Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saracen21stC

Newcastle Boss Pardew Considers Introducing Prayer Room

We must embrace religion, says Newcastle boss Pardew as he considers introducing prayer room

By Bob Cass

PUBLISHED: 22:35 GMT, 5 May 2012 | UPDATED: 22:35 GMT, 5 May 2012

Newcastle are ready to unleash the power of prayer on the Premier League, with plans for a dedicated religious room for three key players who have lit up their season.

Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa are devout Muslims and they could play a key role on Sunday when Newcastle host Manchester City with the dreams of both clubs in the balance. United want to secure a berth in Europe and City want to clinch their first title since 1968.

Manager Alan Pardew believes the beliefs of his top stars have been a major contribution to the team’s success, so much so that he has explored the possibility of creating prayer rooms at the training ground and St James’ Park.

‘It’s something I’ve discussed with club secretary Lee Charnley as I think it’s important,’ he said. ‘We look after the players and their religious backgrounds.

‘Even at the stadium, it’s not an ideal situation. It’s something we’re looking at. Religion plays an important role for some of our players.

‘You have to respect that some players have a different religion to most of the footballers in this country. We need different facilities for them. It’s important that whatever the religion, we take care of it and understand it.’

Devout Muslims: Senegalese pair Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba are religious

Dedicated prayer rooms are not new in English football although they are few and far between, and the Premier League’s first multi-faith prayer room inside a stadium was unveiled only four years ago at Blackburn. That was as much in response to the multicultural make-up of the local population as to the demand from players.

Changes: Alan Pardew has discussed the idea of introducing a prayer room at Newcastle's training ground

Bolton also have a prayer room, as do Manchester City who have four practising Muslims in their first-team squad — Yaya and Kolo Toure, Edin Dzeko and Samir Nasri.

Other Premier League stars sharing their faith include Ali Al-Habsi of Wigan, Arsenal’s Marouane Chamakh, Salomon Kalou of Chelsea and Stoke’s Mamady Sidibe, while others have Muslim family members. Arsenal’s Robin van Persie, for example, is married to a Muslim of Moroccan heritage, Bouchra Elbali.

But all eyes will be on Newcastle scoring sensation Cisse today, especially after the Senegal striker took his tally to 13 goals in 12 games with what has been acclaimed as the goal of the season against Chelsea last Wednesday.

Pardew’s pastoral care for the players, who make up the top flight’s surprise package, is evident. Cisse is still learning English, but it’s improving. ‘I’m having the odd conversation with him now — he’s getting there,’ said Pardew.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1u5kVTwTu

• Like 1

PropellerAds

It's all well and good to see players of this level spoken about on the basis of their faith- but let's be careful how some media use the word 'devout'.

I am sure some practice and observe the Islamic commands (salah, fasting etc as is evident I know from Demba Ba) but just because they are labelled as Muslims does not always mean they are practicing.

The article mentions Van Persie's wife- so she has a background rooted in Morrocco so technically is a Muslim- but again, for some it is just a tag..we don't want to start thinking all of a sudden these certain people are upholders of Islam and its values/principles.

http://football-addi...s-in-formentera

• Like 1

Demba Ba now off to Chelsea. Anelka was the last Muslim player there. I'm very happy for him

Demba Ba now off to Chelsea. Anelka was the last Muslim player there. I'm very happy for him

He will miss his fellow Muslim, Cisse.

But I hope he (Ba) continues to enjoy success and I am happy for him too- at 27 he should fulfil more of his ambition and earn the money he deserves.

I am surprised no other team fought for his signiture as I would have loved to see him at Spurs!

Edited by The Doc

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dot
      If he's good enough for you, he's good enough for me.. he scores another few, I'll be Muslim too..
      If he's good enough for you, he's good enough for me.. he's sitting in the mosque, that's where I wanna be.

• By MahnoorMalik
      To Allah belongs the beautiful names and pleases Him when His worshippers invoke Him by these names. The names of Allah are Asma-ul-Husna and encode His grandeur and magnanimity which reflects His majestic omnipotence. One such name of Allah is Haseeb, which linguistically means the one who will commence judgments and bring equality. All the beautiful and splendid names that belong to the Exalted lord are enlisted in Quran as well, at one place it has stated:

“Those who convey the messages of Allah and fear Him and do not fear anyone but Allah. And sufficient is Allah as
      Accountant” [33:39]

99 names of Allah and Muhammad is one such App that incorporates all the names of Allah Almighty and Last messenger along the blessings and virtues that each particular name holds. The significance of these names is that they fulfill one of the vitality of supplication etiquette's, which asks the followers to call upon Allah through divine names.

