Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice

Hello my name is ben and I am converting to Islam so I can be with the woman I love (she is a follower of Islamic way of life) and I have a few questions to ask firstly even if I convert will I still be acsepted in to her family? Secondly is there any sort of ceremony I will need to undertake In order to be classed as converted? And lastly is there any other information/notes I will need inorder for this to work. Thank you this means alot to me if you help me :)

PropellerAds

Firstly if you decide you want to be a Muslim you should firstly do it for God and not for a woman.

All you have to do to become a Muslim is say

Ashadu an la ilaha illa'llah wa Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasululu'lla..In english this means I testify that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His messenger.

The shahadah is an extremely important part of Islam because it reinforces the fact that there is only One Creator...it is this principle of monotheism that you will see is repeated and emphasised throughout the quran. There is no type of ritual etc to become Muslim just that sentence and all your past sins are forgiven when you become a Muslim so it is like a fresh start.

The only other advice I would give is that if you are involved in a relationship with this girl then end it or marry her because her family probably won't approve as relationships outside marriage go against Islamic principles.

See 2.10 in this video to listen to the sound of the shahadah

I don't know how much you know about Islam but some of the main points that would be useful for you to be aware of are:

Some of the basic concepts in Islam are:

- believing in One God. We call God Allah but God has many other beautiful names which are mentioned in the quran such as Al Gafur(The Forgiving). Believing that there is only one God is the most essential concept of Islam and all the prophets we believe in taught this message.

-Muhammad(peace be upon Him) is important to us in Islam because we believe he is the last prophet and he revealed the holy quran.

-We believe that the Torah and Bible were also the word of God but that they became corrupted and changed by humans.

- We believe in angels

- We pray 5 times a day to Allah in the arabic language and we face towards Mecca a city in Saudi Arabia

- We fast during the month of Ramadan - Ramadan is a really important month to us where we get the chance to feel closer to God and to also feel the hunger and thirst that poor people in the world feel so that we can become more grateful for what we have in our lives and thank God for this.

- Muslims are expected to be charitable and if they can they should pay zakat.

- We believe that there is a heaven and hell

- We believe in Judgement Day and on this Day Allah will judge all of us according to the good and bad things we did in our lives, therefore we are responsible for our own actions.

- We believe that the holy Quran is uncorrupted and we also use the hadith which is a book of the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad.

- We don't believe that Islam is new because we believe that all the prophets and messengers before Muhammad were also Muslim

I myself became a Muslim 2 years ago and there are a few other reverts on this forum so if you have any questions there are lots of people to help here. May Allah guide you.

peace to the truth seekers,

we believe too that, Islam is a complete way to provide real happiness and contentement in this life and in the eternal second life too.

the Quran is considered the Moslem constitution is gives the main guiding lines for Mostem in beliefs, worshiping activities (spirit nutration), dealing with others, legislations,.....as well as many proves and stories about the benefits of following the god's way. the Hadeeth (Sunah, teachings of the prophet, pbuh) are considered the real and practical application of the Quran and the detailed explaination of it.

this small pamphelet have some good points, you may like to know about Islam

http://www.Islam-guide.com/

when ever you have a question you well find many brothers and sisters aiming to help here,

may Allah show you the truth way,

Thank you very much for your help. I plan to marry her as I knew that a relationships out side of marriage is agenst the princible of Islam and we have both refrained from any sort of sexual activity untill we are married. I plan to learn more about it and her uncle has said he would teash me more about the Quran aound the ways of Islam. I can not thank you all enough for helping me on my journey.

There are some practical implications too.

A Muslim can't inherit or leave anything from or to a non-Muslim.

Say good-bye to birthday parties.

Depending on where the family came from, the region or madhab can have huge side-effects regarding daily habits and rituals. So you can most probably say cheers to all parties.

Some families are so strict that you will have to remove all pictures with living creatures on them from the house as goes for non-religious music or art in general.

What can happen is that you will be monitored by the family to ensure a "good attitude" towards your new spiritual side.

I have had Muslim girl-friends and all of this has happened to me when talking to their family members. But as with so many things: it all depends....

There are some practical implications too.

Looks like a very dodgy claim. Need more elaboration.

I have had Muslim girl-friends and all of this has happened to me when talking to their family members. But as with so many things: it all depends....

I think those 'girl-friends' were not following Islam properly then .

