Islamic Forum

Would you consider being humble a positive attribute? If so, wouldn't we expect the prophet to display this characteristic? Why doesn't he?

This question is a result of my experience in a Masjid last night. After many hadiths were explained, it was clear(er) to me that the prophet told his people that he was the most important creation in the history of existence, the most important human being ever to step foot on earth, etc. Why would any humble person tell others this? How can someone who believes he was the best human being in existence ever be humble?

PropellerAds
Would you consider being humble a positive attribute? If so, wouldn't we expect the prophet to display this characteristic? Why doesn't he?

This question is a result of my experience in a Masjid last night. After many hadiths were explained, it was clear(er) to me that the prophet told his people that he was the most important creation in the history of existence, the most important human being ever to step foot on earth, etc. Why would any humble person tell others this? How can someone who believes he was the best human being in existence ever be humble?

Again, your ignorance in regards to Islaam is made very clear.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was the best of creation, if you ever knew the Messenger of Allaah you wouldn't make such statements.

It was narrated that al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was moving soil with us on the day of al-Ahzaab, and I saw him with dust covering the whiteness of his stomach, and he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) was saying, “(O Allaah)! Without You, we would not have been guided, nor would we have given in charity, nor would we have prayed. So (O Allaah!) send tranquility (Sakeenah) upon us as they (the chiefs of the enemy tribes) have rebelled against us. And if they intend affliction (i.e. want to frighten us and fight against us) then we would not (flee but would withstand them).” And he raised his voice whilst saying it.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6809; Muslim, 1803.

It was narrated that al-Aswad said: I asked ‘Aa’ishah what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do in his house, and she said: He used to serve his family and when the time for prayer came he would go out and pray.

al-Bukhaari, 644.

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassallam) would stand (in prayer) so long that the skin of his feet would crack. I asked him, "Why do you do this while your past and future sins have been forgiven?'' He said, "Should I not be a grateful slave of Allah?''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

These are a few examples and we find many many more, but even these few are sufficient.

Yes, the Messenger of Allaah said that “None of you will complete your faith until you love me more than your fathers, your sons and all of humanity together" -- do you have a problem with this? This is part of our faith, we love all of the Messengers of God (peace be upon them all), and this is what Allaah has commanded us with in the Qur'an... how can you be a believer and not love the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him)? Again, you are picking and choosing when you want to use your intellect and when you want to play dumb.

Again, your ignorance in regards to Islaam is made very clear.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was the best of creation, if you ever knew the Messenger of Allaah you wouldn't make such statements.

I didn't say otherwise. He may as well be the best creation. That was not at all the point of the post. And note, neither you nor I "knew" the Messenger (in person).

It was narrated that al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was moving soil with us on the day of al-Ahzaab, and I saw him with dust covering the whiteness of his stomach, and he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) was saying, “(O Allaah)! Without You, we would not have been guided, nor would we have given in charity, nor would we have prayed. So (O Allaah!) send tranquility (Sakeenah) upon us as they (the chiefs of the enemy tribes) have rebelled against us. And if they intend affliction (i.e. want to frighten us and fight against us) then we would not (flee but would withstand them).†And he raised his voice whilst saying it.

This indicates he saw himself as lower than God. So what?

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6809; Muslim, 1803.

It was narrated that al-Aswad said: I asked ‘Aa’ishah what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do in his house, and she said: He used to serve his family and when the time for prayer came he would go out and pray.

al-Bukhaari, 644.

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassallam) would stand (in prayer) so long that the skin of his feet would crack. I asked him, "Why do you do this while your past and future sins have been forgiven?'' He said, "Should I not be a grateful slave of Allah?''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

These are a few examples and we find many many more, but even these few are sufficient.

These are more examples of him seeing himself as lower than God. He still saw himself as the best of creation. You are missing the point of the post.

Yes, the Messenger of Allaah said that “None of you will complete your faith until you love me more than your fathers, your sons and all of humanity together" -- do you have a problem with this? This is part of our faith, we love all of the Messengers of God (peace be upon them all), and this is what Allaah has commanded us with in the Qur'an... how can you be a believer and not love the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him)? Again, you are picking and choosing when you want to use your intellect and when you want to play dumb.

Realistically, yes, I have a problem with that. I don't care how great any one person was, I would still value humanity over that one individual. However, that was not what the post was about. There are many cases where the prophet talked about how he was the greatest of all creation. I am asking how a humble person could possibly say this. You did not even use the word "humble" or "humility" in your entire post, making it clear that you did not even take time to understand what was being asked.

