Islamic Forum
gmcbroom

Todah The Thanksgiving Sacrifice

Hello all, I was wondering if the the Todah or thanksgiving sacrifice is offered in Islam? It was a very important Jewish sacrifice that God valued highly. For reference Leviticus 7. Catholics and the majority of Christians continue the practice as the holy Eucharist or communion depending which church or ecclesial community they belong too. Christians see parallels in psalms 22, 40, and 50. Thus the thanksgiving sacrifice still continues.

So since this most pleasing to God, is it still offered in your faith?

PropellerAds

To every people did We appoint rites (of sacrifice), that they might celebrate
the name of Allah over the sustenance He gave them from animals (fit for food).
But your god is One God: submit then your wills to Him (in Islam): and give thou
the good news to those who humble themselves,-

To those whose hearts when Allah is mentioned, are filled with fear, who show
patient perseverance over their afflictions, keep up regular prayer, and spend
(in charity) out of what We have bestowed upon them.

The sacrificial camels we have made for you as among the symbols from Allah: in
them is (much) good for you: then pronounce the name of Allah over them as they
line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter),
eat ye thereof, and feed such as (beg not but) live in contentment, and such as
beg with due humility: thus have We made animals subject to you, that ye may be
grateful.

It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah: it is your piety that
reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for
His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right.

(Surah 22, verses 34-37)

Yes, Muslims do sacrifice. However, it is not done in according to Jewish practice. As the Qur'an says, Allah appointed every nation its rites. Our rites are not Jewish rites.

• Like 1

Then if it is not the thanksgiving sacrifice it has another significance. Perhaps I'm being uncharitable forgive me I had you come ishmael's line and not Isaac's. in the Old Testament god gave us the mama from heaven that we may live. Jesus's sacrifice for the new covenant gave us not just life but eternal life. That is how Christians see that the new covenant which was per configured in the Old Testament was fulfilled in the new. The new covenant enhanced the old.

So that is in truth what must be shown in message of Islam. Not, that it is not just better than Jesus's message but better than Isaac's

Though I maybe mistaken.

I don't know Isaac (pbuh) got pulled into the discussion when the todah sacrifice is found the Torah, which came after Isaac (pbuh).

In which do you want me to show that the Message of Islam is better than that of Isaac or Jesus (pbuh)? We say that it is the same Message that Allah has sent mankind starting from the time of Adam (pbuh).

It would have to be better than both. For one promised life and the other promised life and resurrection through adoption into Gods family. Hence, that is why we call God Father, So Islam's message must be better than both. So is it?

As for the the Todah, that is the thanks giving sacrifice that is most pleasing to God that is still done today. I was hoping that it would also have been something you did also, as you don't do it that doesn't help Islam's claim any.

Islam's Message is better than Christianity's. It promises life and resurrection.  However, there is no promise of being adopted in to God's family, as God does not have a family. However, the Believers will receive God's good pleasure.  What makes it better than Christianity is that it is the Truth. A lie can sound more pleasing than the Truth. However, in the end, the Truth is the Truth. We believe that Isaac and Jesus (pbut) were both promised life and resurrection - in addition to the rest of the Prophets (pbuh) starting from Adam (pbuh) through Ismael (pbuh) all the way up to the last Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

To be quite frank, Christians don't do Todah sacrifices. Christians do not sacrifice animals, correct? In order to do such a sacrifice, you have to sacrifice an animal. Eating an eucharist bread does not constitute a sacrifice.

Ahhh......that is going to the heart of the matter isn't it? Do Christians make the thanksgiving sacrifice aka the todah? So let's break it down and see.

Book of Matthew 26:26-29

Book of Mark 14:22

Book of Luke 22

Book of John 6:52-59

1 Corinthians 10:14-18

Pardon me

Book of Matthew

The Lord’s Supper.26* j While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.”* k27Then he took a cup, gave thanks,* and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you,28l for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.29* I tell you, from now on I shall not drink this fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it with you new in the kingdom of my Father.”30* Then, after singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Book of Mark

The Lord’s Supper.22* While they were eating,f he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is my body.”23Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it.24He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed* for many.25Amen, I say to you, I shall not drink again the fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”26Then, after singing a hymn,* they went out to the Mount of Olives.g

Book of Luke

The Last Supper.h14When the hour came, he took his place at table with the apostles.15He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover* with you before I suffer,16for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”i17Then he took a cup,* gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves;18for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”19* j Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.”20And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.k

Book of John

The Bread of Life Discourse.