Edited by Saracen21stC

Looks like a very dodgy claim. Need more elaboration.

Strange. I entered this into Google, it came back with 5 million results and this is what the first one said:

Assalamu alaikum,

The four schools of sunni Islam are agreed that a Muslim does not inherit from a non-Muslim.

Usama ibn Zayd (Allah be pleased with him) related that the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “A believer does not inherit from an unbeliever, and an unbeliever does not inherit from a believer.” [bukhari and Muslim]

Muwaffaq al-Din Ibn Qudama (d. 620 AH), the great Hanbali imam said in his work of comparative fiqh, al-Mughni (6: 4946)

“(A Muslim does not inherit from a non-Muslim, nor a non-Muslim from a Muslim…) The people of knowledge are in consensus that the non-Muslim does not inherit from a Muslim. The overwhelming majority of the Companions and jurists have said that the Muslim does not inherit from a non-Muslim. This is reported by Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali, Usama ibn Zaid, and Jabir ibn Abd Allah (Allah be pleased with them). It is the position of Amr ibn Uthman, Urwa, Zuhri, Ata’, Tawus, al-Hasan, Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz, Amr ibn Dinar, Thawri, Abu Hanifa and his companions, Malik, Shafi`i, and the fuqaha in general. And this is the acted on position… Ahmad said, “There is no difference among people [f: i.e. among the jurists] that the Muslim does not inherit from a non-Muslim.”

This is why Imam al-Tumurtashi stated, among the four things that prevent inheritance, “And difference in religion.” Imam al-Haskafi explained this as, "Between a Muslim and non-Muslim." [al-Durr al-Mukhtar `ala Tanwir al-Absar, 6: 727]

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani.

I think those 'girl-friends' were not following Islam properly then .

I don't judge people when it comes to religious practices. If you want to do that, fine.

^ Hmm. I am aware of that. But there are some other things additional to that ruling as well.

Q) As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatu

I have a question regarding inheritance. I found this

QA on Islam qa/shaykh munajid, and I am confused about

the last paragraph in his answer regarding the

difference in a will of a non-Muslim and inheritance

with a rule that a muslim can take less than one

third. Could someone please explain.

jazakum Allaahu khaira

Question:

I am a Muslim and my parents are not. They have

written in their will that whatever assets they have

will be divided between myself, my brother and my

sister (who are also not Muslims).

What is the Islamic ruling on inheritance for Muslims

whose parents are non-Muslim?

Answer:

Praise be to Allah.

A Muslim is not permitted to inherit anything of the

wealth of a non-Muslim relative, as the Prophet

(Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "The

believer does not inherit from a kaafir (disbeliever)

and the kaafir does not inherit from a believer."

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath 4283). According to

another report, he said: "The Muslim does not inherit

from a kaafir and the kaafir does not inherit from a

Muslim." (al-Bukhaari, 6764). The Messenger of Allah

(Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) also said:

"People who belong to two different religions do not

inherit from one another." (Reported by Abu Dawud in

al-Sunan, Kitab al-Faraa’id, and deemed hasan by

al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami‘, 7614) - because when

the ties of religion are cut, the ties of inheritance

are also cut, because the former is the basis of the

latter.

However, if a non-believer makes a will leaving

one-third or less of his wealth to his child (son or

daughter), one is entitled to take it, because this is

a will as opposed to inheritance according to a

non-Islamic system. This difference is well-known in

Islamic fiqh.

And Allah knows best

IslamQ&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-rahmat Ullaah.

1. The Prophet's (S) statement: "A Muslim does not inherit from a kaafir, and a kaafir does not inherit from a

Muslim," is a negating statement and not a prohibitive statement (Laa an-naafiyah and not laa an-naahiyah). It describes the common state of affairs, and not necessarily how things should be -- especially for the first part (see next point).

2. The first part of the Prophet's (S) statement cannot mean: "A kaafir is not allowed to give inheritance to a Muslim". Obviously, the Prophet's commands are only applicable to Muslims, and non-Muslims are not bound by them: Non-Muslims do not fulfill the basic requirements of faith, so how can we expect them to abide by what is based on faith?

3. Similarly, the limit that the Prophet (S) set for will allocations is only binding for Muslims. It is not conceivable that the Prophet (S) would command non-Muslims: "Do not allocate more than 1/3 of your estate to your Muslim relatives."

