Islamic Forum
SuperZeZ

Which Was The True Faith Before Muhammad?

I've often heard, and my reading of the Qur'an seems to suggest, that before Islam, the people of the book were worshipping Allah properly and thus would not go to hell.

This may be a misconstrual of what that means, but the question that always brought to mind was this:

In the time between when Christianity was founded and Islam was founded, which group, according to Islam, had the true faith: the Jews or the Christians?

If I have indeed misunderstood what I have read, I'd appreciate clarification, and I hope you could forgive my ignorance on the matter in that case :)

PropellerAds

I've often heard, and my reading of the Qur'an seems to suggest, that before Islam, the people of the book were worshipping Allah properly and thus would not go to hell.

This may be a misconstrual of what that means, but the question that always brought to mind was this:

In the time between when Christianity was founded and Islam was founded, which group, according to Islam, had the true faith: the Jews or the Christians?

If I have indeed misunderstood what I have read, I'd appreciate clarification, and I hope you could forgive my ignorance on the matter in that case :)

Islam

Islam was before muhammed , Islam was religion of all prophets of God. they were all muslims. if you dont believe me, then listen to this jewish rabbi who said that muslims and jews lived together in jerusalem in ancient times according to their jewish holy scriptures, before jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIh7TcrZRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPN70ja7XH0

the early christians, jesus disciples were in fact muslims. muslim means the one who surrender/submit to God's will.

Edited by andalusi

Jesus said the word "Muslim" in Luke 6:40, and told others to be a Muslim:

hebrew_2.gif

Aramaic translated into Hebrew: "Ein talmeed na'leh 'al rabbo; shekken kal adam she'MUSHLAM yihyeh k'rabbo."

Translation in English: "No student can be above his teacher, but everyone that is a MUSLIM, can be as his teacher."

God said that in quran that muslims existed before Muhammed:

5:11 And as I revealed to the Disciples (The followers of Isa "Jesus", also called the Apostles) (saying), "Believe in Me and in My Messenger." They said, "We believe, and bear you witness that surely we (ourselves) are Muslims."

even during time of abraham, even before jesus time

God said in quran:

3:67 Abraham was not a Jew, nor a Christian; but he was one pure of faith and Muslim (who submitted to God with a sound heart). He was never of those who associate partners with God.

That jewish rabbi confirmed only what we muslims already knew :yes:

Jesus said the word "Muslim" in Luke 6:40, and told others to be a Muslim:

hebrew_2.gif

Aramaic translated into Hebrew: "Ein talmeed na'leh 'al rabbo; shekken kal adam she'MUSHLAM yihyeh k'rabbo."

Translation in English: "No student can be above his teacher, but everyone that is a MUSLIM, can be as his teacher."

The definitions for Mushlam that I've found are "perfect" and "peace." Can you point me to a hebrew translation dictionary that translates it as Muslim? Also, how are you sure it doesn't mean "perfect"?

Yes, those who followed the true teachings of their Prophets (pbuh) from among the people of the Book were true believers.

We believe that Jesus (pbuh) was a Prophet of Allah. If we take him as the Christianity's founder, then obviously the Christians had the true faith. However, if by Christianity's founding you mean the Christians who not so short after Jesus' (pbuh) departure came up with the idea of Jesus (pbuh) being God, His Son and Lord, then I would say the Jews were closer to the true faith. However, even the Jewish faith was not perfect. Allah says in the Qur'an:

(17. Surely, in disbelief are they who say that Allah is the Messiah, son of Maryam. Say: "Who then has the least power against Allah, if He were to destroy the Messiah, son of Maryam, his mother, and all those who are on the earth together'' And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them. He creates what He wills. And Allah is able to do all things.) (18. And the Jews and the Christians say: "We are the children of Allah and His loved ones.'' Say: "Why then does He punish you for your sins'' Nay, you are but human beings of those He has created, He forgives whom He wills and He punishes whom He wills. And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them; and to Him is the return (of all).

(19. O People of the Scripture! Now has come to you Our Messenger making (things) clear unto you, after a break in (the series of) Messengers, lest you say: "There came to us no bringer of glad tidings and no warner.'' But now has come unto you a bringer of glad tidings and a warner. And Allah is able to do all things. ) (From Surah 5)

The break in the series of Messengers (pbut) refers to the time between Jesus (pbuh) and Muhammad (pbuh), as there was no Prophet between them. As the verse indicates, false things had been introduced into both religions.

The definitions for Mushlam that I've found are "perfect" and "peace." Can you point me to a hebrew translation dictionary that translates it as Muslim? Also, how are you sure it doesn't mean "perfect"?

beacuse jews who converted to Islam translated this, they knew hebrew, and they had their own website before, www.jewsforallah.com , now that website is down, but i copied this from their site

here is another muslim site wich talk about this

Jesus using the word "Muslim" in Luke 6:40:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/luke6_40.htm

The difficult thing about ancient translations is the possibility of biases. For instance, the Christian translators do not include the word Muslim in their translations. In the Christian bible, Luke 6:40 reads

40 A [a]pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will [b]be like his teacher.

This, according to the New American Standard version. Older translations are similar. I am no scholar of ancient texts, to know what the original Hebrew or Aramaic said, nor even of Greek. It seems to me, however, that, if Muslim means "One who is devoted to God," than the ancients such as Abraham and Jesus, peace ever unto them, would certainly have fit that description. At the risk of oversimplifying a centuries old problem, may I ask: Is the biggest point of disagreement between Christianity and Islam whether or not Jesus was the "Messiah" or a human prophet?

Both,I think. Actually Islam and christian believe that Jesus/Prophet Isa (pbuh) is the messiah. The differences are the roles. Read about the differences here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah

That includes the acknowledgement that according to Islam,Jesus is a prophet,but according to christian,Jesus is god

Edited by Raihanna