I haven't played dumb, though you seem to be showing yourself to be. I'm having trouble understanding how someone could read a post titled "humility", read questions regarding being "humble", and respond without considering or referencing either word even vaguely.

I didn't say otherwise. He may as well be the best creation. That was not at all the point of the post. And note, neither you nor I "knew" the Messenger (in person).

This indicates he saw himself as lower than God. So what?

These are more examples of him seeing himself as lower than God. He still saw himself as the best of creation. You are missing the point of the post.

Realistically, yes, I have a problem with that. I don't care how great any one person was, I would still value humanity over that one individual. However, that was not what the post was about. There are many cases where the prophet talked about how he was the greatest of all creation. I am asking how a humble person could possibly say this. You did not even use the word "humble" or "humility" in your entire post, making it clear that you did not even take time to understand what was being asked.

I haven't played dumb, though you seem to be showing yourself to be. I'm having trouble understanding how someone could read a post titled "humility", read questions regarding being "humble", and respond without considering or referencing either word even vaguely.

Well, I thought you were smart enough to make deductions but clearly you are not.

1. The fact that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was getting himself dirty even though he could have sat back and had others do the work is a sign of humility.

2. Serving your family is a sign of humility.

3. Standing up all night praying even though your past and present sins have been forgiven is a sign of humility.

What you fail to understand is that he was not like you or I, he was a Prophet of God, and he could have had whatever he desired but instead he chose simplicity. The definition of the word humble is "Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance", now considering he is the greatest of creation (which is supported by God in the Qur'an) I would say that the narrations I have quoted show humility. Loving the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) is a command from ALLAAH, and this is the position ALLAAH has given him, therefore it is necessary for the believer to love him. The fact that he conveyed the message from ALLAAH stating that a believer must love him more than anything else doesn't mean he was arrogant, only an ignorant person would conclude such a thing. And seriously, you need to grow up.

Anyway, please do quote all of your evidence in regards to your claim, otherwise I'm going to consider this thread as an insult and lie against the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) and Islaam based upon non factual "evidence".

Well, I thought you were smart enough to make deductions but clearly you are not.

1. The fact that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was getting himself dirty even though he could have sat back and had others do the work is a sign of humility.

2. Serving your family is a sign of humility.

3. Standing up all night praying even though your past and present sins have been forgiven is a sign of humility.

What you fail to understand is that he was not like you or I, he was a Prophet of God, and he could have had whatever he desired but instead he chose simplicity. The definition of the word humble is "Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance", now considering he is the greatest of creation (which is supported by God in the Qur'an) I would say that the narrations I have quoted show humility. Loving the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) is a command from ALLAAH, and this is the position ALLAAH has given him, therefore it is necessary for the believer to love him. The fact that he conveyed the message from ALLAAH stating that a believer must love him more than anything else doesn't mean he was arrogant, only an ignorant person would conclude such a thing. And seriously, you need to grow up.

Anyway, please do quote all of your evidence in regards to your claim, otherwise I'm going to consider this thread as an insult and lie against the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) and Islaam based upon non factual "evidence".

No, someone could do work, serve family, and pray without being humble. I am not questioning his worth ethic. For example, he may have seen these things as his duties. One does not have to be humble to do his or her duties.

What I am asking is, how could someone that believed himself to be the greatest of creations be humble? This is neither a modest nor a low estimate of his own importance - correct? I don't think I've made any controversial claim as a premise. I think we agree that the prophet said he was the greatest of creations, do we not? What premise have I used that you do not agree with so that I can give you the evidence (hadith)?

This thread does not aim to insult anyone or anything. All I am asking for is a justification for how a man that believed himself to be the greatest of creation could possibly be humble. No need to be offended by questions.

No, someone could do work, serve family, and pray without being humble. I am not questioning his worth ethic. For example, he may have seen these things as his duties. One does not have to be humble to do his or her duties.

What I am asking is, how could someone that believed himself to be the greatest of creations be humble? This is neither a modest nor a low estimate of his own importance - correct? I don't think I've made any controversial claim as a premise. I think we agree that the prophet said he was the greatest of creations, do we not? What premise have I used that you do not agree with so that I can give you the evidence (hadith)?

This thread does not aim to insult anyone or anything. All I am asking for is a justification for how a man that believed himself to be the greatest of creation could possibly be humble. No need to be offended by questions.

