeks; Ham was the father of the Black Africans; and Japheth was the father of the Turks and of Gog and Magog who were cousins of the Turks. Noah prayed that the prophets and apostles would be descended from Shem and kings would be from Japheth. He prayed that the African’s color would change so that their descendants would be slaves to the Arabs and Turks. Al-Tabari, Vol. 2, p. 11, p. 11

"I have heard the Apostle say: 'Whoever wants to see Satan should look at Nabtal.' He was a sturdy black man with long flowing hair, Ishaq:243

It is your folly to fight the Apostle, for Allah’s army is bound to disgrace you. We brought them to the pit. Hell was their meeting place. We collected them there, black slaves, men of no descent. Ishaq:450

The black troops and slaves of the Meccans cried out and the Muslims replied, ‘Allah destroy your sight, you impious rascals.’

Ishaq:374

Fabricated, + none of Ishaq's quotes are considered authentic. For Tabari, only a set few are based on the chain of narration, which doesn't exist for the above quotes.

Doesn't prove racism. It would be a lie to say the Prophet(pbuh) was black, it's something the NOI do today even though the hadiths describing him say the opposite.

Ibn Musa al-Yahsubi probably got fed up of people using "race supremecy ideology" to try and paint the Prophet(pbuh) different colors (of race).

Narrated 'Abdullah: The Prophet said, "I saw (in a dream) a black woman with unkempt hair going out of Medina and settling at Mahai'a, i.e., Al-Juhfa. I interpreted that as a symbol of epidemic of Medina being transferred to that place (Al-Juhfa)."

Sahih Bukhari 9:87:161

Remind me how this is racist? All he's doing is describing a dream, would it have made a difference if it was a white person???

Good job copying and pasting bigotted stuff, especially when you lied about doing any self research.

Just for the sake of it, i'll expose your mistakes.

Before I begin to refute this thread, let me break it down for you in regards to what "racism" there is in Islam.

Perseveranze, you post good material. Don't front it with egotistical and self-promoting remarks. Boasting isn't a good thing. Present the facts without the pomp. It is distracting and takes away from any credibility you may actually have.

Personally, I tend to avoid reading anything who starts off with such remarks.

None of the Abrahamic religions promoted or condoned racism. You can not find it in any of the Scriptures that are God's Word. Unfortunately human tradition didn't always follow that guidance. To disunite based on nationality, skin color, ethnicity, gender, or even religion is ridiculous.

It is good that Islam in the overall history is, even in the traditions, devoid of racism.

Hope the above has changed your mind. Regarding your last statement, many would agree with you, there was never a case of persecution or injustice against anyone in Islamic history on the account of race. Even slaves in Muslim countries were of all races, and "blacks weren't banned from restuarants and nor were they pushed from curbs" like in the european slave trade.

"The extinction of race consciousness as between Muslims is one of the outstanding achievements of Islam and in the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue." - Arnold J. Toynbee[using large font size is not allowed]

Hope the above has changed your mind.

Changed my mind about?

First of all, we don't know what is the context of that quote, nor do we know the discussion around that quote. Secondly, it is agreed upon that the Prophet (pbuh) was white in complexion, so this might be simply a case of saying that somebody should be killed for lying about the Prophet's (pbuh) features, not that it has anything to do with being black. I don't think it would be any different than saying that the Prophet (pbuh) looked Chinese because that would be an outrageous lie. Not that looking Chinese is bad. If you are Chinese, please don't get offended. This arguement goes for almost every other race. In the same vein, I feel it would be outrageous if somebody said that Bilal (ra) was in fact white or was not actually black.

I still find it disturbing. To me it seems as if there is some stigma or shame attached to being black that one would be killed for saying such a thing. And death as punishment seems to harsh. People who don't believe in race would not go to such lengths.

Thank you for your explanations.

Hope the above has changed your mind. Regarding your last statement, many would agree with you, there was never a case of persecution or injustice against anyone in Islamic history on the account of race. Even slaves in Muslim countries were of all races, and "blacks weren't banned from restuarants and nor were they pushed from curbs" like in the european slave trade.

Why were the majority of slaves traded by the Arab/Muslim traders of black African origin for more than one thousand years? Slavery was reluctantly abolished by Muslim countries like KSA due to western pressure in the past 50 - 60 years. The majority of Black male slaves were castrated, while many of the female slaves were used as domestic slaves and sex slaves - meaning that they faced rape.

Racism can manifest itself as segregation as in the U.S., and in other ways as well. Have a look:

In Lebanon in June 2010, Lebanese Internal Security Forces crashed a Sudanese cancer fundraiser in Beirut. During the incident, the Lebanese Arabs called the Sudanese Arabs "animals" and "niggers", while physically hitting them with batons. They used extreme physical force and violence against the Sudanese and also used racial epithets.

Dark-skinned Egyptian President Anwar Sadat faced insults of not looking "Egyptian enough" and "Nasser's black poodle."[13] An Egyptian Nubian soccer player Mahmoud Abdel Razek stopped playing football due to racist slurs by rival Egyptian fans during a game.

Abid (Arabic: ÚÈÃý, plural Abeed ÚÈíà or El Abeed ÇáÚÈíÃ) is a derogatory term meaning "slave" used mainly in Arab countries and is usually applied as an insult to Black people to invoke stereotypes.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_aconvertslife.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2011/03/racism-is-alive-and-well-in-damascus.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_aconvertslife.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2011/03/...n-damascus.html[/url]

Akhdam - the Black people of Yemen.

