Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saracen21stC

Sri Lanka Government Orders Removal Of Dambulla Mosque

Sri Lanka government orders removal of Dambulla Masjid

_59759147_mosque.jpg Buddhist monks were also involved in the protestContinue reading the main story

Related Stories

Sri Lanka's government has ordered the removal of a Masjid from an area it says is sacred to the country's majority Buddhists.

The order comes two days after Buddhist monks led a crowd trying to storm the Masjid in the central town of Dambulla.

Prime Minister DM Jayaratne says the Masjid has simply been ordered to relocate to another part of the area.

But the incident has angered senior Muslim politicians.

The BBC's Charles Haviland in Colombo says this statement by the prime minister appears to have been issued in a hurry, a day before the various parties to this religious dispute were due to meet.

Buddhist monks in central Sri Lanka had threatened to demolish the Masjid next week if the authorities did not act first. A special meeting to discuss the issue appears to have been convened on Sunday, and this statement was produced.

The statement listed four prominent Muslims as present at Sunday's meeting agreeing to relocate the Masjid - but according to a weekly Muslim paper, three of them say they were not there.

Cabinet minister AHM Fowzie told the BBC he had not been to such a gathering. He added that it would be acceptable to request such a relocation but not to order it.

Another politician of the governing party, Azath Sally, said that even if the Masjid were illegal, people opposed to it should not "act like thugs".

"Do Tamils and Muslims not have a right to live in this country now?" he added.

Mr Jayaratne, who is also responsible for the affairs of the country's majority Buddhists, said he had ordered the Masjid to be removed from a sacred area in Dambulla and that it could be relocated to "a suitable place in the neighbourhood".

He described it as a Masjid which is in the process of being built and local Buddhists have reportedly said that a previously small structure is now being illegally expanded.

The chief of the Masjid told the BBC Tamil service the building was legal and was simply being refurbished.

Our correspondent says that whereas Sri Lanka's Muslim community normally shies away from confrontations with the government, this incident has angered some senior Muslims and prompted them to speak out.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17805202

Edited by Saracen21stC

PropellerAds

This was published at 20th april

20 April 2012 Last updated at 08:54 GMT

Sri Lankan Masjid forced to abandon prayers by protesters

_59759147_mosque.jpg Buddhist monks were also involved in the protest

A Masjid in Sri Lanka has been forced to abandon Friday prayers amid community tensions in the central town of Dambulla.

About 2,000 Buddhists, including monks, marched to the Masjid and held a demonstration demanding its demolition.

A Masjid official told the BBC he and several dozen companions were trapped inside and feared the crowd would destroy the building.

Overnight the Masjid had been targeted by a fire-bombing - no-one was hurt.

The BBC's Charles Haviland in Colombo says the tensions have been growing in the neighbourhood.

Shortly after the protest the Masjid was evacuated and its Friday prayers cancelled.

Many Buddhists regard Dambulla as a sacred town and in recent months there had been other sectarian tensions in this part of Sri Lanka, our correspondent says.

Last September a monk led a crowd to demolish a Muslim shrine in Anuradhapura, not far from Dambulla.

Buddhism is the religion of the majority of the population in Sri Lanka.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17781372

Edited by Saracen21stC

Overnight the Masjid had been targeted by a fire-bombing - no-one was hurt.

would MEDIA call this a Buddhist TERRORIST attack against peaceful MOSLEMS!!!!!

some thing seems non-familiar in the statement, for media, they can't call any religion/sect with "TERRORISM" but moslems, and they can't call Moslems as peacful as well, you know media protocols.

MEDIA: if we can make it that way " A peacful attack of the peacful Buddist monks against the terrorist moslems".....Oh it seems uncovered, a little bite,

OK, then, its, only, attack, normal attack (with fire-bombing ) for some reasonable reasons as they can see, against the moslems minority.

see you in the next episode of the peacful (any non-Moslem) attacks over the (non-peacful) Moslems,,,,your lovely un-biased non-controlled MEDIA

• Like 3

I dont know why you are getting all worked up about this, countless non Islamic buildings or symbols of worship are attacked by muslims.

Muslims dont even allow the construction of non Islamic buildings of worship in Islamic sacred sites.

If buddhists regularly all over the world attacked Masjids then yes they would be reffered to as terrorists, but they dont unlike muslims.

