Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amoeba

The Writing Place

Ok, ok, ok.

Asaalam alaykum everyone, I have always enjoyed writing fiction (never liked reading it, was always more of a fan of non-fiction) and I want to ask our moderators or admins if we are allowed to post fiction that is not about Islam in the writing section... place... thing?

Islamic fiction is desirable, I know. But I also don't think (emphasis on don't think, so I'm not 100% sure) that any of my writing goes against Islam. Like I hate swearing, loathe it. Also nothing happens that is impossible according to Islamic teachings. The message delivered also never goes against Islam. You know how like you start reading some fiction and you groan and roll your eyes because the author is very clearly trying to glorify athiesm or something, none of my stories are like that. If a character does something that is forbidden in Islam there are always clear consequences of their actions. I also HATE HATE HATE romance in stories so I never add it to my own, which means absolutely NO RUDE SCENES! No glorification of bad deeds happen in my stories as far as I'm aware.

I did start one that tried to be 'Islamic' but early on into the story I realised that I didn't know enough about Islam and I didn't want to portray Islam in a less than accurate light so I abandoned the story.

Would my fictional stories still be allowed?

PropellerAds

Heloooo? If I don't get a response soon I'm just going to go ahead and post my story anyway...

Salam alaykum,

I run the page I Love Islamic Fiction at Facebook and as such am a pioneer in the awakening of the category Islamic Fiction in the literary world. I wonder what definition for "Islamic Fiction" you are working from in your analysis. Everything you quote as what you handle and reject in your fiction stories qualifies it as "Islamic Fiction". You do not need to be a scholar or an expert in Islam to call it "Islamic Fiction". Are your characters Muslim? Are they demonstrating Islam through the choices they make, through the way they engage with the Dunia? I need to know more about your writing. Coming soon as part of the project is a book store specialized uniquely in Islamic Fiction so I need you as a contributing writer insha'Allah. Drop by Facebook to the page please (I posted the link to your question there) and introduce yourself. For a definition of Islamic Fiction please go to http :// ###### . Islamicfictionbooks . com / definitions .html . This is the official definition as prepared by the Islamic Writers Alliance. If you want to join that do so here: http :// ###### . Islamicwritersalliance (contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ (I have to enter spaces because i am not permitted to post links.

Thanks for starting this conversation. Where is the "Writing section" you mentioned?

Nancy E Biddle

Wa alaykum salam.

Are your characters Muslim?

No.

Are they demonstrating Islam through the choices they make, through the way they engage with the Dunia?

I don't know.

I need to know more about your writing. Coming soon as part of the project is a book store specialized uniquely in Islamic Fiction so I need you as a contributing writer insha'Allah. Drop by Facebook to the page please (I posted the link to your question there) and introduce yourself. For a definition of Islamic Fiction please go to http :// ###### . Islamicfictionbooks . com / definitions .html . This is the official definition as prepared by the Islamic Writers Alliance. If you want to join that do so here: http :// ###### . Islamicwritersalliance (contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ (I have to enter spaces because i am not permitted to post links.

I don't have facebook and I'm not interested in getting a facebook account. I'm now nicely asking you to remove the link to this thread from your page. If you had asked I would have said no. It's not fair that I can't reply to any criticism on there that I might get for posting this.

Thanks for starting this conversation. Where is the "Writing section" you mentioned?

Nancy E Biddle

It's lower down in the forum index.

Also my writing is rubbish. You don't want my stuff in your book store. And I also feel like you're just posting this to use me for your little book store enterprize instead of to help me answer the question on whether non-islamic fictioon is allowed here.. You're not a nice person.