Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LightSense

Reversion Problem

My mother recently found out I'm leaning to Islam in terms of my religious beliefs. This has caused problems between me and my family. My mom says she going to get ulcers and now she's crying. She calls me a traitor (my dad is Jewish, my mom is not) and that she would have to disown me soon. My dad isn't even that religious and is probably atheist. I hate to say it, but according to Jewish law he committed the sin of assimilation. I don't know why he's Zionist; he has unconditional support for israel.

I'm 17 years old and have been interested in Islam since late 2010. I don't know what to do right now.

I'm going to need major help. If I could move out I would insha'Allah. But if my parents accept me for my beliefs I would stay in their house.

PropellerAds

Why is your mum taking it so badly - perhaps she is not aware of Islamic beliefs? Is she behaving this way because she is not aware of what Islam really is ,..if that is the case maybe you can tell her some things about Islam - like that Muslims also believe in Moses pbuh. Tell her you believe in the same God. Don't be too forceful though. Try look for the similarities between Judaism and Islam and tell her these in order to bring understanding between you both rather than focusing on differences and therefore causing issues for you both.

If the above fails I suggest you just keep quiet about your beliefs for a while since you have to live under the same roof. I am also a Muslim in a non Muslim family so I can understand where you are coming from.

I tried to explain how I got into Islam from reading the Torah, how Judaism is similar in its beliefs but my mom doesn't seem to want to hear it. Sometimes I don't want to discuss my beliefs but she brings it up anyways.

But I love both my parents and don't want any health problems to arise. I miss the days when we would all laugh and have fun but this really gets to me. I will take your advice though and just keep a vow of silence on my beliefs.

Assalam alaikum

in Islam it's obligatory to obey parents -till their death.

God Says (what means):

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_quran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/17/23-25"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_quran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/17/23-25[/url]

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.” (Quran 17:23)

No word of disrespect should be uttered toward a parent, nor even a look of resentment or contempt. Honouring parents can be considered a form of worship if the intention is to please Almighty God by respecting His commands.

"And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say: 'My Lord! Have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when I was] small.'" [Quran 17:23-24]

Islam has endorsed respect for parents by their children, even if the parents are non-Muslims. If parents strive to convert their children to non-Islamic beliefs, the children should not obey them, but must still maintain goodness towards them.

Your story reminded me of Sa'ad Ibn Abi Waqqas (radhi allahu anhu)

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetahya(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/amm/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=109"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetahya(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/amm/modules.php?name=S...e&artid=109[/url]

While the Prophet was delighted with Sa'ad's acceptance of Islam, others including and especially his mother were not. Sa'ad relates: "When my mother heard the news of my Islam, she flew into a rage. She came up to me and said: "O Sa'ad! What is this religion that you have embraced which has taken you away from the religion of your mother and father...? By God, either you forsake your new religion or I would not eat or drink until I die. Your heart would be broken with grief for me and remorse would consume you on account of the deed, you have done and people would censure you forever more.' 'Don't do (such a thing), my mother,' I said, 'for I would not give up my religion for anything.' However, she went on with her threat... For days she neither ate nor drank. She became emaciated and weak."

"Hour after hour, I went to her asking whether I should bring her some food or something to drink but she persistently refused, insisting that she would neither eat nor drink until she died or I abandoned my religion. I said to her, 'Yaa Ummaah! In spite of my strong love for you, my love for Allah and His Messenger is indeed stronger. By Allah, if you had a thousand souls and each one depart one after another, I would not abandon this religion for anything,'

When she saw that I was determined she relented unwillingly and ate and drank. It was concerning Sa'ad's relationship with his mother and her attempt to force him to recant his faith that the words of the Qur'aan were revealed:

In this regard, God says what means:

"And We have enjoined upon man [care] for his parents. His mother carried him, [increasing her] in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning is two years. Be grateful to Me and your parents; to Me is the [final] destination. But if they endeavour to make you associate with Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them but accompany them in [this] world with appropriate kindness and follow the way of those who turn back to Me [in repentance]. Then to Me will be your return, and I will inform you about what you used to do." [Quran 31:14-15]

[using large font size is not allowed]

Just pray to Allah that He will guide you through. It is a very difficult thing for parents to accept- I grew up in a strict, Catholic household. I know your pain, but carry on in your research. Maybe one day you may guide your parents to Islam as well.

Thanks for all the advice. Sa'ad Ibn Abi Waqqas's life does indeed sound similar to what I'm going through. Right now, things are going smoothly. Amna4, I will pray to Allah for things to improve from here. It would be great if my parents came to embrace Islam but for now I will not discuss my beliefs with them because I don't want any arguments in the house.

If they ask insha'Allah, I will gladly explain the true meaning of Islam and what it means to me.

I pray the Allah makes it easy for you and your family.

Wanted to post a story a personal story in which you will inshallah find strength in.

I used to do boxing training with this guy, after some time he became muslim. Intially for him it was a great struggle his family were all christain and strict-ish and very against it. however he never challenged them, instead he Mashallah just worked on his manners and character kept his religion to himself and only spoke about it when they questioned him. after about a year his younger brother became muslim. I recently ran into him (last friday) where now 6 other members of his close family have embraced Islam. All of his siblings and his mother Alhumdullilah.