Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
missjupiter

Using The Name Yhwh In Islam

If a Jew or Christian blesses food with the name Yahweh, or substitutes it with Hashem (the Name) which is common practice, is a Muslim allowed to consume such food? I am under the impression that Islam prohibits the consumption of food upon which a name other than Allah has been invoked (please correct me if I am wrong).

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islam.thetruecall(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=328"]This site[/url] tries to find an Arabic or Quranic equivalent to YHWH:

Hayyul-Qayyum – The Living, Self-Subsisting[using large font size is not allowed]

YHWH – The Living, Self-Subsisting[using large font size is not allowed]

I would not say that this conveys the meanings of YHWH and I would not agree that it is a "clear reference to YHWH" as the author claims. Furthermore, Biblical scholars have come to the spelling 'Yahweh' by referring to Jewish and non-Jewish sources. In Jewish culture, YHWH is substitued with 'LORD' which is why there is no instance of Jesus saying YHWH explicitly. But, by saying adonai or the Aramaic equivalent, it is clear whose name he is invoking.

Anyway, are Muslims permitted to refer to God as YHWH? Is Allah or Hayyul-Qayyum[using large font size is not allowed] the supreme name or personal name of God in Islam?

Thanking you in advance for your answers.

PropellerAds

While not a Muslim, I don't think there should be any problem. It is clearly the same God - the sole Creator of all, and worshipped by Abraham - being referred to.

Richard