Islamic Forum
asiyaD

Hello From New Sister

Assalaamu-Alaikum All,

I am a new revert sister (as of March 20, 2013) and am hoping that this forum will be a welcoming and friendly place.  I am 46 yrs old, from a non-muslim family, so looking forward to discussion with this group regarding the daily practicalities of adjusting to Islam. 

Wassalam,

Sister Asiya

• Like 2

PropellerAds

Wa alaykum salam sister Asiya,

Welcome to the forum and Islam! Good to have you here :)

Mina.

Wa alaykum assalam sister,

It is great to hear that you are a new revert. This is a great place to learn about Islam and don't worry. Several of us (including myself) are reverts as well. I also deal with my family being non-Muslim so I understand some of those hardships. What area are you from?

Also, when you are up to it, you might tell us a little bit about how you came to Islam, if you want to? I'll pray that Allah will continue to guide you.

Wa alaykum assalam everyone,

Thank you for the nice reception!  I live in Connecticut.  To give a brief answer to Nightingale's question, I came to Islam gradually.  I was raised in a fairly non-religious household and only attended church regularly for a few years (my elderly stepfather attended an Episcopal church in the "good" part of town mainly to hobnob with the wealthy folks and when my sister and I were young and cute, we were brought along for him to show off.  He and my mother divorced when I was 12, and she did not attend church thereafter.  I followed a Christian-ish path until my thirties, when I became Catholic since that was my husband's faith and we had a child, so we felt the need to reestablish religion in our lives.   Looking back, I wish I had put more thought in before converting, as I never agreed with the trinitarian viewpoint.  My husband no longer considers himself Catholic, and at this point, due to depression, chooses to believe in God alone but not attend any religious institution.  I made my imam fully aware of the situation prior to taking my shahada as I was concerned about the various opinions regarding female reverts and their non-muslim spouses.  He impressed upon me that yes, it is a sin to remain with my non-muslim spouse, but it is a greater sin to be 100 % certain that Islam is the truth and to not take shahada.  I say du'a constantly for forgiveness from Allah for my sin, so I would appreciate not being flamed with directives to leave my spouse immediately or else.  I have resolved myself to stay with my husband in a platonic relationship and to devote myself to guiding him towards Islam by example and gentle persuasion.  My husband is  unemployed and we have a 12 year old son, so I feel that for me to move out at this time would be adding insult to injury and might push him over the edge to self-harm of some sort.  I pray to Allah for either of two outcomes to the situation: i) my husband takes shahada with intention of practicing Islam or ii)  we part peacefully once he finds new employment.  I prefer the first, but Allah knows best. 

That said, my reason for reverting to Islam is based on faith and logic -- it "feels" most natural to me to worship only Allah, to submit to his will directly and to ask for his merciful forgiveness without the help of a "middleman".  The logic part of it is that Jesus (pbuh) never asked to be worshipped, rather Paul was the inventor of the crucifixion/sacrifice/salvation story, and Muhammed is the final prophet of God's message to us here on Earth.    

• Like 1

Wa alaykum assalam,

Just wanted to add a few more things, if ya'll can be patient with me.  My husband is entirely supportive of my reversion, but simply lacks the emotional reserves at this point to plunge into a new way of life himself.  I can tell, though, that the positive changes he sees in me are affecting him.  My son is also supportive, and he is interested in learning about Islam and how to pray.  He loves languages, so he's also interested in learning arabic.  I may be approaching this all with rose-colored glasses, but I remain convinced that Allah is forgiving and merciful.  

Asiya 

• Like 1

A very good lesson. I will pray as well that Allah will guide both your husband and your son to the truth of Islam. As long as their hearts are open, there is hope. Feel free to look around, there is quite a bit of knowledge here. I am happy that you are a sister in Islam. :)

And Allah is most merciful and forgiving.

Wa alaikum assalam sister Asiya
welcom.gif to Gawaher

I'm glad you decided to join us. I hope that you find your stay here at IF beneficial, as well as enjoyable, and inshaAllah we benefit from each other.
As we advise all new comers, please take a moment to read our Forum Rules. This will greatly enhance your understanding of this community, and ensures a smooth relation with everyone around here.

As a new member, you will notice a number of temporary limitations. Please read about them here:
New Members: Read This!

And now here is your welcome drink, on the house!
So sit back, and let me pour you a glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice!

post-1-1102388849.jpg

Assalamo alaikum wa rahmat'Ullahi wa barakatu (may the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

Congratulations on embracing Islam sister Asiya. You've made the best choice anyone can make in a lifetime, and you now have 1.6 billion brothers and sisters around the world.

All of us here are more than happy to help you with any questions that you may have, regarding the beautiful religion of Islam. Please ask all you want in the new Muslims Q&A section. You would probably find many of your questions pre-answered there already.

I also suggest that you browse this Quick How-to Guide For New Muslims , it has many video tutorials that would help you as a new Muslim.

Regarding your husband, the well known sheikh: Dr.Qaradawi ruled that in your case you can keep your marriage, as log as there is hope in him reverting, but without physical contact (if that's what you mean by platonic relationship). Its too early anyway, and you have months ahead to work on it.

May Allah Al-Mighty keep you always in the true path, make it easy for you and your family, and may He reward you with His blessings and happiness in both worlds, ameen.

Thank you, dot, for referencing the ruling by Dr. Qaradawi.  I am aware of this ruling, I only wish it were more widely known.  And yes, platonic in our case does mean no physical contact (this was the case long prior to my reversion, due to issues with my spouse's age, lack of interest, and long-term depression).  

I look forward to exploring the forum and taking part in the community.

Asiya

Quoted from dot's post:

Assalamo alaikum wa rahmat'Ullahi wa barakatu (may the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

Regarding your husband, the well known sheikh: Dr.Qaradawi ruled that in your case you can keep your marriage, as log as there is hope in him reverting, but without physical contact (if that's what you mean by platonic relationship). Its too early anyway, and you have months ahead to work on it.

May Allah Al-Mighty keep you always in the true path, make it easy for you and your family, and may He reward you with His blessings and happiness in both worlds, ameen.

Wa Alaikum Assalam sister,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay!