Islamic Forum
Israa`eel

How Do Non Muslims Explain The After Life?

Can anyone, from any religion, tell me what they believe about the After life. And I want you to quote your scriptures.

Please explain what happens to the soul when the person dies, what happens in the grave, what details do you have about the Day of Judgement and what description you have about Hell and Paradise...

Surely, a Religion from God would explain these things [or any necessary things about life after death] as that is the main focus in this life - to have a better life after this one.

All answers would be interesting to know.

PropellerAds

Can anyone, from any religion, tell me what they believe about the After life. And I want you to quote your scriptures.

Please explain what happens to the soul when the person dies, what happens in the grave, what details do you have about the Day of Judgement and what description you have about Hell and Paradise...

Surely, a Religion from God would explain these things [or any necessary things about life after death] as that is the main focus in this life - to have a better life after this one.

All answers would be interesting to know.

Well from a Christian (RC) stance first we are dead. As far as our body goes. From dust we are and dust we shall return. This is stated in Genesis 3:19 [19] In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return.

Now for the spiritual part. As RC we believe in two types of judgments. The first is paticular or individual judgment. This comes from Hebrews 9:27 [27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment: Now once God has judged us we will know our eternal destination for good or bad. Then at the end of time comes the general judgment. One can find this in Scripture in St. Matthew 25:31-32 [31] And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. [32] And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats: Also one could look at St. Luke 12:2-5 [2] For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed: nor hidden, that shall not be known. [3] For whatsoever things you have spoken in darkness, shall be published in the light: and that which you have spoken in the ear in the chambers, shall be preached on the housetops. [4] And I say to you, my friends: Be not afraid of them who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. [5] But I will shew you whom you shall fear: fear ye him, who after he hath killed, hath power to cast into hell. Yea, I say to you, fear him.

Now in RCC there are three destinations. Two of the three are perminent. Heaven or Hell are perminent. Purgatory is a tempory state. Purgatory is a place of cleansing. For nothing unclean shall enter the kingdom of God (Rev. 21:27 [27] There shall not enter into it any thing defiled, or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie, but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb.) It is a place where anyone who has not been completely freed of sin and its effects is, to some extent, "unclean." Through repentance he may have gained the grace needed to be worthy of heaven, which is to say, he has been forgiven and his soul is spiritually alive. But that’s not sufficient for gaining entrance into heaven. He needs to be cleansed completely.

As far as a description of Heaven goes I think we can get a bit of a idea from Revelations 21:1-22:5

The new Jerusalem described.

[1] And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more. [2] And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. [3] And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God. [4] And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away. [5] And he that sat on the throne, said: Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me: Write, for these words are most faithful and true.

[1] The first heaven and the first earth was gone: being changed, not as to their substance, but in their qualities.

[6] And he said to me: It is done. I am Alpha and Omega; the beginning and the end. To him that thirsteth, I will give of the fountain of the water of life, freely. [7] He that shall overcome shall possess these things, and I will be his God; and he shall be my son. [8] But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, they shall have their portion in the pool burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. [9] And there came one of the seven angels, who had the vials full of the seven last plagues, and spoke with me, saying: Come, and I will shew thee the bride, the wife of the Lamb. [10] And he took me up in spirit to a great and high mountain: and he shewed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God,

[11] Having the glory of God, and the light thereof was like to a precious stone, as to the jasper stone, even as crystal. [12] And it had a wall great and high, having twelve gates, and in the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of israel. [13] On the east, three gates: and on the north, three gates: and on the south, three gates: and on the west, three gates. [14] And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them, the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. [15] And he that spoke with me, had a measure of a reed of gold, to measure the city and the gates thereof, and the wall.

[16] And the city lieth in a foursquare, and the length thereof is as great as the breadth: and he measured the city with the golden reed for twelve thousand furlongs, and the length and the height and the breadth thereof are equal. [17] And he measured the wall thereof an hundred and forty-four cubits, the measure of a man, which is of an angel. [18] And the building of the wall thereof was of jasper stone: but the city itself pure gold, like to clear glass. [19] And the foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper: the second, sapphire: the third, a chalcedony: the fourth, an emerald: [20] The fifth, sardonyx: the sixth, sardius: the seventh, chrysolite: the eighth, beryl: the ninth, a topaz: the tenth, a chrysoprasus: the eleventh, a jacinth: the twelfth, an amethyst.

[17] The measure of a man,: i. e. According to the measure of men, and used by the angel. This seems to be the true meaning of these words.

[21] And the twelve gates are twelve pearls, one to each: and every several gate was of one several pearl. And the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass. [22] And I saw no temple therein. For the Lord God Almighty is the temple thereof, and the Lamb. [23] And the city hath no need of the sun, nor of the moon, to shine in it. For the glory of God hath enlightened it, and the Lamb is the lamp thereof. [24] And the nations shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth shall bring their glory and honour into it. [25] And the gates thereof shall not be shut by day: for there shall be no night there.

[26] And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it. [27] There shall not enter into it any thing defiled, or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie, but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb.

The water and tree of life. The conclusion.

[1] And he shewed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. [2] In the midst of the street thereof, and on both sides of the river, was the tree of life, bearing twelve fruits, yielding its fruits every month, and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. [3] And there shall be no curse any more; but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and his servants shall serve him. [4] And they shall see his face: and his name shall be on their foreheads. [5] And night shall be no more: and they shall not need the light of the lamp, nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God shall enlighten them, and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Now for the topic of Hell. The doctrine of hell is so frightening that numerous heretical sects end up denying the reality of an eternal hell. The Unitarian-Universalists, the Seventh-Day Adventists, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Christadelphians, the Christian Scientists, the Religious Scientists, the New Agers, and the Mormons—all have rejected or modified the doctrine of hell so radically that it is no longer a serious threat. In recent decades, this decay has even invaded mainstream Evangelicalism, and a number of major Evangelical figures have advocated the view that there is no eternal hell—the wicked will simply be annihilated.