Try get some prospective here.

Yes i know the cry of Islam bashing and what ever will now go up and why are you even here when you dont want to learn blah blah etc, well i again find myself pointing out the double standards which muslims seem to find so acceptable.

I dont know why you are getting all worked up about this, countless non Islamic buildings or symbols of worship are attacked by muslims.

If Muslim do this to non-Muslims (that is non-Muslims build their place of worship in their land with their own money but Muslims destroyed it) in a Islamic country then this is wrong. I am against it.

Muslims dont even allow the construction of non Islamic buildings of worship in Islamic sacred sites.

Muslims live in Dambulla. They built it with their money. They did not suddenly move to that place for building Masjid. If this land was declared as sacred for Buddhists by the government even before Muslims living there, I would have accepted this stance.

If buddhists regularly all over the world attacked Masjids then yes they would be reffered to as terrorists, but they dont unlike muslims.

I want you to prove that only Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places. If you can't you are a plain liar. And Terrorism did not originate from Muslims. Many people of other faith/no faith have also terrorized peaceful humans. It is utter stupidity to blame all Muslims, or Buddhists, or even atheists for some wrong deeds conducted by some of them from these religions/non-religious group.

And if fire-bombing by Buddhists in a Muslim Masjid is not terrorism, then either you are mad or a hypocrite. So far, it is clearly the latter.

Try get some prospective here.

You need this.

Yes i know the cry of Islam bashing and what ever will now go up and why are you even here when you dont want to learn blah blah etc, well i again find myself pointing out the double standards which muslims seem to find so acceptable.

Double standard has been your your way of talking so far.

Edited by Saracen21stC

yes of course, isn't that what MEDIA showed you, then it's totally right

BTW, the Moslems who taught the world how to accept the other, but they began to practice it 1300 years after the Moslems. just compare the Moslem' roles after concoring Spain and the opposite after the christians concored it.

when Amro ibn Ala'as opened Egypt, the Roman Catholic christians were oppresing their cousins the Coptic Orthodox, the original Pope of Alexandria at the time was hiding in the weastrn desert. the Moslems who removed that opresion and gave every one his rights. you can see the original christian churchs since the time of Amr tell this time is gaurded by the Moslems.

DID YOUR MEDIA SHOWED YOU THAT??

simply, because their is no non-Moslams in the two sacred places in Makkah and Madeenah, while in Al-Quds, the Christian sites were under the protection of the Moslems all the time. when the second khalifah Omar (ra) opened the city and the pray' time came while he was inside the church, the priests asked him to pray in the church he said no, i'm afraid the Moslem may honor that place after me, which may lead them to take it. the prophet tells "who ever hurt a non-moslem citizen (moa'ahed-an معاهداً ) i will be his opponent, in the day of judgment". that's the Moslem prominent faith and culture.

WHAT IS THE MEDIIA TELLS ABOUT THAT???

If Buddhists regularly all over the world attacked Masjids then yes they would be reffered to as terrorists, but they don't unlike muslims.

sure there are a lot, specially in that area of the world. but the question i like to know his answer, when did this Msjid been built? and when the Buddhists discovered that is on their sacred land?

"DOUBLE STANDERDS", i like you to review the MEDIA dealing with the Oklahoma city TERRORIST ATTACK, in 1995, that what the media called it for two days, see the head lines, the articles, the shows, all tells one thing it's a TERRORIST ATTACK and caused by MOSLEMS..........once they discovered that the killer TERRORIST is not a Moslem,,,suddenlly the word TERRORIST been vanished and his sect never been told.

the Same with the Norway Attacks, MEDIA: OK guys we have to be fair let's not give any speculations in advance, and JUST WE WILL SAY IT'S THE EUROPIAN COPY OF 9_11,,,,,,,WOW, yes that's fair enough but isn't it more similar to Oklahoma city attack?!!!!

i have no idea if i were subjected to the global Media effects day and night what would be my responses, and you don't know if you been a Moslem any where, Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippine, Kashmir,.....what could be your response??

• Like 2

Another interesting article:

Mosque in central Sri Lanka targetted by hardline Sinhalese

Updated 24 April 2012, 22:19 AEST

Sri Lanka's Muslim community has accused radical Buddhists of trying to damage peaceful relations between the country's ethnic communities.

