Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chelsea89

Does Anyone Else Get Freaked Out When Thinking About Dying

I honestly feel I'll when I think that death is imminent. It's really crazy we can be so afraid of something that happens to absolutely everyone before during and after us. Is anyone else scared of death to the extent of freaking out at times about it?

PropellerAds

Salaam,

I dont get freaked out by it, I guess I might be different because I have been exposed to deaths in the family a lot from a young age. I tend to contemplate it a lot but always remember the hadith

'Ubada bin As-Samit: The Prophet said, "Who-ever loves to meet Allah, Allah (too) loves to meet him and who-ever hates to meet Allah, Allah (too) hates to meet him".

[sahih Bukhari V8,B76, No.514]

I am not scared of dying but I do get that weird feeling that when you think about it, - like we are all going to die one day and then this life just feels rather odd

:sl:

Living in today's world, we are easily distracted from the purpose of life.

We hardly ever dwell on life, death, ourselves and loved ones. It's only when we lose something we are forced to ponder upon it, such as a death in the family.

If one takes time to think about these things, it can really change a person's viewpoint on life.

This is why when a lot of people go to Prison. It is their first time away from the outside world, and in such a place that prison is, they have time to think and ask questions they would normally never ask. Hence why many people who go into Jail actually come out slightly wiser and many find Religion.

So completely know what you mean. We could easily leave this world at any moment, and all that would happen is our loved ones will be shocked for a few days but then move on. Whereas the deceased will be left to face Allah (SWT).

Asalaam alaykum

I think when your younger it is scary, that mainly comes the way we're conditioned in life, I mean the word dead or death, it sounds so final, and as we know this not true.

As you get older you start to reflect more about life and it then becomes rather tedious and tiresome, this comes from lack of direction, I'm talking about the purpose of life, we move away from Allah swt and when you move away from truth you become lost and when you become lost you become afraid and when you become afraid you are easy catch for the shaitan, its likes a battery, when your away from Allah swt your dead but if you turn to Allah swt in all matters, you are recharged, I am excited by a meeting with Allah swt,allhamdulillah, the peace, tranquilty, certainty, no more deceptions.

I've had some dreams and the peace and contentment I've felt in them is unbelievable, I hated waking up

Edited by akhtar

That makes sense. I'd be soo nervous, scared... To meet Allah swt. I mean what do you say? How will you feel? And what if you're just not good enough, you've committed too many bad deeds here, even trying not to, that when you meet Allah swt He's angry. I think I'd want to disappear then. But if it was in that peace and loving presence then I guess I can't wait! I always tend to think I'm just not going to be good enough.

Asalaam alaykum

The thing to remember is that life is a war, i'm talking within, oneself, be focused, know your goal, be steadfast and if you fall, commit sin, get back up, seek forgiveness from Allah swt, never fall into despair for that is like inviting the devil in.

That makes sense. I'd be soo nervous, scared... To meet Allah swt. I mean what do you say? How will you feel? And what if you're just not good enough, you've committed too many bad deeds here, even trying not to, that when you meet Allah swt He's angry. I think I'd want to disappear then. But if it was in that peace and loving presence then I guess I can't wait! I always tend to think I'm just not going to be good enough.

When I commit a sin I am regretful and I feel the same way. There's one passage from the hadith that always gets me through it:

I am as My Servant Thinks (expects) I am

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Allah the Most High said, ‘I am as My servant thinks (expects) I am. I am with him when he mentions Me. If he mentions Me to himself, I mention him to Myself; and if he mentions Me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly greater than it. If he draws near to Me a hand’s length, I draw near to him an arm’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.’”

If you expect that Allah will forgive you then he will. I always feel that Allah will never accept any repentance from me unless I mean it fully and that's how I get through it. Don't ever despair.

As for being scared of death, I can't say that I am; I'm accepting of it whenever it comes (inshallah). The more anchors you have in this life the harder it is to want to let go.

Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The world is a prison-house for a believer and Paradise for a non-believer.

Edited by A-H

as salamualaykum

my mother ( 90+) passed away 3 months ago. (inna lillahi wa inna ilahi rajioon). For the last 2- 3 years she would not go to bed without wadu or reciting the kalima 100 times ." in case Allah swt took her while she was asleep".from her I have also learnt to accept death. i'm not scared of death for myself but get upset at the thought of death of those i love. perhaps due to selfish reasons. May Allah swt make death easy for us & that we die as good muslim

:sl:

In most cases, I guess we die without feeling the fear.

Remember, every one dies, not just Muslims..

We usually either die a sudden death, or after a long illness.

In sudden death, we die before we know it, so there is no fear felt.

In a long illness, we usually come to a point where we wish that death comes sooner to end our sufferings.

There are other rare cases, when we die out of torture, in an execution, or buried under the rubble in an earthquake.

In the case of torture, I guess the feeling would be similar to the very ill person.

Probably the 2 most horrible deaths are in the case of execution and dying under the roof of a building. The last one always freaks me. The thought of being caught under for hours or days before you die.. I pray that no one experiences such horrific entrapment.

Oh, yes! As the Churchill dog would say.

Yeah I get super freaked out by the... no. It's the fear of Allah's wrath. Not death. I guess if you put it that way I'm afraid to die, I don't feel ready. But I'm not afraid of death per se.

Except dead bodies. The thought of being in the vicinity of a dead human body terrifies me. I found a dead deer once (interesting story, came back a year later and found a beautiful sun-bleached white skull) and that didn't bother me, but a dead human probably would. I'm afraid of the smell, too, even though I've never smelled a human corpse before. I just don't want to find out what it smells like.