Islamic Forum
male

Hate My Culture

I have a big problem in that I hate my culture. It has so many things to it which I dislike and do not want to have anything to do with. Most of all it is dull and uninspiring, focused solely on making money and getting ahead in career.

Just because it is my culture does it mean I have to follow it or can I abandon my culture?

Is it possible to make a new culture of my own for my nationality or is this against Islam and dishonoring ancestors?

PropellerAds

Need more description of your culture.

Basically, from day one you are told that your only purpose in life is to get a good job. At school this is more or less all that education is aimed around, gaining skills for employment. Peoples whole reason for being is their career, nothing much else.

What I would most like to know is if I have to keep this culture or can I make my own values to pass to my children and maybe even those around me?

Culture is only as important as the one that professes that culture. What i mean by that is that if you, who are living that culture hate it and see no value in it, and you feel it brings no good values to your life then ofcourse you can turn your back on it, that has nothing to do with being God-fearing or religious.

My culture dictates that women are lesser beings, their opinions dont count, that a woman is nothing without a man, so i have simply ignored what i do not like and kept what i do, i.e, looking after guests and being a good host and the importance of looking after the elderly. I suppose i have kinda created my own culture that I am happy living within and pass on to my children, and theres nothing wrong with that. I believe, that as long as you are god-fearing and god-conscious, culture is just life experiences wrapped up in bow and passed through generations. Take the best from it and discard the rest.

in origin, there is nothing wrong with rejecting the culture of our ancestors. In fact, this is one of the main reasons why people deviate from Allaahs Religion [i.e. the idols worshippers at the time of Muhammad [saw] only worshipped idols because of their forefathers - and same for all other religions]. Hence in Islaam, it is actually forbidden to follow our ancestors when it goes against Islaam.. and there are evidences in the Qur`aan for this if you want..

A better way to look at it is, primarily we should follow Allahs way of life [Deen] only. we do not need to follow any other way of life/guidance/culture as Allaah has already given us enough culture within Islaam. This is included in the meaning of Laa ilaaha illa Allaah - to reject any man made customs and tradition and to follow Allahs traditions [ie. islaam].

So after knowing what Allaah wants from us and what He prohibits, we can see if our ancestors match this.If their customs do not go against Islaam, it is permissible to follow it. If it goes against Islaam it is HARAAM to follow it and haraam to teach your children this. we are obliged to teach our children the values of culture of Islaam and anything else that Islaam permits.

From what you said about being career minded and making our main aim in life about getting a job etc, this mentality is from the disbelievers who do not work for the Hereafter. Getting a good career is permissible in Islaam, but it should not be our main goal in life or our identity. Our main goal is to worship Allaah and reach Jannah when we die.

Hope this helped

Edited by Israa`eel
  • Like 1

by the way, I assumed you are a Muslim but it doesnt say on the side which Religion who ascribe yourself to... are you Muslim..?

I have a big problem in that I hate my culture. It has so many things to it which I dislike and do not want to have anything to do with. Most of all it is dull and uninspiring, focused solely on making money and getting ahead in career.

Just because it is my culture does it mean I have to follow it or can I abandon my culture?

I hate my culture too? from what I know some of our customs (in our tribe) demand that if you want to marry you can only marry someone from your tribe (even if you both are of the same nationality). so if you're from the south marry only someone from the south and if you're from the north you can marry only someone from the north etc. But in Islam, our religion, you can marry anyone regardless of race, ethnicity, social status and age as long as he/she is a Muslim who also loves Allah and His Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam.

If a Muslim wants to marry he/she has to follow Allah's rules and the Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam, not those of some man-made culture or custom.

If you are in doubt about whether a custom/culture/tradition is haraam or halaal/okay to follow then go back to the Qur'an and Sunnah/tradition of the Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam and see if they go against Allah's rules. If they do (meaning they go against Islamic teachings/rulings) then abandon such custom and choose something that doesn't go against Islam.

Allah knows best.