Mosque in central Sri Lanka targetted by hardline Sinhalese (Credit: ABC)

A group of Buddhist monks in central Sri Lanka have threatened to demolish a Masjid in a sacred area of Dambulla, in central Sri Lanka.

The Prime Minister has backed the monks, ordering the Masjid's removal.

It's raised concerns the government is pushing a nationalist Sinhalese agenda to divert attention away from the country's troubled economy ahead of the next election.

Correspondent: Kara Douglas

Speakers: Dr Ameer Ali, Vice President of the Regional Islamic Council of South East Asia and the Pacific; Lakshman Kiriella, Sri Lankan opposition MP; Dr Jehan Perera, National Peace Council spokesman.

DOUGLAS: Tensions between some members of the Buddhist and Muslim communities in central Sri Lanka came to a head when about two thousand Budhhists, including monks, marched to the Dambulla Masjid last week, demanding its demolition. The Masjid was later fire bombed. Prayers were cancelled but no one was hurt.

ALI: This threat to demolish the Masjid by a group of arch conservative monks is something that is concerning all right minded people in this country and if the government doesn't act soon on this, it's going to escalate.

DOUGLAS: Dr Ameer Ali is Vice President of the Regional Islamic Council of South East Asia and the Pacific. The Sri Lankan expat and Murdoch University academic believes the attack on the Dambulla Masjid is part of a wider trend.

ALI: There is a small group of people who are very fanatical and they are claiming that the country belongs to them and that no other community has a legitimate right to exist in this country, and the government should put its foot down and tell these monks that it's not the way. It's a plural society and every community, every religion, every icon must be respected.

DOUGLAS: The Sri Lankan Prime Minister, DM Jayaratne, has ordered the Masjid's removal, claiming it's an illegal building. But Masjid officials say it's been there for more than 50 years, well before the area was declared a sacred zone 20 years ago. The Sri Lankan opposition MP Lakshman Kiriella has accused the government of supporting extremists.

KIRIELLA: This is not Buddhist activity, these are fascists.

DOUGLAS: Mr Kiriella says if the Masjid was built illegally the government should resolve the issue in court.

KIRIELLA: The government must go through the papers and first see if this construction is illegal and if it is so, then they must file papers in court. You can't take the law into your own hands.

DOUGLAS: While most of Sri Lanka's Sinhalese majority are Buddhists, Muslims are regarded as the third ethnic group, after the mainly Hindu Tamils. Doctor Jehan Perera from Sri Lanka's National Peace Council believes the government is promoting a Sinhalese nationalist agenda to divert attention away from the country's economic woes.

PERERA: The government distracts the people with Sinhala nationalism and that gives pace to extremist groups among the Sinhalese people. It's just small because they don't do very well in the elections especially when they are not aligned to the government. When they contest by themselves they get less than 5 per cent of the vote, but it gives these Sinhalese extremist groups a special power so that they have a certain licence to do what they want and get away with it.

DOUGLAS: Dr Ameer Ali says Muslims also believe the government's motivation is political.

ALI: They are facing elections very soon so they want to divert the attention of the Buddhist community from the economic difficulties the country is facing. The economics of the country are in serious trouble, so they want to divert the attention on issues like religion so they can win the support.

DOUGLAS: The Sri Lankan Prime Minister issued a statement saying the removal of the Dambulla Masjid had the support of local Muslim MP's. But they've rejected the claim. Doctor Jehan Perera says the government risks losing the support of the Muslim community.

PERERA: They are putting a lot of pressure on the Muslim politicians who are in alliance with the government, who are part of the government, to take action. Unless the government takes some sort of remedial action, the government is going to have to pay a price because its support base among the muslims, who have been supportive of this government by and large, is going to erode.

DOUGLAS: Dr Ameer Ali says the issue could have a broader impact on peace in Sri Lanka, just three years after the end of the civil war.

ALI: It's a concern because we thought after the victory the Budhist, the majority community, will be magnaminous and they would approach the minority communities and solve their problems amicably and have serious negotiations, and that is not happening.

DOUGLAS: Sri Lanka's Muslim community has typically shied away from confrontations with the government. But Doctor Ali says the situation at the Dambulla Masjid should concern all Sri Lankans.

