Islamic Forum
DragonFlies

A Bit Of A Problem With Hijab...

Assalamu alaikum, brothers and sisters. :) I've not taken my shahada, as I'm still studying Islam and finding out how I feel about it, however I have been given the opportunity to attend a nearby Masjid in order to learn more about Islam and its people. It's a very small Masjid, only about thirty people attend it (as I live in a very rural area and there are few Muslims). Insha'Allah when I go to the Masjid, I want to be properly dressed and covered completely; aside from my face and my hands. I already have a hijab, and I've been learning how to wrap it in a fitting way- however, I've come across a problem.

I own about 10 scarves; none of them were originally intended to be hijabs, but they are all perfect for this occassion- they're all large enough. However, no matter how many different styles I try, I always feel as though the hijab is choking me about the neck! D: I want to wear it properly, without my neck showing- so I can't loosen it any more than I have, but I still feel uneasy around there. It's not PAINFUL or even dangerous by any means, it's just a bit uncomfortable. Have any other sisters had this problem? And are there any possible ways to "fix" it? I want to be presentable to the attendants of the Masjid when I go, because I think attending a Masjid in any other dress but hijab would be disrespectful.

Thanks! :D

PropellerAds

It might be that you are pulling it too tight when you bring it to the side and then over your head. I will message you some YouTube videos that helped me learn how to put it on and perhaps they will help you.

Also Muslims sisters often will buy a type of head covering like a bonnet which they put on their head before they put on their scarf that way your hair is definitely secure and your scarf can be a bit loser without showing your hair ..here is a pic of the bonnet thing I am talking about http://www.thehijabworld.com/images/products/MediumSize/white-lace-bonnet_637.jpg

And by the way I think they will be very impressed that you even made an effort to wear hijab so don't worry if it is not perfect maybe the sisters there will give you some tips! =) And hope you learn more about Islam by attending the Masjid inshaAllah

Sister, thank you very much for the advice! I'd actually watched some of those tutorials (and I'm a huge fan of Amenakin on youtube), but I always just kind of threw the idea of a bonnet to the side. My grandmother had one (for some odd reason), and I just tried wearing it beneath the hijab, and then pinning the hijab down at the top so that it stayed secure. And my problem was solved! I think what was happening was that my scarf was slipping on my hair, so I kept pulling it too tight around the neck, trying to get it to stay. But wearing the bonnet really did the trick! :DD Thank you sister!

Insha'Allah I learn very much attending the Masjid. :)

• Like 1

Another idea to prevent you from pulling it too tight would be to place your freehand under your chin as you're wrapping it to make sure there's a little bit of space :)

And how WAS your visit to the Masjid?

Hey there! :) I'm so sorry I couldn't answer for a while; I've been really stressing with schoolwork for the past week or so. (It's getting to the end of the year, and they're piling it on us, haha!) I haven't actually been to the Masjid yet; I'm actually going with another girl my age who's interested in Islam; and we plan on going in two weeks (as the Masjid is a bit of a drive and we've only just got our driving licsences). I actually asked the question about the hijab because, although it might seem sort of odd... I've been wearing it around the house, to get used to it. Because when I go to the Masjid, I want to be able to pay attention; not be fiddling with my hijab the whole time, haha. Thankyou for being interested, though! God willing, once I make the trip, I'll tell you about how it goes! :D Thank you sisters! :) Peace be to you!

• Like 1

It's not odd at all :) I did the same! I also wear it when I'm out shopping now, slowly but surely working up to full-time!