Islamic Forum

ASA

I have a question about the age of the earth. I recently picked up Tarikh at-Tabari, in which Tabari states that the total age of the earth is 7000 years. In the book, he backs this up using narrations from Ibn Abbas, but no direct hadith. After doing some digging, I found the following hadith from this website: http://www.hazrat-mahdi.com/Part02_04.php

Anas Ibn Malik narrates that the Messenger of Allah (saas) said:

The life span of the world is seven days in the days of the Hereafter. Almighty Allah has said: “A day with your Lord is equivalent to a thousand years in the way you count”.

Allah will ascribe the equivalent of good deeds of THE SEVEN THOUSAND YEARS OF THE AGE OF THIS WORLD to the one who meets the need of any of his brothers in the faith on the path of Allah as if he spends his days in fasting and his nights in worship.(Al-Burhan fi Alamat al-Mahdi Akhir al-zaman, p. 88)

The website also cites several other books. Can anyone comment on the authenticity of these narrations? I am having trouble believing this hadith to be authentic for two reasons. First, verses 79:42-46 in the Qur'an:

42. They ask you (O Muhammad) about the Hour, - when will be its appointed time?

43. You have no knowledge to say anything about it,

44. To your Lord belongs (the knowledge of) the term thereof?

45. You (O Muhammad) are only a warner for those who fear it,

Also, isn't there a hadith where the Prophet SAW says that if Dajjal comes in his lifetime, he will deal with him, otherwise you would have Al-Mahdi and Isa. I don't see how the Qur'an can say that the Hour is not known to the Prophet SAW and then there is a Hadith where the Prophet says 7000 years is the total extent of this world.

Secondly, I don't believe in conflicts between the Qur'an and science, but if the world is 7000 years in total duration that is pretty flying in the face of everything we know about cosmology.

Can someone with more knowledge than me please comment on this? Jazakallah.

PropellerAds
Assalam o alaykum,

Those narrations that talk about age of the world are fabricated as declared by Mulla Ali Qari, ‘Allamah Qastallani, ‘Allamah ibn al-Athir and ‘Allamah ibn al-Jawzi (may Allah have mercy on them) and mentioned to me by Mufti Hussain Kadodia.

Mulla Ali Qari (may Allah have mercy on him) writes,

“... and among them [the rules] is the opposition of the narration to the explicit text of the Qur'an, such as the narration that the age of the World is 7000 years and we are in the seventh thousand and this narration is clear-cut lie.” (Mawduat al-Kabir, p.118)