22* The next day, the crowd that remained across the sea saw that there had been only one boat there, and that Jesus had not gone along with his disciples in the boat, but only his disciples had left.23* Other boats came from Tiberias near the place where they had eaten the bread when the Lord gave thanks.24When the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into boats and came to Capernaum looking for Jesus.25And when they found him across the sea they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?”26Jesus answered them and said, “Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled.27Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life,* which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal.”l28So they said to him, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?”29Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent.”30So they said to him, “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?m31* Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written:n

‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”

32So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.o33For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

34p So they said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”35* Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.q36But I told you that although you have seen [me], you do not believe.r37Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,38because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.s39And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it [on] the last day.t40For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him [on] the last day.”u

41The Jews murmured about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven,”42and they said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph? Do we not know his father and mother? Then how can he say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?”v43Jesus answered and said to them, “Stop murmuring* among yourselves.w44No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day.45It is written in the prophets:

‘They shall all be taught by God.’

Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me.

x46Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father.y47Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.48I am the bread of life.49Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;z50this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.51I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”a

52The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?”53Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.54Whoever eats* my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.55For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.57Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.b58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”59These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

1 Corinithians 10

Warning against Idolatry.*14Therefore, my beloved, avoid idolatry.k15I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.16The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?l17Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.m

18Look at israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?n19So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?20No, I mean that what they sacrifice, [they sacrifice] to demons,* not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons.o21You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.p22Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger? Are we stronger than he?q

Now,  I must say your right we are not sacrificing animals.  However, Jesus is the Paschal lamb who offered himself for us.  For Catholics the Eucharist truly is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. In short the perfect todah sacrifice.   

Hard words to accept? You bet.  However, Jesus had this to say about it in the Book of John chapter 6 

The Words of Eternal Life.

*60Then many of his disciples who were listening said, “This saying is hard; who can accept it?”61Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, “Does this shock you?62What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before?*63It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh* is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.64But there are some of you who do not believe.” Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him.c65And he said, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father.”

66As a result of this, many [of] his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.67Jesus then said to the Twelve, “Do you also want to leave?”68Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.69We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”d70Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you twelve? Yet is not one of you a devil?”71He was referring to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot; it was he who would betray him, one of the Twelve.e

Now there are many christians ecclesial communities that would agree with you saying its a symbolic remembrance and not his body and blood.  However, If that were the case then why would St. Paul warn us to examine our selves in the epistle to the 1st Corinithians 11:27-34  

27Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.*28A person should examine himself,* and so eat the bread and drink the cup.29For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment* on himself.30That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying.31If we discerned ourselves, we would not be under judgment;32but since we are judged by [the] Lord, we are being disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.m

33Therefore, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.34If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that your meetings may not result in judgment. The other matters I shall set in order when I come.

There is NO BLOOD sacrifice for atonement of sins in the religion of JESUS (Torah & Injeel).  

Leviticus 16:29-34 (Yom Kippur: Atonement of Sins by Fasting - nil by mouth for 24 hours)*  This compulsory order nullifies all before it. (Mansook)

From their own TORAH a compulsory order: Yom Kippur also known as Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for the Jewish people. Its central themes are atonement and repentance.

Leviticus 16:34 “*This is to be a LASTING ORDINANCE for you:* Atonement is to be made once a year for all the sins of the israelites.”  And it was done, as the Lord commanded Moses.
*** (Yom Kipper: Atonement of Sins by Fasting - nil by mouth for 24 hours)

This is a plain warning to the christians -

*And whoever desires other than Islam as religion - never will it be accepted from him, and he, in the Hereafter, will be numbered among the losers.* Qur'an 8:35

Abu Ahmed,

Excellent use of the book of Leviticus. It does seem to put it in a nut shell doesn't it. It can even be more straight forward when Christ Jesus says the Not the smallest letter of the Law shall pass away until all is accomplished. Matthew 5;18.

Also I must congratulate you on your masterful use of the use of Quran verse 8;35 above it also puts things in a nutshell doesn't it to convert. Yet, conversion to Islam isn't actually necessary for Christians as your Quran states. In fact were encouraged to look to our own scriptures as Quran attests to in the Spider chapter Surat Al-Ankabut 46 ; and argue not with the people of the Scripture, unless it is better and in a good manner ...and say: we believe in what has been revealed to us and in what has been revealed to you, our God and your God is One.