My friend, you are acting like a robot again... based on what I have quoted do you get the impression that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was an arrogant person? And no, I don't think the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said that he is the greatest of creation, but yes he did state that the believer must love him more than anything else; this is not a statement of arrogance rather this this is the truth as this is the position which Allaah gave him. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this... the Messenger of Allaah did not make that statement based on arrogance, rather he made a statement which is based upon the requirements of faith as approved by Allaah. Apply the same kind of intellect and thinking I have seen you apply in other threads... suppose you are a Muslim and you believe in Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), should he not more beloved to you than your own self, your mother, your father and whoever else? This is the person who is beloved to Allaah, if you love Allaah then how can you not love His Messenger?

My friend, you are acting like a robot again... based on what I have quoted do you get the impression that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) was an arrogant person? And no, I don't think the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said that he is the greatest of creation, but yes he did state that the believer must love him more than anything else; this is not a statement of arrogance rather this this is the truth as this is the position which Allaah gave him. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this... the Messenger of Allaah did not make that statement based on arrogance, rather he made a statement which is based upon the requirements of faith as approved by Allaah. Apply the same kind of intellect and thinking I have seen you apply in other threads... suppose you are a Muslim and you believe in Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), should he not more beloved to you than your own self, your mother, your father and whoever else? This is the person who is beloved to Allaah, if you love Allaah then how can you not love His Messenger?

Okay, perhaps you don't think he "said" that he is the greatest of creation. Do you at least agree that he believed he was the greatest of creation?

I think you are presenting the only two options as you can either love him more than all of humanity or not love him it all. I think it would be useful for a Muslim to love him, but bad and/or impractical to love him more than anything (except God), even all of mankind.

This hadith pretty much kills the topic.

Narrated ‘Umar: I heard the Prophet (saw) saying, “Do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians praised the son of Mary, for I am only a Slave. So, call me the Slave of God and His Apostle.†- Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55, Number 654

This hadith pretty much kills the topic.

Narrated ‘Umar: I heard the Prophet (saw) saying, “Do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians praised the son of Mary, for I am only a Slave. So, call me the Slave of God and His Apostle.†- Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55, Number 654

Not at all. This hadith means do not worship him as a God.

God Almighty chose him to be the Leader of Mankind. It is part of this message to tell the people that he, Muhammad, is the Leader of Mankind and He Must be followed. He as a person was the most humble of all, but there are cases where he needs to convey the message. This includes new about himself. Every message is a direct order from Allah and there is not guilt on him for being arrogant or self-praising.

You have not studied fiqh, that is why you don't know when praising yourself is forbidden, disliked, permissable, recommended, or even mandatory.

The prophets and messengers must tell the truth and one of the truths about Muhammad is that he is the leader of mankind. If he had not conveyed this part of the message, he would be guilty of omitting important parts of the message and guilty of lying.

The four pillars of manhood, according to Imam Al Shafi'ee, are Right Worship, Good Manners, Humility/Humbleness, and Generosity. In all the three pillars, Muhammad, was the best of all mankind. It is not boasting, but the truth.

Not at all. This hadith means do not worship him as a God.

Ok, how did you go from "praising" to "worshipping as God"? I think you have some denial.

Someone came to him and bowed to him, not as a God but out of high respect. That's when the scholars believe he said those words, because he feared people would go to far like this man did.

And here's more -

One of the clearest examples of his humility, is that the Messenger of Allah (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) would sit in the Masjid with his companions and if a stranger or visitor came to the Masjid he wouldn't know who the Prophet was until he asked, "Which one of you is Muhammad"?

This is because he would not sit, dress, or be treated in a way that distinguished him from the people. Unlike the way leaders and famous people are treated when they're with the people. Whenever a stranger enters into their majlis, it becomes quite clear to the stranger this person is noteworthy amongst the people.