• By sunnymaboy
      In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most merciful.

'Salam, brothers and sisters. I have a (somewhat) important question. This might probably seem a bit foolish to ask, but it's been nagging me in the back of my mind. A few days ago, I was browsing around and i came to a Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-NO-to-Football-Football-is-Haram-in-Islam/144140479011054. The page states that football is Haram in Islam, and it's description states the reasons: 

"10 reason why Football is haraam
      the world cup is haraam for many reasons. but since 10 is an important and serious number; id give you ten reasons. they are:

1. men displaying their awrah (hedhun laigen oriyaamun, as our beloved mullahs would/should put it). behaving in ways which can provoke sexual desires of women and gay men. immodesty.

... 2. supporting kafir nations like the evil america and portugese!?! this is unacceptable. imitating the kuffaar is common during worldcups. wearing their jerseys, flags and copying their hairstyles. then there are the vuvuzelas. obviously it is not really a 'musical' instrument, but it is part of south african kafir culture and made in kafir communist china!

3. people watching football even when it is prayer time. just like music is haraam for being an 'idle waste of time'. a friend told me there were only two rows in their neighbourgood Masjid when the game was on. i told him even those few people could problyy be the hardcore supporters of some team praying for victory.

4. too much female skin. there are the football fan chicks and cheerleading gals - flashing once in a while. yeah, this is the only time you get to see a naked boob on maldivian national television. and therez the waka waka song. it is straight from hell. what moves. what the shakira! masha Allah! i mean, naoozbillah.

5. people waste a lot of money buying TVs,sound systems (to 'listen' to worldcup yeah), setting up screens, decorating rooms,buying airtel dish (which is also haraam for showing christian channels),buying a lot of food,buying calendars, books,stickers...etc. such waste of money are always haraam.

6. media and some local companies have started betting on these games in the name of sms lucky draw quiz. more haraam activities.

7. people stay late to watch football. its a cause for being late for work, and sometimes causes you to miss dhamunamaadhu and fajr prayer. and staying up late for such an evil activity and missing prayers because of that is totally unacceptable. it is leading you astray. haraam again.

8. mixing of men and women at the football stadium and places (public screens and even rooms) where people watch the matches. we can hear women laughing and screaming too.calling out names of football players. astaghfirullah.

9. the world cup is sponsored by greedy kafir capitalist corporations who probably have connections with the freemasons and all. you are helping them. boycott worldcup and boycott cocacola too.

10. it does not follow the saudi fatwa on rules for halal football."

Now, I was in between vaguely amused and mildly confused by these statements, so I decided to share this with you. Additionally, this page is a small one and hasn't been active since 2012, but nevertheless, does this hold a shred of truth? I'm a huge football fan and would love some feedback. Thanks in advance. 
    • Guest Bratpfanne
      By Guest Bratpfanne
      Salam Aleykum.

I am new here, I live in the UK and I am 21 ! I am interested in Islam and I am here to get more informations about the Islam. I am a bit scared to learn more about it because I think it is always dangerous to be a Muslim in the UK, because all these terror stories some people think every Muslim is the same, but I don't think that! I searched for a Masjid to go near my City and in my City but these Masjids doesn't reply.

When I lived in Germany ( I live in the UK since over a year ) I had a Circumzision but when I wanted to go in a Masjid to become a Muslim I moved to the UK. After a while I lost the believe a bit because here is no Masjid and muslims who would help me on my way! My fiancee is british and not religious so she cant help me too and she doesn't like it anyway. Well, my questions are now :

1. Does this website got something like a chat or message box where people can write to me and I can write to people ? Or is it really just the Forum ?

2. Are here people from UK maybe Hampshire ?

3. How should I deal with discrimination if I would become a Muslim ?

4. I want become an Officer or Soldier in the UK so I am kind of scared that I can't do this job as a practising muslim ?

5. Is that a Problem that my fiancee is a non-muslima and that she doesn't give much about the Islam ?

6. Do I can become a Muslim without going to a Masjid ? ( I would like to go to a Masjid to learn the Quran but I don't think that here is a Masjid who accept me, I searched but couldn't find one )

7. Would the Muslim community accept me ? Not long ago people tried to burn down the Masjid in my city, so maybe the muslim community don't like " westerners ".

8. I am a newbie so it would be nice if somebody could maybe write to me and help me a bit with the website and with my way to Islam, I am not sure I am doing the right thing ?

well, I hope I didn't asked too many questions and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

• By Saracen21stC
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-k7CiPKwb0

Credit goes to the uploader