Islamic Forum
DragonFlies

Why Would A Man Be Promised 72 Virgins...?

Assalamu Alaikum, brothers and sisters.

I am not a Muslimah, however I am studying Islam; there are many factors of Islam which make me wish to become a Muslimah, however I have many doubts which I feel need to be dispelled before I (if I ever) take my Shahada.

One of my questions is of a man's reward in paradise.

If a man truly loves his wife, and is only to have up to four in his earthly life, why would be be rewarded with 72 virgins in paradise? Surely, this reward seems to be one of the sexual nature; and nothing more. How could this be permitted...? I truly am curious. I'd hate to be married to an Islamic man, only to know that his reward in heaven would be a group of untouched women...

I'm just curious as to how a Muslimah views this. I can't imagine it not being bothersome for a wife to think about...

PropellerAds

Young sister, wa alykom alsalam wa rahmat Allah

General over view: that will generally help now and in the future inshaa Allah,

Islam is mainly to organize the human very life, to make it easier, more just and happier. Who will follow Islam will have, by the well of Allah, the real happiness and contentment in this life and the hereafter as well

You can compare Islamic beliefs/rules/values as a building which have, arranged by importance, foundations, pillars, reinforced floors, walls, windows, paints, curtains, ….. Now we may differ in choosing the paint of each one's walls while we can't in the foundations and pillars. Who suppose to tell this is a pillar and that's a curtain (which is called in Islam Extra works فضائل الاعمال ), they should be the guys who have better understanding in Islam, the scholars. How they will do this, mainly, based on the Quran and the Sunnah (which have different degrees of authenticity), and then comparisons القياس, the mere benefits of people المصالح, time and place....etc. Finally they have to provide a convincing explainations for the Moslems why is this and why is that.

I like to say, I'm asking Allah to make that , only, for his sake, not for any other reason.

72 virgins in paradise?

1- This information wasn't mentioned in the Quran, nor the most authentic Sunnah,

2- It's mentioned in some other books, all of them are through the one companion way (Mekdam ben Maady Karb مقدام بن معدي كرب ) which gives another point, some of those who narrate the Hadeeth told it's strange.

3- There are more Authentic Hadeeths in AlBukhary and Moslem, about the same situation for martyr الشهيد , " once he will die for the sake of Allah, his two wives of the Hoor Ayen will welcome him ….."

4- The women of this life either will be the Hoor in the paradise, or more beautiful than them, in Saheeh Moslem 7666, when one of the companion was severally injured in a battle, the companions told him make Doa he said " o Allah…... and make my mother among the Hoor Aeen…"

Finally, The laws of the second life are totally different than this very one, there will be no Jealousy nor envy, no cycle, no bee, ……..no time. Allah will provide every single person with the kinds of eternal entertainment, joy, happiness that will make him in no need for any other thing.

Sure, you have the right to ask and be answered, this is an obligation for Moslem, but I like you to put every issue in his right place and size, not to let the caring about the curtain' colors to cause you not to pay attention to the foundation and pillars.

may Allah show us the truth and allow us to follow it, Amen

• Like 2

I'm just curious as to how a Muslimah views this. I can't imagine it not being bothersome for a wife to think about...

Firstly it is important to note that Paradise is not like the world we live in now and we cannot even imagine it despite the descriptions given in the quran. There will be no jealousy or hatred and Allah tells us in the quran that our desires/wishes will be fulfilled:

They shall have all that they will desire with their Lord. That is the reward of Muhsinun (good doers) [75:34]

They is for men and women - so both men and women will have a chance to go to Paradise and Paradise won't be a place of injustice certainly not and we must trust in Allah because who better knows humans and their desires than the One who created us?

Making it to paradise should be our only concern because truly there men and women will be happy. Allah says in the quran :

Indeed the Hereafter is better for thee than the present (life of this world), and verily your Lord will give you all so that you may be well pleased. (93:4-5)

Indeed for muslimahs who believe in the word of Allah, the matter of virgins for men is not an important thing because we know that our desires will also be fulfilled and we know that Allah will make us happy and that being in Paradise is a reward so big we cannot even imagine it right now.

• Like 6

Alhamdulillah I've come to a much better understanding now! Thank you both very, very much for the information you've provided me. :) It's helped me greatly in coming to further understanding with Islam.

Assalamualikum,

I want to add some other verses of Qur'an regarding this issue,

Surah Tawba 9:72:

"Allah hath promised to Believers, men and women, gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah: that is the supreme felicity."

Surah Nahl 16:97:

"Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions."

Surah Ghafir 40:40:

"He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure."

Surah Nisa 4:124:

"If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them."

• Like 3

I just wana correct the first verse - I wrote the wrong reference it is actually 39:34 and not from chapter 75

Thanks to brother Saracen for noticing

• Like 1