Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saracen21stC

Full-Face Veiled Mother Is Turned Away From Parents’ Evening

Mother is turned away from parents’ evening because she refused to remove full-face veil

• Maroon Rafique missed an important talk concerning her son's university education because she would not remove the niqab

By Jaya Narain

PUBLISHED: 16:27 GMT, 24 June 2012 | UPDATED: 01:10 GMT, 25 June 2012

A mother was turned away from a parents’ evening because she was wearing a full-face veil.

Maroon Rafique, 40, was told that for the security and safety of children and teachers at the college there was a ban on any type of face coverings.

She was warned that unless she removed her full-face covering, known as the niqab, she would not be allowed into the college to attend.

Embarrassed: Maroon Rafique was turned away from a college parents' evening because she was wearing a veil

In the end, a stunned Mrs Rafique was forced to call her husband, who took her place and went with their son Awais, 18.

Mrs Rafique, who has worn the niqab for seven years, said: ‘I’m born in this country and British. Why should what I wear offend anyone? I didn’t want to make any fuss.

All I wanted was to find out the information to help my son go to university.

‘I offered to sit at the back or at the front, anywhere where I wouldn’t be seen, if they thought I was going to offend anyone.

‘I was really upset because whenever I’ve visited the college before there’s never been a problem, in fact the tutors have been welcoming and friendly.’

Mrs Rafique, of Whalley Range, Manchester, had been invited to attend the parents’ evening and talk about her son’s education at The Manchester College.

But when the mother of two arrived she was apprehended by security staff in the lobby of the college’s Northenden campus.

Mrs Rafique, who is married to double-glazing firm boss Abdul, 40, and has a younger son, Ibrahim, 12, said she felt humiliated.

article-0-13BF3326000005DC-19_634x432.jpg

Apprehended: Mrs Rafique was refused entry to The Manchester College by senior staff who told her there was a ban on face coverings

She added: ‘I do get abuse every now and again in the street, which I just have to deal with. However, I was very surprised when I was treated this way by the college.’

Business student Awais, 18, who hopes to take an accountancy course at Manchester University, said: ‘It was really embarrassing when they told her she couldn’t come in. We’ve never, ever been told about any rule about what parents can wear.’

A spokesman for The Manchester College said Mrs Rafique’s concerns were being taken ‘very seriously’ following the incident.

She added: ‘The Manchester College provides a safe and inclusive environment that fosters development and achievement. We apply a single dress code to all college users, including learners and visitors.

‘At all times we need to be able to identify all individuals easily in order to maintain safety and security, and therefore we ask that faces are clearly visible while indoors.

Our dress code is reviewed through our quality improvement group and we will take this situation into account at the next review.’

In March, a Muslim woman was barred from serving on a jury because she refused to remove her niqab.

The judge said she could not sit on an attempted murder trial because the niqab concealed her facial expressions.

And last year, France imposed a total ban on the full-face veil, introducing fines for anyone who breaks the law.

PropellerAds

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By happy spirit
      The history of the messengers: Moses
      The killing of the sons of Mosesnation
      The children of Israel carefully considered what had been said among themselves, generation after another, about Prophet Abraham (pbuh): that from his descendants there would emerge a boy who would cause the fall of the king of Egypt. This news was so well-known among the children of Israel that it reached the Pharaoh, after being mentioned to him by some of his princes. As a result and a precautionary measure, Pharaoh ordered that the sons of the children of Israel be killed to prevent such a boy from ever existing. Under the rule of Pharaoh, the children of Israel lived in oppression and injustice. {Verily, Fir’aun (Pharaoh) exalted himself in the land and made its people sects, weakening (oppressing) a group (i.e. Children of Israel) among them, killing their sons, and letting their females live. Verily, he was of the Mufsidûn (i.e. those who commit great sins and crimes, oppressors, tyrants, etc.).{ (Al-Qasas:4)
      Allah wanted to bless the besieged children of Israel. 5. And We wished to do a favour to those who were weak (and oppressed) in the land, and to make them rulers and to make them the inheritors, 6. And to establish them in the land, and We let Fir’aun (Pharaoh) and Hâmân and their hosts receive from them that which they feared.(Al-Qasas:5-6)
      The story of his birth and upbringing
      Pharaoh was extremely careful in ensuring that Moses would not be born, to the extent that he ordered his minions and midwives to circulate and ask pregnant women about their due dates; so the moment a male was born, he was immediately slaughtered by his butchers. However Allah wanted to show Pharaoh, Haman and their soldiers that which they feared, and when the mother of Moses gave birth to him, she knew she had to dispose of him or he would be slaughtered. {And We inspired the mother of Mûsa (Moses), (saying): “Suckle him [Mûsa (Moses)], but when you fear for him, then cast him into the river and fear not, nor grieve. Verily! We shall bring him back to you, and shall make him one of (Our) Messengers.”}(Al-Qasas:7)

https://www.path-2-happiness.com/en/the-path-to-happiness-messengers-and-prophets-the-history-of-the-messengers-moses
    • By happy spirit
      What is happiness?
      What, then, is this happiness, and how does one achieve happiness?!
      Happiness is the constant feeling of elation, tranquility, generosity and joy. This feeling of contentment comes as a result of always having three states: one’s self being in a good state, one’s life being good, and expecting that one’s final abode will be good.
      With regards to these three states, man starts by asking questions about the self. These questions grow larger as he grows older, and he does not find happiness until he answers the questions which come to his mind:
      • Who owns this universe and controls all its affairs?
      • Who created me and created this universe around me?
      • Who am I? Where do I come from? Why was I created?
      Where will my destiny take me?
      https://www.path-2-happiness.com/en/all-people-are-looking-for-happiness-so-where-is-the-path
    • By SadiqIbnUmar
      Al-salamu alaikom wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuh,
      Myself: I am a simple man just enjoying the gifts of Allah (SWT). Alhamdulillah, I spent so many years in darkness and I now am able to live in the light and truth of Allah (SWT). I am on a journey to strengthen my deen. 
      Fi aman Allah
      Sadiq
    • By dot
      If he's good enough for you, he's good enough for me.. he scores another few, I'll be Muslim too..
      If he's good enough for you, he's good enough for me.. he's sitting in the mosque, that's where I wanna be.