Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SuperZeZ

Writing A Book, Need Some Advice

Hey everybody, I'm writing a book, and in it there is a religion based in the arab world. The founder of that religion invented an arabic word. It's not a real word, but I want to check with people who know arabic to make sure of a couple of things:

1: The word, or a word pronounced exactly the same way, doesn't already exist in arabic

2: The word is actually linguistically accurate, and how it would be spelled in arabic

The word would be written in english as "vorak", and would be pronounced like the first two syllables of "Morocco" but with a V, and it translates to "lying to children and frightening them to keep them in line." Basically, the founder of this faith felt that that was such a grave sin that it needed a word to convey it succinctly, so people could call other people out on it without their sentences becoming awkward.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by SuperZeZ

PropellerAds

So am I understanding you correctly that you wish to obtain a word that sounds Arabic, but which has no precedence in the language?

So am I understanding you correctly that you wish to obtain a word that sounds Arabic, but which has no precedence in the language?

Well I wouldn't make any claims of it being a real arabic word, I'd make it clear that the word was invented by the founder of that religion, one which is unique to this book's universe. I just want to check for plausibility, in that the word isn't already taken, and that it could be a real word.

I've found myself being very careful about the words I use, out of a fear of sounding offensive, as that is not my intention, and I apologize if I've come across as that.

No, there was no offense, at least on my part. Unfortunately, you will need to gain the support of members who are knowledgeable about Arabic, for I am not.

I've done a bit of research using the very helpful tutorials on this forum, and I've concluded that the word uses two letters with no arabic equivalents (V and O).

Just wondering on the off chance that it's true, is there already a word in Arabic for "lying to children and frightening them to keep them in line"? It's incredibly specific and obscure, so I have my doubts, but just want to check.

And if there isn't already a word for it, does anybody have a suggestion for a good fictional Arabic word for it i could use?

I'm not comfortable with the idea of your book. Where in time was that religion founded?

Yeah, I was worried that it would sound a bit dodgy, lemme give a bit of explanation:

See, my book is a work of post-apocalyptic fiction, and the nature of it is such that religion would get mentioned quite frequently, so I took the opportunity to make my story's universe have a completely different set of religious beliefs than the real world, so it's kind of an "alternate earth" piece of fiction. This would be the primary religion of the middle-east in this universe.

Long story short, one of this religion's teachings is that the three worst sins one can commit are Rape, Slavery, and lying to children to frighten them and keep them in line. As this is such a grave sin, the founder of this religion invented a word for it, so the horrific trio of sins is known as "Rape, Slavery and Vorak."

Another thing I'd like to point out is that I can give you my word that this book portrays the arab world in a positive light, and I have no desire to be insulting or offensive, which is why I want to make sure about this word.

Ok. The word vorak is not among the Arabic words, and there is no word in Arabic, that I know of, which on its own means "lying to children to frighten them and keep them in line". The sound of letter v is not among Arabic letters, but when we need to write that sound we write the equivalent of the letter f, which is ف but with three dots on top instead of the usual one dot on top. So your word vorak would be written as فوراك but with 3 dots on the ف

The sound of O does have an equivalent Arabic letter. If its a deep or long O sound, then its letter و

If its a light O sound, it would be written as a tiny punctuation mark on top

If you want it pronounced as morak, then it would be written as:

موراك

or with a light and quick O sound:

مُراك

Btw, Morocco in Arabic is مغرب or مراكش = Marakesh

If you were to use that word as a verb, here is some of its conjugation:

present tense:

singular: يمرك

plural: يمركون

past tense:

singular مرك

plural: مركوا

word in plural: مراكات

• Like 1

مُراك

Thank you so much! Just to clarify, what would be the most accurate romanization of this word? Since you said that, as I had come to suspect, V and O aren't part of normal Arabic, I'm guessing that it would be romanized with other letters, an I'm just curious what those would be.

Again, I really appreciate your help with this!

Edited by SuperZeZ

Only v is not in Arabic letters.

O is there, as explained above.

I didn't understand this part. You want the romanization of the word? I thought you wanted the Arabization of your word, which is already in latin characters. Or did you mean the transliteration of the Arabic word? if so..

مًراك = mo'raak

Only v is not in Arabic letters.

O is there, as explained above.

I didn't understand this part. You want the romanization of the word? I thought you wanted the Arabization of your word, which is already in latin characters. Or did you mean the transliteration of the Arabic word? if so..

مًراك = mo'raak

Thanks, yeah, I meant the transliteration, how I'd write it in english, so thanks a ton!