They are known as “Al Akhdam†— the servants. Set apart by their African features, they form a kind of hereditary caste at the very bottom of Yemen’s social ladder. also called Al-Muhamasheen, "the marginalized ones.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Al-Akhdam"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Al-Akhdam[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/slideshow/2008/02/26/world/20080226YEMEN_index.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnytimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/slideshow/2008/02/2...EMEN_index.html[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetordoesitexplode(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/me/2005/11/minority_report.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetordoesitexplode(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/me/2005/11/...ity_report.html[/url]

Black Iraqis

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnpr(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96977550"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnpr(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/templates/story/story.p...toryId=96977550[/url]

Black Egyptians

Lebanese singer Haifa Wehbe released an album containing lyrics calling Nubian black people in Egypt "monkeys". Outraged Egyptian Nubians filed a lawsuit and claimed that it inspired an increase in Arab racism against Nubians in public, including schools - (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world[/url]

you are not allowed to post links yetmonaeltahawy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blog/?p=93

Black Kuwaitis

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetkuwaittimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/read_news.php?newsid=MjQxOTIxMjA5"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetkuwaittimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/read_news.php?newsid=MjQxOTIxMjA5[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetafricaresource(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/black-arab-kuwaitis-and-white-arabized-kuwaitis-jide-uwechia/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetafricaresource(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/rasta/sesost...s-jide-uwechia/[/url]

Just look at how North Africans had Arab language and culture imposed upon them that they even descriminate against Berbers - their own people - and consider themselves Arab when technically they are not.

Let's be honest, if Muslims were treated in such ways in the West, we'd all be crying racism and Islamophobia, Western Imperialism, blah blah blah...

Racism has existed and continues to persist in Muslim and Arab countries. The existance of so many fabricated racist sayings is evidence. It's similar to how some European Christians stated that Black people had the curse of Ham which is not true. Christianity does not allow racism - even Moses was married to an Ethiopian and Solomon infamously loved the Queen of Shea - but to claim that there are no Christian racists on that basis is nonsensical. The same goes for the claim that Black people have not been and are not oppressed oppressed by the hands of Muslims.

I still find it disturbing. To me it seems as if there is some stigma or shame attached to being black that one would be killed for saying such a thing. And death as punishment seems to harsh. People who don't believe in race would not go to such lengths.

I have to say that I agree. I won't claim that Muhammad was a racist, but if I said anyone who says I am a Muslim or Jew should be killed, wouldn't that come across as bigotry? It implies that there is something inferior or detestable about being black or Muslim or Jewish.

Edited by Mrs. J

I don't find it disturbing. Like I said, I would find it equally outrageous if somebody said that the Prophet (pbuh) was/looked European, Asian, or something like that. Lying about the Prophet (pbuh) is a great sin in Islam. Even saying that Bilal (ra) or Usamah (ra) were not black is outrageous, or that the Prophet (pbuh) had no black Companions (ra).

Sulayman (pbuh) was black

:sl:

What is your source for this? Solomon (pbuh) was from the children of israel. He is not black.

The Prophet(pbuh)'s adopted son in law, was black. His name was Zayd ibn Haritha(ra).

Zaid bin Haritha (ra) was an Arab. He was not black though he married an Ethiopian, Umm Ayman (ra).

The Prophet(pbuh) was married to a black woman, the ethiopian Ramla Ommu Habiba. She was one of the Prophets most faithful wives, going on to write Bukhari and Muslim authenticated ahadith relating to marriage.

Umm Habibah Ramlah bint Abi Sufyan (ra) was the daughter of Abu Sufyan (ra). She was from the Quraish. What makes you say that she is from Ethiopia? She fled to Ethiopia with the Muslims, yes, but doesn't mean she was Ethiopian.

2. It was the view of Tabari, which would completly kill the point, since Muslims don't find the views of Tabari authentic, and most of the hadiths he narrates are fabricated. He's even been called a liar by some of the great scholars in Islam.

This is not true. Ibn Jarir at-Tabari's (rah) views are considered authentic in Islam. Tabari (rah) is well respected. Like I said, at-Tabari collected every hadith regardless of authencity. Not because he was incompetent, but because he wanted to document everything. Though you would be correct to say that not every hadith in Tabari's collection is considered authentic or acceptable. Don't speak badly about scholars.

Islam CHANGED THE NAMES AND MEANINIGS OF SLAVERY,

in Albukhary and others, narrated by Abu Zarr said " I Titrate (insulted) a man about his mother (she was a maid), the prophet knew about that, he told me " you are a man who have "Gaheliah" pre-Islamic bad features. your helpers, khawalokom Îæáßã, are your brothers, Allah put them under your authority. so who ever have his brother under his authority, he have to feed him from his food and cloth him from his cloth, and don't overload him, while if you should then you have to help him"

" the prophet ordered to change the name of "slave, Abd ÚÈÏ " to be " my boy, gholam, ÛáÇã Fata, ÝÊì "

few years later the slaves controled some of the Islamic countries just like the free. in fact the names or colors have no thing to do anymore, but the qualifications

Bonaparte et l'Islam by Cherfils (Paris, 1914), Napoleon Bonaparte is recorded as saying about the condition of slaves in Muslim countries:

"The slave inherits his master's property and marries his daughter. The majority of the Pashas had been slaves. Many of the grand viziers, all the Mamelukes, Ali Ben Mourad Beg, had been slaves. They began their lives by performing the most menial services in the houses of their masters and were subsequently raised in status for their merit or by favour. In the West, on the contrary, the slave has always been below the position of the domestic servants; he occupies the lowest rug. The Romans emancipated their slaves, but the emancipated were never considered as equal to the free-born"

"The slave inherits his master's property and marries his daughter.

The slave doesn't inherit the master. I don't think Napoleon is a trusted source on details of Islamic jursiprudence.