ALI: I think the Tamils, the Muslims, the Christians, the Muslims, the Hindus and the neutral Budhists must join together and raise their voice against this policy of the government and make them not to promote this sort of fanatical situation in the country.

DOUGLAS: Radio Australia was unable to contact Sri Lanka's Federation of Buddhist Organisations for comment.

Source: http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/radio/program/asia-pacific/mosque-in-central-sri-lanka-targetted-by-hardline-sinhalese/932870

"I want you to prove that only Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places. If you can't you are a plain liar. And Terrorism did not originate from Muslims. Many people of other faith/no faith have also terrorized peaceful humans. It is utter stupidity to blame all Muslims, or Buddhists, or even atheists for some wrong deeds conducted by some of them from these religions/non-religious group.

And if fire-bombing by Buddhists in a Muslim Masjid is not terrorism, then either you are mad or a hypocrite. So far, it is clearly the latter."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e00_1312296031

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Two-Christians-killed,-churches-burned:-extremists-respond-to-Florida-Koran-burning-21139.html

http://www.persecution.org/ethiopiacrisis/2011/03/14/inside-ethiopias-crisis/

http://www.newsrealblog.com/2011/03/09/the-new-egypt-muslims-burn-down-church-then-kill-the-protestors/

Do you wish more examples?

Dont know why you think western media is biased against muslims, half the #### muslims get up to dosent even make the news here, its only once you go online you get the true picture.

"

"DOUBLE STANDERDS", i like you to review the MEDIA dealing with the Oklahoma city TERRORIST ATTACK, in 1995, that what the media called it for two days, see the head lines, the articles, the shows, all tells one thing it's a TERRORIST ATTACK and caused by MOSLEMS..........once they discovered that the killer TERRORIST is not a Moslem,,,suddenlly the word TERRORIST been vanished and his sect never been told.

the Same with the Norway Attacks, MEDIA: OK guys we have to be fair let's not give any speculations in advance, and JUST WE WILL SAY IT'S THE EUROPIAN COPY OF 9_11,,,,,,,WOW, yes that's fair enough but isn't it more similar to Oklahoma city attack?!!!!

i have no idea if i were subjected to the global Media effects day and night what would be my responses, and you don't know if you been a Moslem any where, Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippine, Kashmir,.....what could be your response??"

You have referenced two attacks, how about the 18000 attacks by muslims since 2001?

Yeah the media jumped the gun twice, but if the shoe fits can you blame them?

Muslim media is even worse, i have watched clips and interviews on muslim TV channels and they make western media look like saints.

even al-jazera dosent say the same thing in arabic as it does in english.

So again come down to double standards, that said im not saying western media is perfect, far from it but its far more honest than muslim based countries media.

"I want you to prove that only Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places. If you can't you are a plain liar. And Terrorism did not originate from Muslims. Many people of other faith/no faith have also terrorized peaceful humans. It is utter stupidity to blame all Muslims, or Buddhists, or even atheists for some wrong deeds conducted by some of them from these religions/non-religious group.

And if fire-bombing by Buddhists in a Muslim Masjid is not terrorism, then either you are mad or a hypocrite. So far, it is clearly the latter."

http://www.liveleak....=e00_1312296031

http://www.asianews....ning-21139.html

http://www.persecuti...hiopias-crisis/

http://www.newsrealb...the-protestors/

Do you wish more examples?

You must be blind. I asked you to give evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places.

Dont know why you think western media is biased against muslims,

Simply because of not using the word 'terrorism' for people of other faith/no faith when they terrorize peaceful people.

half the #### muslims get up to dosent even make the news here, its only once you go online you get the true picture.

Give evidence of this claim.

Edited by Saracen21stC

"You must be blind. I asked you to give evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places."

I havent seen anything that shows any1 else that attacks holy places on a regular basis, but then thats not what i claimed.

I said muslim regularly attack etc, never said anything about any1 else.

"Give evidence of this claim. "

Im not trawling thro 1000's of articles to provide you evidance, i know what i get on the news here and what i dont, guess you will just have to take my word for it, not that you will ofc :)

Nothing to say about muslim media then, or the 18000 terrorist attacks since 2001?

"You must be blind. I asked you to give evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places."

I havent seen anything that shows any1 else that attacks holy places on a regular basis, but then thats not what i claimed.

