Islamic Forum
StopS

Why Are Muslims So Suspicious Of Science?

Yes, I agree with your explanation. What makes it interesting is that Muslims had a head start 1000 years ago due to the Arab Golden Age, For some reason they left it to the Christians, Jews, etc to continue and the Muslim Arabs just stopped after they were thrown out of Spain, Italy and Near Asia. I still do not know for sure what exactly happened there.

I think that inter-cultural mixing plays an enormous role here. Isolated tribes don't develop and the more interaction there is, the faster the development. Which explains the extremely rapid pace over the last 200 years in the industrialised countries. And yes, it seems it's always a combination of factors. I just wish I knew what exactly these factors are....

From http://www.myoutbox.net/posass.htm

"Duell presents statistics showing the growth in the number of patents from 435 in 1837 to 25,527 in 1899. In the one year between 1898 and 1899 there was an increase of about 3,000. It's hardly likely that he would expect a sudden and abrupt ending to patent applications."

Makes you wonder what was different from 1837 to 1899 that spurred inventions and innovations in the US at least during this time frame. The growth of patents have not declined sense then. From my personal view, each time God has sent someone knew to guide mankind (or a specific people) to the Light, knowledge increases. This explains the Islamic Golden Age for the years following the Revelation to the Seal of the Prophets.

If you look back at the Roman Empire, its historical Golden Age coincided with that of Jesus. It did not end until the fall of the Roman Empire, which began not long after council of Nicaea. What happened at the council of Nicaea? Christianity was forever changed by this council. Did something similar happen in Islam? Some historians believe the switch to requiring taqlid (imitation) in favor of ijtihad (independent reasoning) began the decline within Islam. Today, only the Hanbali school focuses on ijtihad. Because the art of ijtihad was neglected for so long, those who believe in using ijtihad versus taqlid are having great difficulty in promoting their beliefs and are the largest funders of modern "Islamic" militant groups today. Such funding comes mostly from Saudi Arabia and through the Dar al-Hadith schools. They have led to a resurgence of Islam, which is not wrong, but due to the conflicting nature of the taqlid debate, issues occur. Muslims have gotten so used to "scholars" teaching Islam, that even ijtihad is framed within taqlid. All the debates we have about Shari'ah, terrorism, the caliphate, etc. can all be traced to the modern expression of this debate. Islam is in the midst of trying to rediscover itself and the Golden Age it once had.

I personally believe we are in a Golden Age or on the verge of one. Knowledge has expanded profoundly, our awareness of the world and its unity is developing. :) It is the spirit of the age. The world's religions are slowly merging in belief, although the outward practices still differ. Monogamy is the norm. Slavery is an illegal institution everywhere. Nations consult each other over solutions to civil wars, such as with Libya and Syria. This never happened before. All of us just have to keep working towards the betterment of mankind and God will continue working His Will. :)

From http://www.myoutbox.net/posass.htm

"Duell presents statistics showing the growth in the number of patents from 435 in 1837 to 25,527 in 1899. In the one year between 1898 and 1899 there was an increase of about 3,000. It's hardly likely that he would expect a sudden and abrupt ending to patent applications."

Makes you wonder what was different from 1837 to 1899 that spurred inventions and innovations in the US at least during this time frame. The growth of patents have not declined sense then. From my personal view, each time God has sent someone knew to guide mankind (or a specific people) to the Light, knowledge increases. This explains the Islamic Golden Age for the years following the Revelation to the Seal of the Prophets.

If you look back at the Roman Empire, its historical Golden Age coincided with that of Jesus. It did not end until the fall of the Roman Empire, which began not long after council of Nicaea. What happened at the council of Nicaea? Christianity was forever changed by this council. Did something similar happen in Islam? Some historians believe the switch to requiring taqlid (imitation) in favor of ijtihad (independent reasoning) began the decline within Islam. Today, only the Hanbali school focuses on ijtihad. Because the art of ijtihad was neglected for so long, those who believe in using ijtihad versus taqlid are having great difficulty in promoting their beliefs and are the largest funders of modern "Islamic" militant groups today. Such funding comes mostly from Saudi Arabia and through the Dar al-Hadith schools. They have led to a resurgence of Islam, which is not wrong, but due to the conflicting nature of the taqlid debate, issues occur. Muslims have gotten so used to "scholars" teaching Islam, that even ijtihad is framed within taqlid. All the debates we have about Shari'ah, terrorism, the caliphate, etc. can all be traced to the modern expression of this debate. Islam is in the midst of trying to rediscover itself and the Golden Age it once had.

I personally believe we are in a Golden Age or on the verge of one. Knowledge has expanded profoundly, our awareness of the world and its unity is developing. :) It is the spirit of the age. The world's religions are slowly merging in belief, although the outward practices still differ. Monogamy is the norm. Slavery is an illegal institution everywhere. Nations consult each other over solutions to civil wars, such as with Libya and Syria. This never happened before. All of us just have to keep working towards the betterment of mankind and God will continue working His Will. :)

"each time God has sent someone" not for 200000 years. As interaction increases, so does progress and development. Isolation results in stagnation. The ancient Brasilian aboriginal Piraha tribe has no concept of god and no development either. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/04/16/070416fa_fact_colapinto

The Arab Golden Age (remember there were atheist, Christian, Jewish, etc Arabs, not just Muslims) was due to open, unrestricted research and hard work. The great achievements then have not continued and Muslims today are suspicious of science (http://www.gawaher.com/topic/738954-why-are-muslims-so-suspicious-of-science/).

Christianity was changed at every council. It was the start and the religion with its dogma had not really taken shape yet.

Funny you should mention this: I interviewed the head of IRFI to get his approach to this for the Jinn&Tonic Show and invited him as panel member to provide factual information from the Muslim's point of view:

THE IslamIC RESEARCH FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL (IRFI),

Is soliciting individuals and Organizations to become joint sponsors or Cosponsors of The Second International Conference On

Islamic Renaissance

The Objectives of the Conference are to find practical solutions (a Road Map) or Strategies to solve the problems facing the Muslim Community in the 21st Century.

Preamble: There is no DOUBT that Muslims are backward in all facets of life. This conference seeks practical solutions for the upliftment of Muslim Ummah and how to Revive the Golden Age of Islam in this 21st century. The areas of interest are: 1. Education 2. Economics and Finance 3. Science and Technology 4. Religion 5. Medicine and Health

1. Submit Abstracts (300 words Max). Deadline: June 30, 2012

2. Notification of acceptance and invitation to submit full paper-July 15, 2012

3. Full Paper due: December 15, 2012

Please submit the Abstract and Full written paper in Microsoft word document and lecture presentation will be only in Microsoft PowerPoint Format.

http://www.irfi.org/IRFI_Conference.htm

So, yes, I totally agree with you and would welcome a change in tactics of the Muslim world.

While slavery is formally illegal, it still exists. Have you seen the CNN anti slavery drill? I loved the drive by the Egyptians and how countries like Qatar reacted. And I hope the UN is in a position to leave Afghanistan soon, so that if a crazy maniac such as Saddam Hussein invades Kuwait, the international community can take a joint decision the way you outlined to act.