Anas Ibn Maalik would pass by a group of young boys playing and he would extend to them a warm and gracious greeting (salaams). When he was asked, "Why do you do this"? He replied, 'The Prophet ( Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) use to do it'. Bukhari/Muslim

Abdullah ibn Amr ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå )said: 'The Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) entered upon me so I gave him a pillow (to sit on) made out of skin and filled with date palm fibers. The Prophet ( Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) (refused to sit on it) and he choose to sit on the (bare) ground, and he left the cushion between him and myself'. Bukhari/Muslim

Abu Saeed Al-Khudri ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå ) said; 'I entered upon the Messenger of Allah (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) and I found him praying on a (normal) mat, and he was making Sajdah on it'. Muslim

Aisha ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå ) was asked, 'What did the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) use to do when he was in the privacy of his home'? She replied, 'He use to be in the service of his family'. He used to repair his sandals and sew/patch his own thobe and he would milk the sheep. Bukhari

Anas ibn Maalik ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå ) said the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) performed the Hajj upon an old camel that had a saddle that cost about four dirhams or less, and then he said, "Oh Allah, this is a Hajj (that I'm performing) wherein there is no showing off nor notoriety sought". Tirmizi/Ibn Majah

Anas ibn Maalik ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå ): 'I never saw a man seeking the ear of the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) except that the Messenger of Allah would never turn his head from him, until the man turned his head first. Nor did I ever see a man take the hand of the Prophet, except that the Messenger of Allah would never let his hand go, until the man was the first to let the Prophet's hand go'. Bukhari

Abu Masood ( ÑÖí Çááå ÊÚÇ áí Úäå ) said: 'A man came to the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) and he began to speak to him, and he was seized by fear (of the Prophet). Upon witnessing his demeanor the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) said to him: "Take it easy and calm down, for verily I am not a king, but instead I am only the son of a Quraishy women who use to eat dried salted meat strips". Ibn Majah

From the clearest and most manifest examples of his humility is when he entered Mecca as a conqueror. It is a well known historical fact the Prophet (Õáí Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ) escaped from Mecca fearful for his life, as the disbeliever's of Quraish were hot on his trail in pursuit of him to do away with him once and for all.

Ten years later when he returned to Mecca as a conqueror and triumphant, he had every right to enter the sacred precincts of Mecca with his head held high as he had been given victory over his enemies, and they were totally defeated and subdued. Had he entered into Mecca in this way, he would not have been blamed! But instead, he entered into Mecca with his head held down, barely touching the neck of his camel and glorifying Allah by saying Allah Akbar, for the victory that he was given.

It was also narrated that Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, said that a man said to the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, “You are our master and the son of our master, the best of us and the son of the best of us.'' The Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said: “O people, say what you have to say, but do not allow the devil to trick you. I am Muhammad the son of ‘Abdullaah, the slave of Allaah and His Messenger. By Allaah, I do not like that you elevate me above the rank that Allaah has granted me.†[Ahmad and An-Nasaa’i; Al-Albaani: Saheeh (Authentic)]

It was also narrated that Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, said that a man said to the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, “You are the best of creation.†The Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said: “(Rather), that is Ibraaheem, may Allaah exalt his mention.†[Muslim]

The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, would say: “I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.†[ibn Sa‘d and Al-Bayhaqi; Al-Albaani: Saheeh (Authentic)]

When they were numerous, the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, sat with them on his knees. A bedouin said, ‘What type of sitting is this?’ The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, replied: ‘Allaah has made me a noble slave, not an obstinate tyrant.’†[Abu Daawood and Ibn Maajah; Al-Albaani: Saheeh (Authentic)] It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with him and his father, said, “The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, would sit on the ground and eat on the ground and milk the sheep.†[At-Tabaraani; Al-Albaani: Saheeh (Authentic)]

I can go on and on and on. I don't know how you would still think he didn't have Humility after this.

What you fail to understand is that he was not like you or I, he was a Prophet of God, and he could have had whatever he desired but instead he chose simplicity.

In the Biblical tradition (Jewish, Christian and Messianic Jewish), a prophet is God's "spokesman" or "spokeswoman" but I would not say that they could have anything they desired, nor does being a prophet mean one is entitled to live a care-free life. Jeremiah the prophet was attacked and persecuted which is what God told him would happen. He was not the only one. Hearing of revelation does not remove all their humanity or perfect them, nor do they always want to deliver the messages they have heard (example Jonah). Prophets were descendents of Adam meaning that they were prone to sin at some stage in their lives.

This question is a result of my experience in a Masjid last night. After many hadiths were explained, it was clear(er) to me that the prophet told his people that he was the most important creation in the history of existence, the most important human being ever to step foot on earth, etc.

If you heard it spoken then it might be hard to find the actual hadiths to quote.

But I think the speaker is wrong: Muhammad (God rest his soul) was not the most important 'creation'. He is a human being just like the rest of us, in no way different in his nature, born just like the rest of us. He died just like people and Messengers before him died. In fact, Idris (Enoch) was taken up to heaven alive instead of dying. Can this not be considered greater?

