Islamic Forum
LifeInChrist

Is The Bible Corrupted?

“The Old Testament was verified via the Dead Sea Scrolls, nothing changed except the occasional spelling error.”

I don’t know who *you’ve* been listening to but here’s what “The Oxford Companion to Archaeology” has to say on the subject:

“While some of the Qumran biblical manuscripts are nearly identical to the Masoretic, or traditional, Hebrew text of the Old Testament, some manuscripts of the books of Exodus and Samuel found in Cave Four exhibit dramatic differences in both language and content. In their astonishing range of textual variants [they] have prompted scholars to reconsider the once-accepted theories of the development of the modern biblical text from only three manuscript families: of the Masoretic text, of the Hebrew original of the Septuagint, and of the Samaritan Pentateuch. It is now becoming increasingly clear that the Old Testament scripture was extremely fluid until its canonization around A.D. 100.”

“At the end of the day you are still stuck with being a sinner and as a sinner you need a saviour!”

Indeed we do. Good thing our Maker is both omnipotent and good. Even a human being doesn’t need to do anything more than say, “I forgive you.” Why should a deity? In all my life I’ve never heard a good answer to this, just circular arguments about “the law” and what not, and the same misinterpretations about animal sacrifices we’ve already been over before (which doesn't answer the question anyway). When your friend says to you, “Look, I’m so sorry I did that to you, I know I deserve to be punched in the face and I wouldn’t blame you if you did it, but could you find it in your heart to have some mercy on me?” you don’t go, “Sure, no problem, man,” and then give *yourself* a good slobberknocker, saying, “Well, *someone* had to get hit!”

lol! I found this funny.  /pointlesspostoftheday

• Like 1

PropellerAds

Assalamualaikum,

I have come across this question before, many a times. However in the beginning I believe that the bible was corrupted beyond repair, then I heard what Syeikh Yusuf Yeats said about the bible. He said that if the bible was really wrong then how could he had come to Islam when he was actually studying it. In other words, he meant that there is truth in the bible. I began to give in a few thoughts into this and this is what I came up with.

I came about this answer (my answer to this question) while I was studying the Quran with my Uztaz. He was teaching me the 'tajwid' and it is a must that Muslims read the Quran in the proper Tajwid. It is the one thing different from the other books of God. The bible has no 'tajwid'. For those of you who does not know what tajwid is, it is like (the only comparison I could come up with) musical chords. In the Quran all letters are marked in certain way, as so that it would be read in a certain way. It would create a tune whilst reading the Quran. (very difficult at first but once you mastered it, it will be the best thing you would ever know).

Why is the 'Tajwid' relevant to the question at hand? It is because all the books of the prophet comes from God, but none but the Quran has the proper 'Tajwid' (I am here to learn so correct me if I am wrong). This means with the 'Tajwid' being a must whilst reading the Quran, then it is only possible to truly read the Quran in the Arabic version. From one corner of the earth to another, all Muslims read the same text with the same letters and the same sounds, and if anyone makes a mistake, another could know about it because we all read with the same Tajwid. 

Does the bible have this? through my research, it does not. Why christians in Spain reads a bible of a different language than those in England. There is bible translated in all languages and I have even found a Malay bible once. (I am a Malay you see). How can the message of Christ be authentic when it has been translated over and over again by the flaw of humans. From one language to another, every mistake leads to another to another and so on. Moreover you have so many different versions of the bible. This version that version, the revise version and changed and revised every year, but for 1600 years the Quran has been the same to a single dot.

Thus the Christians forget that the original language of the bible is in Hebrew, but the reference of translation was to the one in Greek. Can you read the Hebrew language? When I ask many Christians this question, the most popular answer I got was, "I have not read the bible." How can you say that the bible is not corrupted when you have not even read it. 

We Muslim have faith too, but our faith is always rewarded with logic. 

In short the my answer is that, the bible is mostly mistranslated and if you want prove, read the Hebrew version, many said that it is different.

So, your faith is always rewarded with logic; then, that makes logic your god.

There are many things that are not logical about God. For instance, take the virgin birth of Jesus, what is logical about it? His ways are past finding out. As high as the heavens are from the earth are His ways from ours and His thoughts from ours! If you could figure the logic of God, you would be God, lol.

It is logical because if you believe your Creator has the power to do this then it is logical that Mary was able to have a virgin birth. 

And of course we do not know exactly how Allah works and plans, nobody here said that. Allah has knowledge over all things not us. 

Belief or faith in what cannot be proved in a tangible way is not logic, because if it can be tangibly proven, faith is not required or needed to be believed. Now that is logical.

There are things we may never understand because Allah has not given us knowledge of it. But if you have faith in Allah and believe He is the most Powerful then you will believe that what He can do is logical. It isn't a surprise that he can cause a woman to have a virgin birth when he has power over all things. 

