Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

Can Allah Communicate With Us Through Angels

As Salaam Alaykum

Ok so I have a question I was just thinking about...

So we know that Allah communicated to Mary through angels - is it possible that this happens to other people today?

PropellerAds

we alikum esalam

Good question, but as far as I remember, righteous people have some connection with Allah swt, as per the hadith that is by the meaning " if a slave comes close to Allah, Allah will be close to him "

its also reported that the prophet pbuh saw the angel with his original look, and in other forms like a human. And as far as I remember also, there could be angels around us in human forms or other forms like a bird for example, but the main point is, no one can never confirm that its an angel

Good question, but as far as I remember, righteous people have some connection with Allah swt, as per the hadith that is by the meaning " if a slave comes close to Allah, Allah will be close to him "

Actually, whether Allah is or can be close to us seems to be a hot topic for some reason. Anyway, ibn Kathir implies that it is impossible for Allah to be close to us, commenting on:

50:16. It was We Who created man, and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein

he writes:

Allah encompasses and watches all of Man's Activity

(And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein. ) means, His angels are nearer to man than his jugular vein. Those who explained `We' in the Ayah to mean `Our knowledge, ' have done so to avoid falling into the idea of incarnation or indwelling; but these two creeds are false according to the consensus of Muslims. Allah is praised and glorified, He is far hallowed beyond what they ascribe to Him. The words of this Ayah do not need this explanation (that `We' refers to ` Allah's knowledge'), for Allah did not say, ` and I am closer to him than his jugular vein. ' Rather, He said, (And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein. ) just as He said in the case of dying persons, (But We are nearer to him than you, but you see not . ) (56:85), in reference to His angels (who take the souls). Allah the Exalted the Blessed said, (Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr and surely, We will guard it . ) (15:9) Therefore, the angels brought down the revelation, the Qur'an, by the leave of Allah, the Exalted, the Most Honored. Thus, the angels are closer to man than his own jugular vein, by the power and leave of Allah. Consequently, the angel touches mankind, just as the devil touches them, for the devil is as close to them as the blood that runs in their veins; just as Allah's Prophet , who is truthful and was told the truth, told us. Allah's statement here, ((Remember) that the two receivers receive, ) in reference to the two angels who receive and record the deeds of mankind.

In his view, Allah never comes close to anyone, not even Muhammad. This, to me, is a great error, coming from over-defending against the opposite error that Allah becomes incarnate or indwells in creation. Please note, depending on how these terms are understood I can either agree OR DISAGREE with them: I can say that Allah never became man or dwells in creation.

For me, Allah is outside of creation, but also present with his Light; this Light which comes from Allah but also is Allah. (As the Quran - I am almost thinking 'holy' Quran, see I'm getting somewhere! - says, "Blessed are those in the fire") Hence the ambiguity, but I am being totally truthful: I can agree with the Islamic understanding of Allah, but treat it as logically one-sided. By being able to distinguish between Allah and his Light – a distinction in thought only because Allah can not be divided up and is a simple unity – we can discuss such questions as Allah’s remoteness and his nearness without falling into opposite errors.

Richard

PS. “It was We Who created man, and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein” - so the angels created man also did they? And I was told by Muslims that ‘We/Us/Our’ in the Quran could not include anything apart from plural of majesty. I can’t help but thinking of Christian polemics regarding ‘we’ being a veiled reference to a unity beyond comprehension …

Interesting stuff Eastern - you seem to like to read a lot of Ibn Kathirs work.

Well I would love to engage in discussion with you although I am not so knowledgeable on the subject myself. However, I can accept that Allah is not with us as in physically with us but my original question was in regards to communication through angels. We can communicate with others without being beside them take so its this that I am interested in. And I know that Allah is with us through His Knowledge.

And on the topic of Allah and His light I think the verse below is one that gets the mind thinking deeply

Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His light is as (if there were) a niche and within it a lamp: the lamp is in a glass, the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun-rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun-rays only in the afternoon, but it is exposed to the sun all day long), whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself), though no fire touched it. light upon light! Allah guides to His light whom He wills. And Allah sets forth parables for mankind, and Allah is All-Knower of everything. (24:35)

In his view, Allah never comes close to anyone, not even Muhammad. This, to me, is a great error, coming from over-defending against the opposite error that Allah becomes incarnate or indwells in creation. Please note, depending on how these terms are understood I can either agree OR DISAGREE with them: I can say that Allah never became man or dwells in creation.

