Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Padre5

The West Vs. Islam

WASHINGTON (Reuters)- For those who believe in a clash of civilizations between the Islamic world and Western democracy, the last few weeks must seem like final confirmation of their theory.

Even those who reject the term as loaded and simplistic speak sadly of a perhaps catastrophic failure of understanding between Americans in particular and many Muslims.

The outrage and violence over a crude film ridiculing the Prophet Mohammad points to a chasm between Western free speech and individualism and the sensitivities of some Muslims over what they see as a campaign of humiliation.

There seems no shortage of forces on both sides to fan the flames. The tumult over the video had not even subsided when a French magazine this week printed a new cartoon showing the prophet naked.

"It's ridiculous," Zainab Al-Suwaij, executive director of the America Islamic Congress, said of the violence that on Friday killed 15 in Pakistan alone as what were supposed to be peaceful protests turned violent.

"Yes, this video is offensive but it is clearly a grotesque over reaction that in part is being whipped up by radical Islamists in the region for their own ends. But it does show you the depth of misunderstanding between the cultures."

Starting last week with a few relatively small embassy protests and a militant attack in Libya that killed the U.S. ambassador and three others, violence has since spread to more than a dozen countries across the Middle East and Asia.

Despite the focus on religion, few doubt there are other drivers of confrontation.

The war on terrorism, U.S. drone strikes, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the Guantanamo Bay prison simply continue, in many Muslims' perceptions, centuries of Western meddling, hypocrisy and broken promises.

Meanwhile, many Americans see those regions as an inexplicable source of terrorism, hostage-taking, hatred and chaos. In Europe, those same concerns have become intertwined with other battles over immigration and multiculturalism.

"It has always been a difficult relationship and in the last decades it has become even more delicate," said Akbar Ahmed, chair of Islamic studies at American University in Washington. "Even a seemingly minor matter can upset the balance. ... What is needed is more sensitivity and understanding on both sides, but that is difficult to produce."

Not all the news from the region indicates an unbridgeable gap. Many Libyans, especially young ones, came out to mourn Ambassador Chris Stevens after his death and make clear that militants who killed him did not speak for them. Thousands of Libyans marched in Benghazi on Friday to protest the Islamist militias that Washington blames for the attack.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

The 'Free' Hypocrisy vs Islam

Edited by Saracen21stC
  • Like 1

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Padre, at the end of the day, it really does not matter what everyone thinks as it very much depends on what version of 'truth' that one subscribes to.

Some Christians of the west for example, think that the Muslims are to be destroyed and eliminated to facilitate the return of their God for an everlasting peace after that, the same with the Jews. Atheists such as yourself think that the sooner they get rid of the religions the sooner the world would evolve into a perfect peaceful paradise..Muslims subscribe to the view that this world is temporary, justice would return for one last time very soon before the end of history as we know it. All these events that happened and are happening would lend credence to each person based very much on what version of truth that he or she subscribes to and the glasses through which that person sees the world from.

This begs a question, what is the real truth?..Have you though about that?

Padre, at the end of the day, it really does not matter what everyone thinks as it very much depends on what version of 'truth' that one subscribes to.

Some Christians of the west for example, think that the Muslims are to be destroyed and eliminated to facilitate the return of their God for an everlasting peace after that, the same with the Jews. Atheists such as yourself think that the sooner they get rid of the religions the sooner the world would evolve into a perfect peaceful paradise..Muslims subscribe to the view that this world is temporary, justice would return for one last time very soon before the end of history as we know it. All these events that happened and are happening would lend credence to each person based very much on what version of truth that he or she subscribes to and the glasses through which that person sees the world from.

This begs a question, what is the real truth?..Have you though about that?

I have thought about that a lot, and for many years. But you should understand that I do NOT want to get "rid of religions." I recognize that faith can be very positive, and may be for most people. However, a Gallup Poll of Muslims all over the world established that 7% of Muslims believe wholeheartedly in the goals of al Quaeda. What do you make of that reality?

I have thought about that a lot, and for many years. But you should understand that I do NOT want to get "rid of religions." I recognize that faith can be very positive, and may be for most people. However, a Gallup Poll of Muslims all over the world established that 7% of Muslims believe wholeheartedly in the goals of al Quaeda. What do you make of that reality?

I believe I have explained it in PM :)

7% compared to 93% is a great difference. It does not represent the majority at all. And I second Rahimi's opinion

May Allah brings you to the truth :)

RAHIMI wrote: ."... day, it really does not matter what everyone thinks as it very much depends on what version of 'truth' that one subscribes to.

This begs a question, what is the real truth?..Have you though about that?"