“And the word of your Lord has been fulfilled in truth and in justice. None can alter His words, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing.” – Surah 6:115

Muslims are obligated to believe the Torah and the Gospel are the word of God, so how can Muslims say they have been corrupted when this surah says no one can alter God’s word.

A clear contradiction...

Before anyone accuses me of taking this verse out of context let’s take a look at Surah 6:114:

[say], "Then is it other than Allah I should seek as judge while it is He who has revealed to you the Book explained in detail?" And those to whom We [previously] gave the Scripture know that it is sent down from your Lord in truth, so never be among the doubters.

The context deals with the previous scripture which is the word of God i.e. the Torah and the Gospel. You Muslims accuse us of not knowing our bible when you seem to be ignorant of your own Quran.

Hello everyone! and sorry for jumping in at the middle of this great discussion

This is particularly for CarlosTheJackal and friends: Thx for quoting the quraan and reminding us about these ayats.

So,  you have faith in them?

My fellow muslim bros and sis and I are definitely believers in these.

I do not believe the Bible was corrupted in the central message it gives. I believe saying it is corrupted is a lie given by the deceiver or the father of deception.

so you dont acknowledge the words of your own scholars?

Christian scholar, Kenneth Cragg, the Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem, says on page 277 of his book, "The Call of the Minaret":
"Not so the New Testament . . . There is condensation and editing; there is choice, reproduction and witness. The Gospels have come through the mind of the Church behind the authors. They represent experience and history." 

"YET THE KING JAMES VERSION HAS GRAVE DEFECTS." And, "THAT THESE DEFECTS ARE SO MANY AND SO SERIOUS AS TO CALL FOR REVISION . . ." page iii, paragraph six of the PREFACE of the RSV

" anywhere between 3400 to 1900 years have passed since a book of the Bible was written. In this time, the original manuscripts have been lost. They very likely no longer exist. Also during this time, the books of the Bible have been copied again and again. Copies of copies of copies have been made. ... As meticulous as scribes were with the replication of the Scriptures, no one is perfect. As a result, minor differences arose in the various copies of the Scriptures."Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-corrupted.html#ixzz2dATL8hVC

Dr. F.H. Scrivener in “Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament” says:

“In the second century we have seen too many instances of attempts to tamper with the text of Scripture, some merely injudicious, others positively dishonest”.

Scrivener states that “it is no less true to fact than paradoxical in sound, that the worst corruptions to which the New Testament has ever been subjected, originated within 100 years after it was composed: and that Irenaeus and the African Fathers, and the whole Western, with a portion of the Syrian Church used inferior manuscripts.”

The reputed textual critic Dr. C.R. Gregory in “Canon and Text of the New Testament”, page 424 says:

“The Greek MSS of the Text of the New Testament were often altered by the scribes, who put into them the readings which were familiar to them, and which they held to be the right readings”

Sir William Whiston in his second letter to the Bishop of London, 1719, on page 15 says:

“”We certainly know of a greater number of interpolations and corruptions brought into the Scriptures by the Athanasians, and relating to the Doctrine of the Trinity, than in any other case whatsoever. While we have not, that I know of, any such interpolation or corruption made in any one of them by either the Eusebians or Arians.”

Professor C.J. Cadoux, who was Mackennal Professor of Church History at Oxford, writes on page 16 of his “Life of Jesus”:

“The speeches in the Fourth Gospel(even apart from the early messianic claim) are so different from those in the Synoptic and so like the comments of the Fourth Evangelist himself, that both cannot be equally reliable as record of what Jesus said. Literary veracity in ancient times did not orbid, as it does now, the assignment of fictitious speeches to historical charaters.”

Reverend E. Griffith Jones B.A., D.D. Principal of the United College, Bradford says in his article “The Bible-Meaning and Aim” contributed to the commentary on the Bible and edited by Arthur S. Peake, M.A.D.D. :

“Secondly, the Bible as we have it is a much edited body of Literature, and the various editors have treated their earlier sources with considerable freedom: nor have they always been very skilful in their treatment”

L.D. Twilley, B.D. in “The Origin and Transmission of the New Testament” on pages 44-45 says:

“The scribe may alter a text to agree with his theology. This is a very rare form of corruption, but was definitely employed by Marcion, the heretic. Thus from the very early times there was a very great variety of different readings of the text in existence. Early in the fourth century a certain scholar by the name Lucian carefully compared different readings of the New Testament with which he was acquainted and produced revised form of the text …… This is also referred to Byzantine Text.”

The Catholic Encyclopedia admits:

Transmission of the Text

“No book of ancient times has come down to us exactly as it left the hands of its author– all have been in some way altered. “

The fact that textural criticism of the bible is widely used both for and against Christianity still doesn't confirm that the Bible is corrupted.  In fact Catholic seminaries teach textual criticism so that argument falls flat since its used in the formation of priests.  It's not just the Sacred scriptures but Sacred tradition that guides the Church.  Besides altered doesn't mean corrupted.