I don't think you have understood what Nile_Salafy said nor what Ibn Kathir (rah) said. Ibn Kathir (ra) is speaking of actual physical closeness while Nile_Salafy is speaking of spiritual closeness which is a whole different matter.

Ibn Kathir (rah) obviously believes, like the rest of the Muslims, that somebody can be close to Allah (in the spiritual sense):

"Allah says, `Whoever performs a good deed, will have tenfold for it and more. Whoever commits a sin, then his recompense will be the same, unless I forgive. Whoever commits the earth's fill of sins and then meets Me while associating none with Me, I will give him its fill of forgiveness. Whoever draws closer to Me by a hand's span, I will draw closer to him by a forearm's length. Whoever draws closer to Me by a forearm's length, I will draw closer to him by an arm's length. And whoever comes to Me walking, I will come to him running.') Muslim also collected this Hadith. Know that there are three types of people who refrain from committing a sin that they intended. There are those who refrain from committing the sin because they fear Allah, and thus will have written for them a good deed as a reward. This type contains both a good intention and a good deed. In some narrations of the Sahih, Allah says about this type, "He has left the sin for My sake.'' Another type does not commit the sin because of forgetfulness or being busy attending to other affairs. This type of person will neither earn a sin, nor a reward. The reason being that, this person did not intend to do good, nor commit evil. Some people abandon the sin because they were unable to commit it or due to laziness, after trying to commit it and seeking the means that help commit it. This person is just like the person who commits the sin. There is an authentic Hadith that states,"

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=940&Itemid=61

People can be close to Allah:

(3:459. (Remember) when the angels said: "O Maryam! Verily, Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word from Him, his name will be Al-Masih, `Isa, the son of Maryam, held in honor in this world and in the Hereafter, and he will be one of those who are near to Allah.''

(96:19). Nay! Do not obey him. Fall prostrate and draw near (to Allah)!

These verses speak of spiritual closeness.

You need to distinguish what is the actual subject. You can't just pull out a quote from Ibn Kathir's (rah) tafsir because it has the word "close" and "close" is mentioned in this topic.

• Like 3

(Fall prostrate and draw near (to Allah)!) This is just like what has been confirmed in the Sahih of Muslim on the authority of Abu Salih who reported from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said,

«أَقْرَبُ مَا يَكُونُ الْعَبْدُ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَهُوَ سَاجِدٌ، فَأَكْثِرُوا الدُّعَاء»

(The closest that a servant can be to his Lord is when he is in prostration. Therefore, make abundant supplications (i.e., while prostrating).)''

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1104&Itemid=152

- says, "Blessed are those in the fire") Hence the ambiguity, but I am being totally truthful: I can agree with the Islamic understanding of Allah, but treat it as logically one-sided. By being able to distinguish between Allah and his Light – a distinction in thought only because Allah can not be divided up and is a simple unity – we can discuss such questions as Allah’s remoteness and his nearness without falling into opposite errors.

Hello, Richard

Allah tells in the Quran

فَلَمَّا جَاءهَا نُودِيَ أَن بُورِكَ مَن فِي النَّارِ وَمَنْ حَوْلَهَا وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ {النمل-8}

27-008 Y: But when he came to the (fire), a voice was heard: "Blessed are those (is this) in the fire and those (this) around: and glory to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.

i reviewed some of the tafaseers for this verse, the most common and direct meanings are:

* blessed who is/are in the fire (angles) and who is/are near the fire (Mosa') or vise vesa., since the word (m'n مَن), in Arabic, can indicate singular and plural as well.

* it can indicate also a place , and the meaning will be blessed the place of the fire and the place around it,. and this meaning is supported by many other verses in the Quran about the blessed vally near the blessed mountain in Sinai where Allah talked to Mosa' (pbuh). and i believe the bible tells the same about the blessings of this place.

who tells, who was in the fire was the god or the light of god is a very weak point of view from authintisty and Arabic text points of view, since it's not good to say " blessed he, who is in the fire (he's Allah), .....and glory to Allah, the god of the worlds"

To add an incident that happened to one great companion that would make it more clear on this topic

What happened to ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) is saheeh and is well proven. Naafi’ said that ‘Umar sent out a military detachment and he appointed a man called Saariyah in charge of them. Whilst ‘Umar was delivering the khutbah one Friday, he said, “O Saariyah, the mountain! O Saariyah, the mountain!” And they found out that Saariyah had moved towards the mountain at that moment on the Friday even though there was the distance of a month’s journey between them.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/12778