Islamic Forum
jtb04a

What Is The Most Important Surah?

Here's a question for anyone. What is the most important Surah to you? I know the idea of not having the whole Quran is a terrible one. But if you could only have one Surah, which one would you want? Which one do you read/recite the most? Which one means the most to you?

You don't have to answer all of those questions. They are just prompts to help you think about which one is most important to you.

PropellerAds

Assalamualaikum brother,

According to me, Surah Al-Ikhlas is of great importance because even the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) has mentioned that the blessings of reciting this particular Surah is the equivalent of reciting one third of the Qur'aan. Although all Surah's are important, I feel this Surah gives a beautiful description about our lord Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) and is a Surah that I constantly use in prayer.

May Allah guide us all to the right path,

Peace,

UK.

• Like 2

Greetings Jordan

Welcome to the forum.

As brother Umairk mentioned, chapter 112, named suat Al-Ikhlaas, is probably the most important, because reciting it 3 times, for those who are new to the Quran, is equivalent to reciting the whole Quran. Its a short surah, only 4 verses, 15 words in all.

But the surah that Muslims recite the most is surat Al-Faatiha (chapter 1). We say that surah in all prayers, once in each rak'ah (unit of prayer), that is at least 17 recitations (2+4+4+3+4=17), plus 20 if you do Voluntary prayers, which adds up to 37 recitation of chapter 1 each day. LIke chapter 112, its also a short surah, 7 verses.

If you're interested, here is a nice way to browse the Quran, and listen to any word, verse or chapter recited for you. You also get to choose from a variety of reciters and translators:

http://www.houseofqu...anteacher1.html

• Like 2

Hello,

I like the verse of the Footstool the most. It is the greatest verse (not Surah), according to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him). It is verse number 255, Surah number 2.

Here is the verse:

Allah! There is no deity save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.

But I would say that Surat-ul-Ikhlas is the most comprehensive Surah in terms of the Islamic faith:

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

And there is none like unto Him.

• Like 2

There is one particular Ayah in particular that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) spoke of, that is said to give its reader great benefits in this life and the afterlife – Ayatul Kursi (Surat Al-Baqarah 2:255), also known as the Verse of the Throne.

The narrations (hadith) that speak of the virtues, and benefits, of Ayatul Kursi are numerous.

Narrated Abu Huraira: Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ordered me to guard the Zakat revenue of Ramadan. Then somebody came to me and started stealing of the foodstuff. I caught him and said, “I will take you to Allah’s Apostle!” Then Abu Huraira described the whole narration and said: That person said (to me), “Please don’t take me to Allah’s Apostle and I will tell you a few words by which Allah will benefit you. When you go to your bed, recite Ayatul Kursi, (2.255) for then there will be a guard from Allah who will protect you all night long, and Satan will not be able to come near you till dawn.” When the Prophet heard the story he said (to me), “He (who came to you at night) told you the truth although he is a liar; and it was Satan.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari – Book 61 Hadith 530)

Narrated by Ayfa’ ibn Abdul Kila’i : Ayfa’ told of a man who asked Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) which surah of the Qur’an was greatest and was told that it was “Say, He is Allah, One.” He asked which verse of the Qur’an was greatest and was told that it was the Throne Verse, “Allah, there is no god but He, the Living, the Eternal.” He asked Allah’s Prophet which verse he would like to bring good to him and his people and was told, “The end of Surat Al-Baqarah, for it is one of the treasures of Allah’s mercy from under His throne, which He gave to these people, and there is no good in this world and the next, which it does not include.” (Al-Tirmidhi – Hadith 2169)

Narrated by Abu Huraira : Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said, “If anyone recites in the morning Ha-Mim al-Mu’min to ‘to Him is the final goal, and the Throne Verse, he will be guarded by them till the evening, and if anyone recites them in the evening he will be guarded by them till the morning.” (Al-Tirmidhi – Hadith 2144)

May Allah protect us and give us success.

• Like 2

So many Good answers.

I like Surah no. 1 called Fatiha.

Edited by Saracen21stC
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies. This is really helpful. I've read a lot of things online about Surah Al-Fatiha being sort of a summary of the Quran. Obviously, there is much more to the Quran than Fatiha, but would you agree that this is a bit of a summary? It is a beautiful text.

As I read more and more on this forum, my English translation of the Quran and other places I am finding that we have a great deal in common in our faiths. Much more than I once thought. Allah is also my God, because we all serve a God who is One. The Shema states "Hear O israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One."

It appears our main difference is around the idea of Jesus' humanity/divinity. But the God I call Yahweh and you call Allah is the same God, yesterday, today and forever.

I am finding the Quran to have many beautiful texts about our God. Thank you for sharing your favorite Surahs with me.

I am finding that we have a great deal in common in our faiths. Much more than I once thought. Allah is also my God, because we all serve a God who is One.

Correct. because Its the same author of all divine religions. Correct, we all worship the same God, because there is nothing but The One. ("The One" is one of Allah's names/attributes).

I'm glad that you're finding beauty in the text of the Quran. The more you read, the more you'll like it.