And some Muslims seem to think that killing other Muslims is demanded by the version of the religion thay follow (See thereligionofpeace.com) Why???!

RAHIMI wrote: ."... day, it really does not matter what everyone thinks as it very much depends on what version of 'truth' that one subscribes to.

This begs a question, what is the real truth?..Have you though about that?"

And some Muslims seem to think that killing other Muslims is demanded by the version of the religion thay follow (See thereligionofpeace.com) Why???!

Who told you that we were demanded to kill other muslims?No,we should not kill any of those muslims except they do very bad things. Even there are some western countries which still use death penalty.

As I have told you before,there are some muslims that have wrong interpretation of Islam or simply misguided. True muslims will never kill innocents. Islam is religion of peace. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) also is a very peaceful and forgiving leader. He had lead an army of 10,000 muslims to conquer Mecca,but ended up not lay a finger towards them and conquered the city peacefully. Can you imagine a general of winning army give such treatment towards enemies who have tortured him and his followers for years?

I heard that there were some people in US who brutally shot innocents in public places. Would you like if I think all Americans are brutal and love to shoot anyone without any reasons at all?If you don't like it,it is the same with the rest of muslims,who love peace like us. So, I repeat again,don't generalize image of a few bad muslims to be the image of the whole religion.

Please read Quran that you have to know the true face of Islam rather than reading those media. Or watch "Omar" if you want to know how are the true Islamic values and the sufferings of muslims in its early times just to practise their religions.

May Allah brings you to the truth :)

Edited by Raihanna

That is an anti-Islamic Junk site. More than 90% articles are hoaxes and they are full of lies. You are supposed to quote from Islamic sites, NOT from such junk sites.

Edited by Saracen21stC

And Guys! Discuss in the forums. The forum is mainly for discussions, not PMs.

Saracen21stC, I understand why you don't like sites that attack Islam, but what about the site I cited just collecting examples of violence by Muslims against other Muslims? Those statistics are not just a bunch of lies, but are verified by the mainstream media, including Al Jazeera. And the sectarian violence in Islam has been going on since the split of the two main branches of Islam. That is an historical fact, and one of the aspects of Islam that continues to baffle me. Not a day goes by without another example somewhere in the Islamic world, it seems. Both sides claim to be following the dictates of their religion, just as Christians did, for centuries, beginning with the Protestant Reformation. The reality of those histories is one of the things that has reinforced my personal lack of belief. I cannot believe in any deity whose supposed message leads so directly to such killing.

I visited that website religionofpeace.com and immediately knew that it made by haters. It put worst muslims as the face of Islam. That is indeed wrong. Allah NEVER TAUGH US TO KILL INNOCENTS OR DID BAD THINGS.

That's what you've got if searching about Islam in WRONG PLACE,not in Al-Quran. If you want to know about a person, do you search for his haters for information?Of course no,because they will mislead you for sure. Haters will always hate,there will be no fair judgement from them. Search for information about something in RELIABLE SOURCE. Here is the website about Islam's true value :

http://www.web.youngmuslims.ca/online_library/books/peace_in_islam/index.htm

Some facts about Islam:

1. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Why people will bother to embrace Islam if it is full of "crime"?

2. Islam's way of life is the best so far. We don't drink alcohol (proven to be unhealthy),don't eat pork (proven to be unhealthy),fast during Ramadhan (proven to be healthy),don't have sex before marriage (can avoid a lot of troubles like unwanted babies,abortions,suicides,etc),don't be gay/lesbian (can save from many disease),the women of Islam wear hijab to cover their bodies (so lowering the chance to be rape) and so on. Islam's way of life clearly will lead anyone towards a better life. What does freedom of life give you?Many problems and decreasing health.And do you think that perfect way of life come for people of 7th AD in Arabia?No,because there is no way Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) knew about the advantages of Islam's way of life at his time. And it can't be coincidence,because coincident will never happen many times in a row. The perfect logic is it came from Allah,The All-Knowing

3. Al-Quran is so fit with modern science. Go to this site to know better:

http://www.harunyahya.com/en/works/998/

4. When Islam conquered a territory,it never forced people to convert. So different with another religion which forced its colony to convert

5. Some muslims are also oppressed in all over the world now. Rohingya muslims are the most persecuted minority in the world nowadays. Palestinians are oppressed by israel. Muslims in Europe suffer many discriminations. Not to mention Islamophobia. WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING IT UP?

I suggest you to read Al-Quran and you will find no mistake in it,whether regarding of moral or modern science. If you find any mistakes,open a discussion here and we will explain it further to you.

I hope you will read and think about it.

May Allah lead the way to the truth

The 'Free' Hypocrisy vs Islam

Could you explain more why you think it is hypocrisy?