We are warned of the dangers of hell by Jesus in St. Mark 9:46-48 [46] And if thy eye scandalize thee, pluck it out. It is better for thee with one eye to enter into the kingdom of God, than having two eyes to be cast into the hell of fire: [47] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished. [48] For every one shall be salted with fire: and every victim shall be salted with salt. Also in Revelation 14:11 [11] And the smoke of their torments shall ascend up for ever and ever: neither have they rest day nor night, who have adored the beast, and his image, and whoever receiveth the character of his name. From the CCC. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, ‘eternal fire.’ The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs" (CCC 1035).

I hope you found this informative in a Christian view of the after life.

Hello workingman

I must say, I am surprised. Hardly do we find Christians mentioning about the punishments of God - but like you said a number of sects have toned it down and even denied it.

You mentioned that theres 3 destinations, we believe theres only 2. We do believe in the process of cleansing the sins, but that process hapens in hellfire. We believe hell [and heaven] has levels. The top level of Hell is for those who would be cleansed from their sin and after awhile [Due to having a little bit of belief in God] they would be taken out by the Will of God.

You mentioned you believe that once an evil soul dies, he would go straight to Hell. We do not believe that, we believe people would enter hell or heaven after the Day of Judgment. When one dies, they would be living in what is called the Barzakh. It is a life between this life and the Day of judgment. They would be asked 3 questions: 1. who is you Lord, 2. what is your Religion, 3. Who was you Prophet? and then their would be either punishment or bliss.

I will read your post through again at some point, thanks for the info.

name='Abu-Yusuf' timestamp='1330017272' post='1255053']

Hello workingman

I must say, I am surprised. Hardly do we find Christians mentioning about the punishments of God - but like you said a number of sects have toned it down and even denied it.

Well people do find it a unpleasant topic. But that is no reason to deny dogma.

You mentioned that theres 3 destinations, we believe theres only 2. We do believe in the process of cleansing the sins, but that process hapens in hellfire. We believe hell [and heaven] has levels. The top level of Hell is for those who would be cleansed from their sin and after awhile [Due to having a little bit of belief in God] they would be taken out by the Will of God.

Yes, Purgatory, Heaven, and Hell. The first is a place of cleansing so I guess it would be simmilar to your top level of Hell. Well I think the other two are fairly self explanitory.

You mentioned you believe that once an evil soul dies, he would go straight to Hell. We do not believe that, we believe people would enter hell or heaven after the Day of Judgment. When one dies, they would be living in what is called the Barzakh. It is a life between this life and the Day of judgment. They would be asked 3 questions: 1. who is you Lord, 2. what is your Religion, 3. Who was you Prophet? and then their would be either punishment or bliss.

Yes once we dye we believe in a imediate judgment. One will know there destination once dead because they will stand before God. Then there is a general judgment when Jesus Christ returns.

I will read your post through again at some point, thanks for the info.

Ok. let me know if anything needs clairification.

God's peace and blessings be upon you.

What after life?

God answers to you in Quran:

45:24-26 They(unbelievers) say, ‘There is only our life in this world: we die, we live, nothing but time destroys us.’ They have no knowledge of this; they only speculate.

And when Our clear verses are recited to them, their only argument is, “Bring back our forefathers, if you are truthful!”

[Prophet Muhammed], say(to them), ‘It is God who gives you life, then causes you to die, and then He gathers you all to the Day of Resurrection of which there is no doubt, but most people do not know it.

That didnt answer anything, sorry :(

i know :glare: let try again

God says in quran:

6:25 Among them are some who [appear to] listen to you, but we have placed covers over their hearts- so they do not understand the Quran- and deafness in their ears. Even if they saw every sign they would not believe in them. So, when they come to you, they argue with you: the disbelievers say, ‘These are nothing but ancient fables,’

2:7 God has sealed their hearts and their ears, and their eyes are covered. They will have great torment.

to many people to quote:

"some people will believe in anything"

oh and if you really do believe that Allah has placed covers over there hearts, then its not my fault, Allah did it.

that was nice of it/him/her :)

to many people to quote:

"some people will believe in anything"

oh and if you really do believe that Allah has placed covers over there hearts, then its not my fault, Allah did it.

that was nice of it/him/her :)

let see if it is your fault or not

God answers to you in quran:

7:146 I will turn away from My revelations those who are arrogant on Earth without right, and if they see every sign they do not believe in it, and if they see the path of guidance they do not take it as a path; and if they see the path of mischief, they take it as a path. That is because they have denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.

why is your heart covered? God answers That is because they have denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.

hujjah?

It only means something to you because you believe this book is divinely inspired.

Personally it just sounds like what some1 would write to cover there and explain non believers.

While allowing you to go on believing your special.

Um, cover their behind might be a better way to phrase that Scotia.

William Shakespeare once called death "The undiscovered country, from whose borders No traveler returns." (Hamlet Act III Scene I)

The simple truth is that we have not one single shred of empirical evidence for anything which occurs to the soul/conscience after death, so, we have to take things on faith. All three of the Abrahamic religions tell us of God and His judgement, that said though the idea of an afterlife is far more prevelent in Christianity and Islam than it is in Judism.

You mentioned that theres 3 destinations, we believe theres only 2.

It should be pointed out that while Catholics believe in Purgatory, most, if not all Protestant denominations do not.

[at] Yank, You are correct. I will thank you for pointing that out. Also some goups look at it as a matter of adiophra this is common especialy among Lutherans.