It is reported in Bukhari,

Volume 9, Book 93, Number 630:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet said that his Lord said: "It does not befit a slave that he should say that he is better than Jonah (Yunus) bin Matta

See also Volume 4, Book 55, Number 608

Richard

In fact, Idris (Enoch) was taken up to heaven alive instead of dying. Can this not be considered greater?

So were Moses and Elijah. They are among several figures in the Bible who performed miracles.

So were Moses and Elijah. They are among several figures in the Bible who performed miracles.

Technically, Moses died and his body was then taken to heaven (where I suppose it became alive). I cannot remember if he Jewish legends state anything different.

Richard

:sl:

Did he say that because he is arrogant? No, it's so easy to find the opposite in the history. How would I get to know that Prophet Muhammad is the best of all mankinds and prophets if he hadn't said anything about that? I could just think that Prophet Adam is the best because he is the first, or Prophet Isa is the best because he's in the heaven. So, it "comes with the job". For example: A teacher talks about positive things/attributes about themselves, so the pupils get to learn better about their teacher whom they should look up to and the reasons for that; a father talked about his positive facts about himself to his children, and the children got to learn more about their father and why the should follow in his footstep; a politician talks about what made him different from other candidates to his constituents so they know why they should vote for him. So, there are times where you need to state facts, without feeling proud of that. Because it's not your purpose.

Yasnov

When speaking in praise about himself, the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him did so, not out of arrogance and confidence in himself as Muhammad ibn Abdullah, but as the Prophet of Allah. He teaches us to love him and hold him in high regard because of his status as the Prophet of Allah. In other words, what makes him so worthy of such praise is his prophethood. He himself PBUH recognised this, that even in salah (prayer), he would recite as we do 'Allahumma salli 'alaa Muhammad wa 'alaa aali Muhammad...' - 'O Allah, send your peace and blessings on Muhammad, and on the family of Muhammad...'; he would not say 'O Allah, send your peace and blessings on me and my family'. He detached his own personal self from his position of prophethood, so that if someone didn't understand this, they would probably see his praise of himself as extreme arrogance, when in fact that is not the case; it is just an emphasis on the honour and high status of a prophet of God (and Muhammad PBUH being the Last and one of the most beloved) that he teaches us to respect and value.

What further proves that he PBUH praised himself not out of arrogance but out of love and respect for Allah and his prophets as a whole, is the examples that some of the brothers gave which illustrate the Prophet's humility, humbleness and modesty in all other aspects of his life, with his family and friends and so on. This is no contradiction in his character PBUH, it is simply a distinction that he himself recognised, between his position as a prophet of Allah and as a man.

Of course we as Muslims love and respect him PBUH for who he is as a whole. I am just trying to explain why the Prophet PBUH would praise himself so, and how it isn't out of arrogance.

When speaking in praise about himself, the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him did so, not out of arrogance and confidence in himself as Muhammad ibn Abdullah, but as the Prophet of Allah. He teaches us to love him and hold him in high regard because of his status as the Prophet of Allah. In other words, what makes him so worthy of such praise is his prophethood. He himself PBUH recognised this, that even in salah (prayer), he would recite as we do 'Allahumma salli 'alaa Muhammad wa 'alaa aali Muhammad...' - 'O Allah, send your peace and blessings on Muhammad, and on the family of Muhammad...'; he would not say 'O Allah, send your peace and blessings on me and my family'. He detached his own personal self from his position of prophethood, so that if someone didn't understand this, they would probably see his praise of himself as extreme arrogance, when in fact that is not the case; it is just an emphasis on the honour and high status of a prophet of God (and Muhammad PBUH being the Last and one of the most beloved) that he teaches us to respect and value.

What further proves that he PBUH praised himself not out of arrogance but out of love and respect for Allah and his prophets as a whole, is the examples that some of the brothers gave which illustrate the Prophet's humility, humbleness and modesty in all other aspects of his life, with his family and friends and so on. This is no contradiction in his character PBUH, it is simply a distinction that he himself recognised, between his position as a prophet of Allah and as a man.

Of course we as Muslims love and respect him PBUH for who he is as a whole. I am just trying to explain why the Prophet PBUH would praise himself so, and how it isn't out of arrogance.

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to respond anyway.

I don't get the distinction between him and his position. If a prince said, "The king has told me that I am the best person in this country." or something like that (and assuming no one could directly verify from the king), would there be a distinction here between the prince being the best vs the actual guy that is the prince being the best?