Islamic Forum
gmcbroom

Is Calvinism Like Islam?

PropellerAds

I saw the thread title and I said out loud to myself, "Now that's a peculiar question." I clicked on the thread hoping that the opening post would provide some clarification. No dice. Suffice to say Calvinism and Islam are not two things which I would naturally place in the same sentence and I should know as I've been members of both. You're going to have to ask a more specific question. I don't mean that as a criticism, I'm just kind of making a friendly joke here. I don't want to put you down, I'm just confused.

Edited by Yahya Sulaiman

My apologies your right I should have been more specific. 

Aside from the incarnation I think there are unique similarities but I could be mistaken. 

In Islam you have the Koran as an authority.  In Calvinism you have the Bible as an authority I believe its called Sola Scriptura or Bible alone.

In Islam a certain type of people are condemned to hell namely the unbelievers and polytheists.  In Calvinism they believe in predestination or Total Depravity ie God saves who God saves.

In Islam there is no Eucharist.  In Calvinism they deny the bodily presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

So aside for one being Christian and the other Islamic they seem similar. Am I mistaken?

There are similarities of many religions. But they are different due to their differences. Islam is based on the fundamental belief in one God and the prophet Muhammad. Calvinists do not accept Muhammad as a prophet that is what makes them not Muslims. 

My apologies your right I should have been more specific. 

Aside from the incarnation I think there are unique similarities but I could be mistaken. 

In Islam you have the Koran as an authority.  In Calvinism you have the Bible as an authority I believe its called Sola Scriptura or Bible alone.

In Islam a certain type of people are condemned to hell namely the unbelievers and polytheists.  In Calvinism they believe in predestination or Total Depravity ie God saves who God saves.

In Islam there is no Eucharist.  In Calvinism they deny the bodily presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

So aside for one being Christian and the other Islamic they seem similar. Am I mistaken?

No, Islam is not based on the concept of Sola Scriptura. The Prophet (pbuh) taught a lot of things that were passed on by his companions (ra) unto the future generations.

Yes, in Islam, we believe in destiny. Disbelievers will be in Hell because they rejected faith.

Obviously there is no Eucharist in Islam. I would not consider this a common thing with Calvinism since it teaches the Eurachrist.

Although there are "Qur'an only Muslims" or "hadith rejectors" they are in a minority (and tend to be treated very poorly and discourteously by other Muslims, in my experience, which discomforts me). We do not believe in the infallible Book as our sole source of authority, nor even do most of us look at scripture collectively as our sole source of authority. In fact if anything it goes too far in the other direction sometimes. I have often thought that if the muftis declared the sky to be brown Muslim countries everywhere would have their textbooks rewrite the color wheel. From the way people talk you'd think that scholars were as infallible as the prophets, at least when giving a majority consensus.

Belief in hell is extremely common amongst Christians. That it exists in Islam too is hardly comparable to the idea of predestination, which has pretty much fallen by the wayside anyway least as an official part of the constitution of the American Presbyterian church.

The reason we don't have a Eucharist is because we don't believe in the crucifixion, resurrection, atonement, or strict reliability of the New Testament. There really is nothing to symbolize when there was no breaking of the body and blood to begin with, nor any need for it to have taken place. Allah Himself is our "Merciful Redeemer", and "never had a son".

If we do have anything important in common with Calvinists then it's the focus on God's sovereignty in all things. But even then they have to go and make Jesus into God.

The best way to understand Islam is perhaps not by comparing it to another religion but just by studying it on its own terms.

Edited by Yahya Sulaiman

I see. I have no real interest in understanding Islam as that is not a faith I believe in. It's not out of malice, I'm just being truthful. I believe in the incarnation of Jesus Christ and Islam doesn't. For me all I can do humbly is accept Islam. Not as my faith but as the faith of many.

I hope you read the following post: http://www.gawaher.com/topic/734272-who-is-a-believer/?p=1229733, and other posts on this site talking about the veracity of the Islamic faith. You might not be interested at the moment, but you might be in the future. Even if you are not interested in the sense that you would convert, it is good for you to know about these things.

I read the post it was indeed very informative.  I do indeed appreaciate others peoples views that helped guide them to their specific path especially prophecies. Mine own path to the Hidden God or Father who created All, that is expressed through Jesus Christ his Son, and the his breath, The Living and Holy Spirit; is quite unique.  It takes faith and courage to post it for all to see.  As a Maronite Catholic I appreciate it. 

If one did not know Christian history well and those that came before Calvin. I think one would have to say that Calvin to a page out of Islams play book just looking at the surface of things. Since Islam came before Calvinism. Calvin had his hands full with Luther though. That is another topic and probably not for a Islamic forum. 

I see. I have no real interest in understanding Islam as that is not a faith I believe in. It's not out of malice, I'm just being truthful. I believe in the incarnation of Jesus Christ and Islam doesn't. For me all I can do humbly is accept Islam. Not as my faith but as the faith of many.

As faithful Catholics all we have to keep in mind as far as our relationship with Islam is in the CCC 839-845. That sums it up.