4. Based on the above, the Prophet's (S) statement: "A Muslim DOES NOT inherit from a kaafir" should not be interpreted as "A Muslim MAY NOT inherit from a kaafir". Furthermore, I do not know of any clear-cut "prohibitive" command in which the Prophet (S) said something to the effect: "A Muslim is not allowed to inherit from a non-Muslim."

5. Any "inheritance" given to a Muslim by a non-Muslim should be treated as a gift. The correct opinion among the `ulamaa is that it is (generally) permissible to take gifts from non-Muslims. Therefore, I do not see any reason to set a limit on what a Muslim may take from a non-Muslim's bequeathal.

For additional information on this, I suggest reading in my book: "Inheritance, Regulations & Exhortations".

Wallaahu a`lam (Allaah knows best).

Abu `Abdillaah Muhammad al-Jibaly

I don't judge people when it comes to religious practices. If you want to do that, fine.

In order to learn about Islam, it is better to know from practicing Muslims.

^ Hmm. I am aware of that. But there are some other things additional to that ruling as well.

If you knew all that, why call my statement a claim and why call it dodgy?

In order to learn about Islam, it is better to know from practicing Muslims.

Don't take this personal, but I find it more reliable to look at the Koran, the hadith and then the scholars.

I have discussions with Koran-teachers, Imams, Islam-scholars and just normal people. This has exposed me to the phenomenon of asking 4 Muslims a question and getting 4 different opinions.

If you knew all that, why call my statement a claim and why call it dodgy?

I asked for more elaboration. And that claimed 'looked' dodgy (not that it was actually very dodgy) because there are some other very important additional things related to that rule as well. That fatwa quoted above from Abu `Abdillaah Muhammad al-Jibaly, clarifies that.

Don't take this personal, but I find it more reliable to look at the Koran, the hadith and then the scholars.

I have discussions with Koran-teachers, Imams, Islam-scholars and just normal people. This has exposed me to the phenomenon of asking 4 Muslims a question and getting 4 different opinions.

I agree that looking at Koran, Hadith and then then scholars (who are/must be practicing Muslims) is reliable. And the 4 different opinions of 4 Muslims might not be unIslamic depending upon the context.

I asked for more elaboration. And that claimed 'looked' dodgy (not that it was actually very dodgy) because there are some other very important additional things related to that rule as well.

I agree that looking at Koran, Hadith and then then scholars (who are/must be practicing Muslims) is reliable. And the 4 different opinions of 4 Muslims might not be unIslamic depending upon the context.

In summary then: can a non-Muslim inherit from a Muslim or a Muslim from a non-Muslim?

In summary then: can a non-Muslim inherit from a Muslim or a Muslim from a non-Muslim?

In your first post you said,

I have highlighted the part which was unclear (at least to me). A Muslim can indeed get 1/3 or less part of wealth from the non-Muslim father if the father wishes to give. This will not be called as 'inheritance', but 'gift'. Generally, a Muslim may take 'gifts' from a non-Muslim if the non-Muslims want to give. It is necessary to know these things for a new Muslim, or else he/she might fall into serious financial difficulties.

Other than that, a non-Muslim can not inherit from a Muslim nor a Muslim can from a non-Muslim. See the fatwas for explanation.

Edited by Saracen21stC

I have highlighted the part which was unclear (at least to me). A Muslim can indeed get 1/3 or less part of wealth from the non-Muslim father if the father wishes to give. This will not be called as 'inheritance', but 'gift'. Generally, a Muslim may take 'gifts' from a non-Muslim if the non-Muslims want to give. It is necessary to know these things for a new Muslim, or else he/she might fall into serious financial difficulties.

Other than that, a non-Muslim can not inherit from a Muslim nor a Muslim can from a non-Muslim. See the fatwas for explanation.

Are you seriously telling me that we have wasted a week going back and forth all because you did not understand the concept I mentioned because you objected to my usage of the word "leave"???

i dont think its appropriate to convert to Islam just for the sake of your love and marrying that woman, embrace Islam by knowing and studying about the religion,

we have done every sin except intercourse, now we realise that all that we did was very wrong

Why would you call anything you do out of love for someone else and with a consenting adult a sin?

Why would it be wrong? Have you insulted or hurt anyone? Have you treated anyone with disrespect or lied to them?