Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raihanna

Fried Stuffed Tofu

Assalamualaikum,

Another recipe for you to try! Yeah, I am interested in food nowadays :D

Fried stuffed tofu is a light snack made from tofu and vegetables. This is one of my favorite snacks, so delicious! Here's the recipe if you are interested to make it.

Fried Stuffed Tofu

Tahu-Goreng-Isi-Ayam.jpg

Yield 12 stuffed tofu

Ingredients

12 pieces firm tofu

Oil for deep frying

Spice paste:

5 garlic cloves

1 ½ teaspoon whole white pepper

Salt to taste

* using mortar and pestle/food processor, process the spice into smooth paste

Devide the spice paste into an equal portion, set aside

Batter:

1 cup flour

1 egg

2/3 cup ice water

1 teaspoon salt

Vegetables stuffing:

1 heaping cup shredded cabbage

1 heaping cup bean sprouts

1 cup shredded carrot

4 stalks spring onions, chopped

1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder

1 ½ teaspoon sweet soy sauce, optional

2 tablespoons cooking oil

2 tablespoons water

salt to taste.

How to Make

-Heat the oil in a wok, deep fried the tofu until browned on the both sides

-When they are completely cool to hold, use a knife or scissors-make a slit on the side of each tofu, scoop out the inner part to make a pouch to fill the stuffing, set aside.

Make the stuffing

-Heat 2 tablespoons oil, take ½ part of spice paste, fry until fragrants.Throw in shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts and spring onions.

-Do a quick stir-fry until the vegetables are just about wilted, add in 2 tablespoon water, sweet soy sauce, season with white pepper powder and salt.

-Stir to combine and make sure that the seasoning completely cooked through. Have a taste and remove from the heat, transfer into a bowl and let it cool

Make the batter

-In a mixing bowl, combine batter ingredients, flour, salt and ½ part of spice paste. Pour in the ice water to the mix slowly.

-Stir well the batter until smooth or until to thin batter consistency. Add in egg and stir until the mixture well incorporated. Set aside.

To finished

-Using a spoon, packed each tofu pouch with the vegetable stuffing. Repeat the remaining until all are done-set aside.

-Heat the oil in a deep fryer or a wok. Dip the stuffed tofu in the batter until the tofu well coated,

drop gently into the hot oil.

* fry about 3 tofu at one time, but it really depend on your deep fryer or wok size.

-Fry until the tofu is golden brown and crispy. Drain on plate lined with paper towel. Do the same to the remaining until all stuffed tofu are done

-Serve immediately with fresh green/red chillies or served on it’s own.

Cook notes

I use local tofu that available and easy to get at where I lived, it is long tofu.The unique thing about the long tofu, it has a soft texture and in its interior highly porous due to moisture contains in the tofu, so it would naturally form to a pouch (hollow inside) when its deep fried. I found that this tofu is just perfect for making stuffed tofu.

If you use regular firm tofu which doesn’t behave like my tofu, what you need to do is after it deep fried, scoop the flesh out (but not completely scooped out the entire flesh), crumble the tofu flesh using your fingers and mix with the vegetable stuffing so you would not waste it out.

I hope you will enjoy it in your spare time with a glass of tea or coffee ;)

Wassalam

PropellerAds