I said muslim regularly attack etc, never said anything about any1 else.

Only you know what you mean by this! You yourself earlier posted this:

This post certainly begs the question, ''where is the evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places?''

"Give evidence of this claim. "

Im not trawling thro 1000's of articles to provide you evidance, i know what i get on the news here and what i dont, guess you will just have to take my word for it, not that you will ofc :)

Nothing to say about muslim media then, or the 18000 terrorist attacks since 2001?

18000 terrorist attacks by Muslims on non-Muslims since 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's toooooooooooooo much exaggerated. Anyway, I will help you more. I will accept stats from BBC. So, make sure that article(s) from BBC support you stats and claims as well.

Edited by Saracen21stC

I did state earlier that not everything is covered by our "biased western media".

As for the BBC there so politically correct they refer to muslims as asians.

"This post certainly begs the question, ''where is the evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places?''.

Stop asking that stupid question. Dont even know what you are expecting from that question.

I did state earlier that not everything is covered by our "biased western media".

I see .If this is the case then anyone can blame without giving evidence. If you blame someone you need to give clearcut evidence. Or else even you can be blamed of a crime and we can say 'media did not cover it'.

And you have already shown that what a biased western (liar) you are! All from West are not like this but a good number of them are.

As for the BBC there so politically correct they refer to muslims as asians.

That a clear lie. My original posts were from BBC and the word 'Muslim' exist there instead of 'Asian'. Stop lying!

http://www.gawaher.c...e/#entry1257626

"This post certainly begs the question, ''where is the evidence that ONLY Muslims regularly all over the world attacked holy places?''.

Stop asking that stupid question. Dont even know what you are expecting from that question.

You yourself posted that, 'If buddhists regularly all over the world attacked Masjids then yes they would be reffered to as terrorists, but they dont unlike muslims.''

So, this certainly begs the question that where is the evidence that only Muslims regularly all over the world attacked Holy places.

It is better to admit that you made a horrible error there. But I do not expect truth to come out from a liar like you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks

Im sure wikipedia is not acceptable source for you, but heres a taster.

"And you have already shown that what a biased western (liar) you are! All from West are not like this but a good number of them are."

Yawn...so i dont see the world thru Islamic tinted glasses, i dont see conspiracys every where, i dont think the worlds media is out to get me, or any1 else for that matter and that makes me a liar does it?

I watch the BBC news just about every night, I know what get's said during the broadcast.

Just where did i say only muslims?...where?

The deflect tactic is getting boring now.

And just to clear things up feel free to show examples of non muslims all over the world regularly attacking holy buildings or sites.

Oh and ill admitt to starting to think your stupid, i really have no idea where ur getting this "only muslims" from.

http://en.wikipedia....rrorist_attacks

Im sure wikipedia is not acceptable source for you, but heres a taster.

Same garbage from you . That article does not meet the criteria needed to be classified as reliable. The wikipage itself says that.

And no citation was given to that 18000 Islamic terrorism on non-Muslims claim. As long as evidence is not given from reliable sources like BBC, you are a liar.

"And you have already shown that what a biased western (liar) you are! All from West are not like this but a good number of them are."

Yawn...so i dont see the world thru Islamic tinted glasses, i dont see conspiracys every where, i dont think the worlds media is out to get me, or any1 else for that matter and that makes me a liar does it?

Must be drunk. I have already shown you why you are a liar as you claim many things without giving reliable evidences. Then obviously, defending lies with other lies.

I watch the BBC news just about every night, I know what get's said during the broadcast.

The original articles I have posted are all from BBC. The Muslim name clearly exists there. But such pathetic liar ''can't see'' this.

Just where did i say only muslims?...where?

You yourself posted that, 'If buddhists regularly all over the world attacked Masjids then yes they would be reffered to as terrorists, but they dont unlike muslims.''

This is same as saying only Muslims regularly all over the world attacked other religious places.

The deflect tactic is getting boring now.

You are the one who has been using this. And it is certainly boring.

Oh and ill admitt to starting to think your stupid, i really have no idea where ur getting this "only muslims" from.

If you want to insult others at least type properly, and use English grammar. You show your own stupidity when you yourself make lots of mistakes but try to insult others. And the rest has been already answered numerous times!

Edited by Saracen21stC