Peace be with you      

The fact that textural criticism of the bible is widely used both for and against Christianity still doesn't confirm that the Bible is corrupted.

Besides altered doesn't mean corrupted.

How about 'falsified'?

Besides your missing the point.  If it was strictly about the Sacred Scriptures then the Church would have collapsed over a millennium ago.  So, even if one were to say the Scriptures are in your words falsified.  That wouldn't be enough for the destruction of the Church.  As you'd have to destroy Sacred Tradition and Apostolic Succession.  Not to mention you'd be going against Jesus Christ who is the head of the Church.  So, good luck.  The ones that don't fair so well are those that subscribe to Sola Scriptura.  That's why there are those among them that embrace scripture criticism often have a hard time staying Christian some convert to Islam and some embrace atheism. 

Peace be with you  

The scriptures were lost long ago. That is why God sent you a new version. Your scriptures are now within the Quran itself GMCbroom. Islam is the final version of Judaism and Christianity. You should update your religion mate. If you love Jesus, why are you still a Christian, when true Christianity is lost long time ago?

The Quran has within its pages what true Christianity had, minus the fabrications and lies that were inserted into your man-made books. Yet you people insist on following the falsified version and set aside the true updated version, the only version that was granted a divine seal of protection against falsification till the end of time?

The coming of Islam invalidated all previous versions of God's religions. Jesus Christ is a human not a god. Stop slandering him please, and stop encouraging falsifiers by following their man-made books. The truth is right there, in front of your eyes.

Dot, I want to say thank you very much for your kind offer to embrace Islam.  However, to me the Gospels are not corrupted.  True, even though the Catholic Encyclopedia has admitted that no book from ancient times has come down to us from the hands of its author unaltered in some way.  As I said earlier, I don't follow the bible alone.  I also follow sacred tradition and apostolic succession, ie the Bishop. So I have no desire to embrace Islam.  I have the fullness of the faith in Catholism. From your view you follow the Koranic teachings and Hadiths. But, Christians don't  follow the Koran.  We acknowledge that the Koran is a Holy book for Muslims and should always be respected hence why the Pope kissed it.  Yet, it is not for the Christians.  We have the Gospels and we follow them and our traditions.  Altered or not, its what we have and we use it.  I realize that to Muslims and outsiders,even atheists, etc.  a Christians ways are folly.  It doesn't make sense to you.  We accept that.  We will not change that however.  We will preach the Gospel,  if it brings others to the saving grace of Jesus Christ then we've gained a brother.  If not, then so be it.  You should note that those ecclesial communities that have changed their doctrines to be more appealing to the world have gone wildly astray embracing same sex marriage, euthanasia, abortion to name a few.  Its in holding to our faith and traditions that we are anchored against the rough waves of the world.  To Christians the faith is full of mysteries and wonders.  

Your right though about one thing.  Jesus isn't a god.  He's the God there's only one God.  One person in the Blessed Trinity.  The Hidden Father, The Son Jesus, and the Living and Holy Spirit. United in the great mystery of the hypostatic union.  They are One God not three.  Christians are monotheists.  Muslims and others don't agree and they are entitled to their opinion as we are to ours.  At the end of time when we all stand before God you'll see my friend.             

Peace be with you.          

GMCbroom

I've always respected pious Christians, and you seem to be one.

the Catholic Encyclopedia has admitted that no book from ancient times has come down to us from the hands of its author unaltered in some way.

Altered or not, its what we have and we use it.

Why?  what makes you follow altered books, when there is an updated version that is protected against all alteration by God Al-Mighty Himself? what if you're totally wrong? you owe it to yourself to at least give Islam a try. Millions have done it. There is nothing to loose, except falsehood.

One person in the Blessed Trinity.  The Hidden Father, The Son Jesus, and the Living and Holy Spirit. United in the great mystery of the hypostatic union.

To Christians the faith is full of mysteries and wonders.

I know that mystery adds a lot of character, owe and elegance. But when it comes to your Creator, there is no mystery whatsoever. Your Creator is one. He is Allah/God, [who is] One. Allah, the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born. Nor is there to Him any equivalent. Its that clear and simple. Why do you have to follow human-made mysterious theories, when your God is so very close, closer than your jugular veins,  and so very direct to you, without any intermediaries, and to all who have hearts to see?

We acknowledge that the Koran is a Holy book for Muslims and should always be respected hence why the Pope kissed it.  Yet, it is not for the Christians.

But the Quran is not only for Muslims. Its the book your Creator sent for Christians, Jews and all humanity. Its the universal religion til the end of time.

My invitation to you and to all Christians is based on a humanitarian level. Its really saddening to see very good persons choosing the wrong path. Its very saddening to any human to see a fellow human going in the wrong direction while you have nothing in your powers to help him. Its true that its God Al-Mighty who guides whom He wants, so all I can do is pray for you that you one day see the truth, before its too late.