Islamic Forum
paula

My Husband Wants A Divorce Because I Became A Muslim.

I am a new Muslim. I am at a loss as to who to talk to. I called the local Masjid and have had no response.Who do I turn to? My husband wants a divorce because I said shahada, he said I am an enemy of God and country!! I need a woman to talk to! What can I do? I don't have money for a lawyer, I don't know where I will live. I took over a year to make this choice. What now?

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum sister. Peace be upon you. Congratulations on finding Islam, I'm sorry that it isn't going easy for you. I understand the difficulties, my family is Islamophobic as well.

I will talk to you if you wish, I don't know how much help I will be with this subject (I am a 20-year old convert, unmarried). Please email me at amandajacz[at]yahoo.com (put Islamic Forum in the subject). We can discuss further contact from there if necessary.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

Assalamu Alaikum sister

Sorry to hear what you are going through. If you can post some more information like location, we might have a sister here in the same location who might be able to help you out.

May Allah swt find a way out of this for you.

Assalam alaykum. I live in Richmond, and while I am not married or anything like that, I'd be willing to talk with you and try to help insha'Allah. I'm still a very new revert myself so I am learning, but I can tell you that I understand people who think like your husband does. Take heart because you are no enemy of Allah, but rather one of his blessed followers.

If you wish to contact me here or off the forums at nightingale.dreamz00[at]gmail.com, I can offer what support I can. Just always remember, we are not enemies of God and we are also not an enemy of the USA either.

• Like 1

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I know this information might be coming to you at a bad point in life. However, it is unlawful for a Muslim woman to be married to a non-Muslim in Islam.

The ideal situation would be for you to call your husband to Islam. If he converts, that would be the ideal situation. So you should start there.

If that does not work, you should consider getting married to a Muslim man. Get in contact with Masjids and try to find a solution. If your husband divorces you in any case, this is what you sould do.

If that is not possible for some reason, then you should excercise patience and ask pray to God for a solution.

You should pray to God for a solution whether the situation looks bad or good.

May God make it easy for you.

Sorry, but I don't understand the question. You say you thought about this for over a year and yet you never thought about the consequences?

In over a year you never saw fit to talk to your husband and ask how he felt about this?

What kind of help do you expect? Do you think any magic will occur and everything will be dandy?

You are an adult and have taken a decision for whatever reason and now you act surprised. Instead of taking the responsibility squarely on your shoulders, you now try and get outsiders to tell you what to do?

You need to take a decision: what is more important: your life here and now or an afterlife?

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I know this information might be coming to you at a bad point in life. However, it is unlawful for a Muslim woman to be married to a non-Muslim in Islam.

The ideal situation would be for you to call your husband to Islam. If he converts, that would be the ideal situation. So you should start there.

If that does not work, you should consider getting married to a Muslim man. Get in contact with Masjids and try to find a solution. If your husband divorces you in any case, this is what you sould do.

If that is not possible for some reason, then you should excercise patience and ask pray to God for a solution.

You should pray to God for a solution whether the situation looks bad or good.

May God make it easy for you.

I am sure this advice is not really useful for a woman who clearly loves her husband.

I am a new Muslim. I am at a loss as to who to talk to. I called the local Masjid and have had no response.Who do I turn to? My husband wants a divorce because I said shahada, he said I am an enemy of God and country!! I need a woman to talk to! What can I do? I don't have money for a lawyer, I don't know where I will live. I took over a year to make this choice. What now?

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم)

Welcome to the forum sister. Sad to see that you are in such a bad situation. The best thing IMHO to do now is to request him to understand Islam. Be patient and ask him to be patient as well. Go step by step.

And here is a good read for new members: http://www.gawaher.com/topic/2081-new-members-read-this/

I am sure this advice is not really useful for a woman who clearly loves her husband.

It is natural for her to have some warm feelings for the husband. But she did say I don't have money for a lawyer, I don't know where I will live. Brother Younes gave a very good answer. There were several good points in his post.